Sign in to follow this  
Django

Regina on Leno

You would think the fact that since you listen to her album all the time now that you'de know she is in fact better than that performance and perhaps the idea of her being nervous playing for her first time on the Jay Leno show knowing thousands are watching her on t.v. would come to mind but apparently not. If I could slightly change the first one to;

* You Blow, she did awesome considering the circumstances.

This poll is so offensive, do you have any idea how sensitive a subject this would be, 'fading talent' what is that meant to imply?

Her talent and understanding continues to grow in leaps and bounds, you have it backwards.

Ouch, my feelings. Thanks for your input, Django. That thought did cross my mind as she did seem rather shy with the little nods and the folded hands and whatnot. It still doesn't change the fact that I was certainly disappointed when lots of other people weren't able to listen to her the way I did and have since, religiously. Maybe my standards are too high or maybe she could have conducted a more professional performance knowing she would be confronting that situation.

What I /meant/ by talent is not in any sense of the word her musical prowess, but you have to think about the fact that she's done live shows in front of large audiences before. She could have prepared and made a real impact. Instead, it got to her, the music came out rough, and she must have felt guilty aftwerward.

Please keep posting responses and opinions.

Here's the thing, with voices you are immediately affected by thoughts and events. I have been singing for years, in musicals in front of thousands, but when it came to singing in front of !3! HSC markers then my voice suddenly when kaputz!

Maybe it was just Leno's horrid comedy that got to her. I heard she'd did pretty well on Conan. And it appears to me Conans stage is very personal and a little more inviting. Where as Leno's sparse empty stage with just you in the middle is a little daunting and lonely. Leno attracts a pop audience, Conan atleast gives light to jazz and instrumentalist. Did you ever consider Regina's directed audience. I can't imagine someone who went to see Jay Leno much understanding the quotations in the music of BYOS or the surreal world of Back of a Truck. And those being her earlier songs before at the begining of this marvouless ride she has been taken, lead me to wonder why she needs to make much more of an impact than what she already achieves with her live performance and brilliant albums. If you want to make an impact than do what any good fan comes over, put it on when friends come over, put it on at work, word of mouth, I know any music conversation I have starts with me saying "There's this fantastic artist out and her name is..." and you already know the end of that sentence.

And that's because she HAS made an impact.

HAHA! Thank you for pointing out /Leno's/ lack of talent(couldn't agree more). Actually, after I made that last post, I skimmed some google entries trying to find a vid for that Conan performance. I hope, if she was as good as you heard, that she turned on a few news fans in the audience. I also think it's cool that she has fans in Aussieland. Cheers!

Yeah, I heard about her from a friend in America and then on Myspace.com where she has her own little music page. But basically fell in love with her music rather hastily. I don't listen to much else and when people listen to it with me and don't 100% approve I get all defensive HAHA.

See even if she had done a great job on Leno, I still wouldn't have watched haha. "OMG They used incorrect grammar in this news paper article HA...ha...funny right?" Oh well, atleast he gave her a hug, protecting her from nuclear fall out with his giant chin. J/K

But also have you heard her other live performances, she does some unique stuff, like when i heard Bobbin' for Apples the guitar was like seven thousand notes out of tune, but in the end the audience really respected the lyrics. And that's what I will always hold so dear about Spektor, she never forgets the poetry in music.

"People are just people, they shouldn't make you nervous, people are just people like you."

Audiences, eh? It's so funny that they change your behaviour regardless of how used to them you are. For better or worse, I don't believe that anyone performs the same alone as they do on stage. But that's the heart & soul of live music.

With this in mind, I think that the Leno performance that Regina did was phenomenal, because regardless of any percieved 'imperfections', that's how the music came out on that night. Another unique Regina experience was created. It's all part of the poetry of her performance...

One last thing. I've been listening ALOT to Regina's live shows that I've downloaded, and I have to say, I love them! I think Regi is a fully & naturally gifted live performer. You can really feel what a difference the crowd and venue make in the musical performance, and to me that experience is just as important as the written content. Far too many people/labels forget these things when recording albums. We are then left with a record so tweaked and finely polished, that the listening experience is less organic & natural. The human connection is lost.

Regina's music has the most profound human element that I have ever felt, and that's probably why I love it so much. Never stop playin' Reg! We feel ya!