Sign in to follow this  
stwongbad85

"Marry Ann meets the Gravediggers and other short stories by regina spektor"

Review in New York Times:

Bleeps and Blips as Far From Broadway as Possible

By MICHAEL CERVERIS

Published: February 26, 2006

Regina Spektor

I did first pick up "Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers and Other Short Stories by Regina Spektor" (Transgressive Records), another import, because the packaging was good. It looked like an Edward Gorey thing, and I couldn't tell if it was spoken word or from a theater piece. Even after listening, I wasn't quite sure. It's almost all just piano and voice. They're really quirky, idiosyncratic stories, great character studies and unusual vignettes. They're a bit like Tori Amos, only without the personal angst and with more wit and detachment. It's genuinely odd, as opposed to "Look at me" odd. It's the kind of thing I'd usually resist for being too arty or too self-aware, but it's so clever and seems so personal that I don't think it's as put on as it seems to be. It's smart, a little scary and very sexy, too, because of all that.

Roll Eyes

Loverly. And in a HUGE paper no less!

But what's with the picture of Regina looking like a nurse? Wow, imagine she had become a nurse instead of a musician? No really, think about it! Alot of things would be different! Wow, I just had that "It's a Wonderful Life" sad moment where you realise how much of a difference one person can make to so many people, and what a loss it would be if they were never there.

I'm changing my signature now.

Haha, there's a venue here in Chicago where a buddy of mine works at called The Empty Bottle. I usually go there for their Jazz and Improv Festival, but he told me that this band Grizzly Bear was going to be playing and how last time they played there he was really impressed, so I went and checked them out, they were pretty awesome. To make it even better the ticket was only $8 so I couldn't resist.

Hi all, new to the board.

I have most of Regina’s albums (11:11, Songs, Soviet Kitsch, Begin to Hope) and I was wondering if there was anything I was missing that would be on Marry Ann? Are these the same tracks or are the alternated versions?

Also, is the DVD the same one I got with Soviet Kitsch?

Thanks Smiler

-SR

The DVD is the same, except that it's PAL formated and Region 2 coded.

The menus are different, but all of the content is the same.

Seems the only official album you are missing is the Live at Bull Moose EP. There are singles as well, but if you really wanted those I assume that you would already.

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

Seems the only official album you are missing is the Live at Bull Moose EP.

Roll Eyesand Live in California 2006 EP. JohnnyC, I remember when you were good..... Cool

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:

Seems the only official album you are missing is the Live at Bull Moose EP.

Roll Eyesand Live in California 2006 EP. JohnnyC, I remember when you were good..... Cool

Touché! Since it's not in stores though, OR available outside of the US, I hope I can be forgiven for letting it slip my mind there Razzer

quote:

Touché! Since it's not in stores though, OR available outside of the US, I hope I can be forgiven for letting it slip my mind there Razzer

You mean you can't download it from iTunes either?? Do you need a copy up there, eh?