Sign in to follow this  
stwongbad85

Friday Nov. 11 = 11:11 Holiday

I was just looking at my nifty calendar and noticed that this friday, the date will be 11/11/2005. more importantly 11/11. I would like to officially declare this some type of international music (Regina) Holiday. Where everyone one listens to Regina all day on their ipods,day of silence, write Regina a little poem or something cheezy like doing a finger painting. I dont have anything specific in mind. I just really want an excuse to listen to lots of regina (not that i need an excuse) and not to do any work on Friday (not that i will do much work anyway.

If anyone has any i deas though, I'm always game.

have i reached the line of Obsessive, or Insane?.....i actually can not tell at this point.

I was just looking at my nifty calendar and noticed that this friday, the date will be 11/11/2005. more importantly 11/11. I would like to officially declare this some type of international music (Regina) Holiday. Where everyone one listens to Regina all day on their ipods,day of silence, write Regina a little poem or something cheezy like doing a finger painting. I dont have anything specific in mind. I just really want an excuse to listen to lots of regina (not that i need an excuse) and not to do any work on Friday (not that i will do much work anyway.

If anyone has any i deas though, I'm always game.

have i reached the line of Obsessive, or Insane?.....i actually can not tell at this point.

I would like to Propose on this day, that one should........

. (do one or more/all of the following)......

cut their own hair, kiss a rock, listen to november rain (twice), read an Ezra Pound poem, only read the backs of cereal boxes, eat an apple from the knowledge tree, buy a statue of baby jesus (from walgreens), gargle with peroxide, kiss the lamppost between 224th street and 225th(when it’s a full moon optional)

in the bronx, find a wallet, hallucinate a cat between your feet, only eat boxes of tangerines, make a bowl of soup, dye your hair red, solder two wires together, eat a slice of wonder bread, Find a girl named Mary Ann and tell her she is a bitch, Write your own version of ReginaSaurus: insert your ownnameAsuarus and apply the words to yourself, Love your Girlfirend/mother, Dunk your head into the sink and take a gulp (soap/bottle caps optional), save a little plant, transplant it, and name it Motzart, kiss somebody so both of you can practice, only listen to radio BBC, go to a bar and eat all the peanuts, put on a fake moustache, drink heineken, eat cornflakes (basically everything from aching to pupate).

Or create your own and tell everyone about it.

I think i will call Nov. 11th. "Spektorial Day"

Once again, Lemme know if I have lost my mind. I think its jsut boredom at work, but i could be wrong.

Love, David

I'll do my best, but strangely enough I did most of those before I knew of Regina. This I refer to as "the dark ages". There may be some difficulty with "kiss the lamppost between 224th street and 225th". My town only goes up to 17th St. Frowner

Later David

Shawn

I know the date already passed, but that was Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the US was it not?

I know Regina is awesome, but I celebrate her music every day. I'm gonna keep 11/11 as Remembrance Day.

My counter proposal? Make 2006 the Year of Reginka.

quote:

yes Johnnyc you are correct about 11-11 being rememberence day, and veterans day, coincidentally it is also the anniversary of the following occurences:

Events

* 1215 - The Fourth Lateran Council meets, adopting the doctrine of transubstantiation, meaning that bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ.

* 1500 - Treaty of Granada - Louis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them.

* 1620 - In what is now Provincetown Harbor near Cape Cod, the Mayflower Compact is signed on the Mayflower, establishing the basic laws for the Plymouth Colony.

* 1634 - Following pressure from Anglican bishop John Atherton, the Irish House of Commons passes "An Act for the Punishment for the Vice of Buggery" (anal sex).

* 1675 - Gottfried Leibniz demonstrated integral calculus for the first time to find the area under the graph of y = f(x) function.

* 1675 -Guru Gobind Singh becomes the Tenth Guru of the Sikhs.

* 1831 - In Jerusalem, Virginia, Nat Turner is hanged after inciting a violent slave uprising.

* 1839 - The Virginia Military Institute is founded in Lexington, Virginia.

* 1834 - Hans Christian Andersen's The Ugly Duckling was first published.

* 1864 - American Civil War: Sherman's March to the Sea - Union General William Tecumseh Sherman begins burning Atlanta, Georgia to the ground in preparation for his march south.

* 1865 - Treaty of Sinchula is signed in which Bhutan ceded the areas east of the Teesta River to the British East India Company.

* 1874 - Gamma Phi Beta sorority is founded at Syracuse University.

* 1880 - Australian bushranger and bank robber Ned Kelly is hanged in Melbourne.

* 1887 - Anarchist Haymarket Martyrs August Spies, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer and George Engel are executed.

* 1887 - Construction of the Manchester Ship Canal starts at Eastham.

* 1889 - Washington is admitted as the 42nd U.S. state.

* 1911 - Many cities in the midwest broke their record highs and lows on the same day as a strong cold front rolls through. (see The 11/11/11 cold wave).

* 1918 - World War I ends : Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside of Compiègne in France. The war officially stops at 11:00.

* 1918 - Józef Piłsudski comes to Warsaw and assumes supreme military power in Poland. Poland regains its independence.

* 1918 - Emperor Charles I of Austria abdicates.

* 1919 - The Centralia Massacre in Centralia, Washington results the deaths of four members of the American Legion and the lynching of a local leader of the IWW.

* 1921 - The Tomb of the Unknowns is dedicated by US President Warren G. Harding at Arlington National Cemetery.

* 1923 - First try for a putsch by Hitler in Munich (Germany).

* 1930 - Patent number US1781541 was awarded to Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd for their invention, the Einstein refrigerator.

* 1933 - Dust Bowl: In South Dakota, a very strong dust storm strips topsoil from desiccated farmlands.

* 1940 - World War II: Battle of Taranto - The Royal Navy launches the first aircraft carrier strike in history, on the Italian fleet at Taranto.

* 1940 - The German cruiser Atlantis captures top secret British mail, and sends it to Japan.

* 1940 - Armistice Day Blizzard: An unexpected blizzard kills 144 in U.S. Midwest.

* 1942 - Road to Morocco, starring Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour, premieres.

* 1962 - Kuwait's National Assembly ratifies the Constitution of Kuwait.

* 1965 - Rhodesia (now called Zimbabwe) was declared independent by the white minority regime of Ian Smith.

* 1966 - NASA launches spaceship Gemini 12.

* 1967 - Vietnam War: In a propaganda ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, three American prisoners of war are released by the Viet Cong and turned over to "new left" antiwar activist Tom Hayden.

* 1968 - Vietnam War: Operation Commando Hunt initiated. The goal was to interdict men and supplies on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, through Laos into South Vietnam.

* 1968 - A second republic is declared in the Maldives.

* 1969 - Jim Morrison (The Doors) is arrested by the FBI after repeatedly prodding a stewardess.

* 1972 - Vietnam War: Vietnamization - The United States Army turns over the massive Long Binh military base to South Vietnam.

* 1975 - Angola becomes independent from Portugal.

* 1975 - Australian constitutional crisis of 1975: Australian Governor-General Sir John Kerr dismisses the government of Gough Whitlam and commissions Malcolm Fraser as caretaker Prime Minister, and announces a general election to be held in early December.

* 1978 - Maumoon Abdul Gayoom succeeded Ibrahim Nasir as the president of the Republic of Maldives. He has since been re-elected for six consecutive 5-year terms.

o A renovated Hollywood Sign is unveiled, replacing the older version that was built in 1923.

* 1986 - Sperry Rand and Burroughs merge to form Unisys, becoming the second largest computer company.

* 1988 - In Sacramento, California, police find a body buried in the lawn of 60-year-old boardinghouse landlady Dorothea Puente .

* 1989 - Fall of the Berlin Wall .

* 1992 - The Church of England votes to allow women to become priests.

* 1993 - Australian Prime minister P. J. Keating makes a famous speech at the dedication of the tomb and the burial of the unknown Australian soldier

* 1997 - Mary McAleese inaugurated the eighth President of Ireland.

* 1997 - Marianne Biancuzzo is charged for drowning her newborn baby in a toilet and hiding the remains in a coffee can in Tucson, Arizona.

* 1999 - A six-storey apartment block collapses in Foggia, Italy, killing 62.

* 2000 - In Kaprun, Austria, 155 skiers and snowboarders die when a cable car catches fire in an alpine tunnel.

* 2004 - New Zealand Tomb of the Unknown Warrior dedicated at the National War Memorial, Wellington

o Yasser Arafat is confirmed dead by the the Palestine Liberation Organization, of unidentified causes. Mahmoud Abbas is elected chairman of the PLO minutes later.

o Official Guided by Voices Day in San Diego, California.

o Mary McAleese inaugurated for a second term as President of Ireland.

* 2005 - David Irving, a British Nazi sympathizer and historian, is arrested in Austria on a 1989 warrant for offenses related to Holocaust denial.

Births

* 1050 - Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1106)

* 1154 - King Sancho I of Portugal (d. 1212)

* 1155 - King Alfonso VIII of Castile (d. 1214)

* 1220 - Alphonse of Toulouse, son of Louis VIII of France (d. 1271)

* 1493 - Paracelsus, doctor († 1541)

* 1493 - Bernardo Tasso, Italian poet (d. 1569)

* 1599 - Prince Octavio Piccolomini, Duke of Amalfi, Austrian field marshal (d. 1656)

* 1633 - George Savile, 1st Marquess of Halifax, British statesman (d. 1695)

* 1668 - Johann Albert Fabricius, German classical scholar and bibliographer (d. 1736)

* 1743 - Carl Peter Thunberg, Swedish naturalist (d. 1828)

* 1744 - Abigail Adams, First Lady of the United States (d. 1818)

* 1748 - King Charles IV of Spain (d. 1819)

* 1764 - Barbara Juliana, Baroness von Krüdener, Russian writer (d. 1824)

* 1791 - Josef Munzinger, Swiss Federal Councillor (d. 1855)

* 1792 - Mary Anne Evans , English wife of Benjamin Disraeli (d. 1872)

* 1821 - Fyodor Dostoyevsky , Russian novelist (d. 1881)

* 1828 - Sri Deep Narayan Mahaprabhuji, Hindu saint (d. 1963)

* 1852 - Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf, Austro-Hungarian field marshal (d. 1925)

* 1863 - Paul Signac, French painter (d. 1935)

* 1864 - Alfred Hermann Fried, Austrian pacifist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1921)

* 1869 - King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy (d. 1947)

* 1882 - King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden (d. 1973)

* 1885 - George Patton, American general (d. 1945)

* 1887 - Roland Young, American actor (d. 1953)

* 1889 - Clifton Webb, American actor (d. 1966)

* 1891 - Rabbit Maranville, baseball player (d. 1954)

* 1897 - Lucky Luciano, American gangster (d. 1962)

* 1898 - Rene Clair, French film dirctor (d.

* 1899 - Pat O'Brien, American film actor (d. 1983)

* 1900 - Halina Konopacka, Polish athlete (d. 1989)

* 1901 - F. Van Wyck Mason, American author (d. 1978)

* 1903 - Sam Spiegel, Austrian-born film producer (d. 1985)

* 1904 - Alger Hiss, American government official and spy (d. 1994)

* 1904 - J. H. C. Whitehead, British mathematician (d. 1960)

* 1909 - Robert Ryan, American actor (d. 1973)

* 1912 - Thomas C. Mann, American diplomat

* 1914 - Howard Fast, American author (d. 2003)

* 1914 - Henry Wade, American lawyer (d. 2001)

* 1915 - William Proxmire, U.S. Senator (d. 2005)

* 1918 - Stubby Kaye, American comic actor (d. 1997)

* 1919 - Martin Balsam, American actor (d. 1996)

* 1919 - Kalle Päätalo, Finnish novelist (d. 2000)

* 1920 - Roy Jenkins, British politician (d. 2003)

* 1922 - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., American novelist

* 1925 - June Whitfield, British comedienne

* 1925 - Jonathan Winters, American comedian and actor

* 1928 - LaVern Baker, American singer (d. 1997)

* 1928 - Carlos Fuentes, Mexican writer

* 1929 - Hans Magnus Enzensberger, German writer

* 1938 - Ants Antson, Estonian speed skater

* 1939 - Denise Alexander, American actress

* 1940 - Barbara Boxer, U.S. Senator

* 1943 - Doug Frost, Australian swimming coach

* 1944 - Jesse Colin Young, American musician (The Youngbloods)

* 1945 - Daniel Ortega, President of Nicaragua

* 1950 - Mircea Dinescu, Romanian poet

* 1953 - Marshall Crenshaw, American musician

* 1954 - Meindert Zwaagstra, American patriot

* 1959 - Lee Haney, American bodybuilder

* 1960 - Peter Parros, American actor

* 1960 - Stanley Tucci, American actor and film director

* 1961 - Corinne Hermès, French singer

* 1962 - Demi Moore, American actress

* 1962 - James Morrison, Australian musician

* 1964 - Judith Edelman, American musician

* 1964 - Calista Flockhart, American actress

* 1966 - Alison Doody, Irish actress

* 1967 - Gil de Ferran, Brazilian race car driver

* 1969 - Carson Kressley, American fashion expert

* 1973 - Jason White, American musician (Green Day)

* 1974 - Leonardo DiCaprio, American actor

* 1977 - Ben Hollioake, English cricketer (d. 2002)

* 1981 - Natalie Glebova, Russian-Canadian beauty queen

* 1985 - Kalan Porter, Canadian singer

Deaths

* 397 - Martin of Tours, French saint

* 537 - Pope Silverius, saint

* 1028 - Constantine VIII of the Byzantine Empire (b. 960)

* 1285 - King Peter III of Aragon (b. 1239)

* 1623 - Philippe de Mornay, French writer (b. 1549)

* 1686 - Louis II de Bourbon, Prince de Condé, French general (b. 1621)

* 1986 - Otto von Guericke, German scientist, inventor, and politician (b. 1602)

* 1831 - Nat Turner, American slave rebel (b. 1800)

* 1855 - Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (b. 1813)

* 1880 - Ned Kelly, Australian bushranger (hanged)

* 1880 - Lucretia Mott, American feminist and abolitionist (b. 1793)

* 1884 - Alfred Brehm German zoologist (b. 1827)

* 1887 - Haymarket martyrs:

* 1887 - George Engel (b. 1836)

* 1887 - Adolph Fischer (b. 1858)

* 1887 - Albert Parsons (b. 1848)

* 1887 - August Spies (b. 1855)

* 1917 - Liliuokalani of Hawaii, Queen of Hawaii (b. 1838)

* 1931 - Shibusawa Eiichi, Japanese industrialist (b. 1840)

* 1939 - Jan Opletal, czech student, victim of nazi violence in Prague

* 1945 - Jerome David Kern, American composer (b. 1885)

* 1969 - Ernest Ansermet, Swiss conductor (b. 1883)

* 1973 - David "Stringbean" Akeman, American banjo player (b. 1915)

* 1973 - Artturi Ilmari Virtanen, Finnish chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1895)

* 1974 - Alfonso Leng, Chilean composer (b. 1894)

* 1975 - Theodosius Dobzhansky, Ukrainian geneticist (b. 1900)

* 1976 - Alexander Calder, American artist (b. 1898)

* 1977 - Greta Keller, Vienna-born cabaret singer and actress (b. 1903)

* 1979 - Dimitri Tiomkin, Ukrainian-born composer (b. 1894)

* 1997 - Rodney Milburn, American athlete (b. 1950)

* 1999 - Mary Kay Bergman, American voice actress (b. 1961)

* 1999 - Jacobo Timmerman, Argentine writer and journalist (b. 1923)

* 2004 - Yasser Arafat, Palestinian leader, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1929)

* 2005- Lord Lichfield, British photographer

* 2005 - Peter Drucker, American management theorist (b. 1909)

Holidays and observances

* R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours

* Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries

* Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)

* Angola - Independence Day (1975)

* Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)

* Poland - Independence Day (1918)

* South Korea - Pepero Day

* United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")

* Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)

* Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.

* Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom and Canada

.Just thought I would put a bit more historical context into our everyday lives

(source: wikipedia: online encyclopedia)

___________Love,

________________David

Well Im at a job where im at a computer for 8 hours a day, yet only actually have work to do for 2 hrs. So the rest is spent reading online publications (if you can recomend anyhting interesting let me know).

I read on cnn.com (or heard on npr maybe) a recnetscinetific study was done comparing wikipedia to the Encylopedia Britanica,

"Based on 42 articles reviewed by experts, the average scientific entry in Wikipedia contained four errors or omissions, while Britannica had three. Of eight "serious errors" the reviewers found — including misinterpretations of important concepts — four came from each source, the journal reported."

So yes there are errors, when people can make up whatever random articles they want about anyhting they want, but

I would say that those figures are pretty good margin of error for a free encylopedia published entirely by volunteers.

but any way.........is your name supposed to be Johnny C (as in Johnny Calhoun) or John NYC (as is John talking about the boy from new york city)? just wondering?. its been buggin me latley and I could not find any Wikipedia articles on it (i looked).

_________________Love,

__________________________David

Celebrating 11:11 only once a year is madness! Do something Regina-related every day when you notice it's 11:11. Strangely I've noticed that I look at my clock at 11:11 most days.

But I'm not obsessed.

Hahaha, wow. Stwongbad... I gotta say. Wow.

I've never considered my name to be that deep, as in fact, it isn't. But based on your recent revelations here, I'm not surprised that you found the time to ponder... Alas, my nickname is just my real name.

As for reco'd sites to visit, I'm sure given more time and thought, I could think of many. But I always find Flickr.com OR deviantart.com good ways to pass the time. Jumping from person to person to see their photography and artwork is one of the amazing things that the internet has allowed us to do, and I recognise that fact every time that I do it.

Otherwise, if you have firefox installed, YOU of all people HAVE to get the "stumble upon" extension. It's mind bogglingly cool. Basically anyone that sees a cool/interesting webpage (AND has stumble upoon installed), can mark that page for a certain category. Instantly adding it to the pool of pages for that category. Then anyone with the extension can "STUMBLE" into a reco'd page at any time! Try it out.

Also it's 2:54pm. I want to celebrate 11:11 now. Only twice a day is too little for me.