Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Slow Board

Hey Don Q,

I see you signed in every-so-often, but rarely see a post. Don't be a stranger!

Q. What are the names of Regina's super cool SUNY friends that recently performed with her at Irving Plaza? There have been other shows, but this is the most recent.

Later ma peeps

Shawn

I always wondered when we were going to start a trivia section on here.

The holiday season is crushing me too, Shawn. I have the 3:00am-1:00pm shift at UPS. I have nightmares of giant boxes and caged-conveyer belts attacking me.

As for your question I believe your talking about Chris Kuffner, and Ben Kalb.

I'll take us back to Bob Dylan for this one.

Q: What was his first guitar, and how old was he?

Q: Who did he write his first song for?

As for his stage name I found this statement in one of his interviews.

DYLAN: No. I haven't read that much of Dylan Thomas. It's a common thing to change your name. It isn't that incredible. Many people do it. People change their town, change their country. New appearance, new mannerisms. Some people have many names. I wouldn't pick a name unless I thought I was that person. Sometimes you are held back by your name. Sometimes there are advantages to having a certain name. Names are labels so we can refer to one another. But deep inside us we don't have a name. We have no name. I just chose that name and it stuck.

Hi Django. And Shawn, I will try not to be a stranger.

Re: Mr. Zimmerman's stage name. Ah! The capricious Uncle Bobby.

Way back (ahem) in my youth, I did indeed read

an interview or article that stated the source, or whatever, of his stage name was Dylan Thomas.

Given the fact that this was in the 1960's,

it would seem to make sense to me, perhaps,

that many folk singers back then would have likely been partial to Dylan Thomas. If it was just a 'name change' why did he choose Dylan? Even if he was not a fan of Dylan Thomas, maybe he just liked the way it rolled off the tongue

after 'Bob'.....

wth.......have a great week-end!

ps David.....what do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by stwongbad85:

O.K. (what does "O.K." stand for any way?)

Old Kinderhook, the nickname of america's first New Yorker President, Martin Van Buren (1829 to 1833 I think). While vice president to Andy Jackson, Van Buren would sign off on important papers with these unofficial initials, O.K. Jackson's enemies started a rumor to slander the president, who lacked a formal education and was a poor speller, that this was Jackson's shorthand for 'Oull Korrect' or 'All Correct'. Neat!

This had nothing to do with Regina, whom I'm secretly in love with. Shhh, don't tell!

wow im glad this thread is getting some attention.

in responce to some questions, yes dylan thomas is the correct answer (as far as every source i have ever read on Bob D. goes).

on the ologies, there are 16, porcupine-ology, antler-ology, car-ology, bus-ology, train-ology, plane-ology

mama-ology, papa-ology, you-ology, me-ology

love-ology, kiss-ology, stay-ology, please-ology ,I'm sorry-ology, forgive me-ology.

on the O.K. question....dont know i was really asking, but im so glad i know now. great initiative brendan!!

Regarding shawns question on Regin's sunny class mates, i would also like to note that in addition to ben and chris, other Sunny alumn Langhorne Slim was her first opening act at that show.

.....................Love,

...........................David

Hmmmmm, always wondered about the origin of O.K.

You live...you learn!

As for mama-ology and papa-ology.. I had this aching feeling I was missing two.

More questions to come... just..... need.... more...earl grey...teeaaaa

Later Days

Shawn

Hey Don, I've seen a similar article stating the Dylan Thomas admiration as his motive too, so I don't know what to think. I guess its not all that important why, he had his reasons.

I didn't know Langhorne Slim was there, good pick-up David.

Alright, this one could potentially be hard, depending on your knowledge of Beatles songs.

Q: In which of Regina's songs does she mention two songs written by former Beatles members?

Hey Django.

I think the answer to your question is Edit...

she mentions Dr. Robert and Uncle Albert (was Uncle Albert a Paul solo song?).

As far as Mr. Zimmerman's stage name, it was a splendid choice. Indeed, it is in keeping with his spirit to somehow keep us guessing after all of these years.....

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Don Q

You are very right Sir. Haha, I should of known from your John Lennon quote for your signature that you would get that right away.

Uncle Albert is usually credited to Paul and Linda McCartney, but I'm not sure Linda had any significant input into the song (I could be wrong). He's definitely the only Beatle who wrote the song.

And Thank You, you have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Django:

Q: What was his first guitar, and how old was he?

Q: Who did he write his first song for?

I definatley knew hist first guitar was a martin (i own a martin and am therefore typically up to date on most of the martin artists out there), but didnt know the specific model yr etc. so i cheated and looked it up.

He [Dylan] writes about this in Chronicles:

"First thing I did was go trade in my electric guitar, which would have been useless for me, for a double-O Martin acoustic [Martin 1949 00-17. He acquired it in 1959]. The man at the store traded me even and I left carrying the guitar in its case. I would play this guitar for the next couple of years or so (p. 237)."

so that sort of answers that wuestion. I have no idea wat his "first first guitar was" im assuming his real first guitar may have been some old guitar lying around his house, that he may have learned on.

As far as the second, question, this might be what your lookign for, but it;s not technically correct because he wrote other songs before this, but I do know a song that appears on his first album "Song To Woody" was written for Woody Guthrie.

"He started to visit Guthrie in a New York hospital where Woody was dying from Huntington's chorea. Dylan would play to Woody some of his own songs. He wrote a song for Guthrie which would later show up on his first album called " Song To Woody".