Sign in to follow this  
Geogaddi.

Especially low can be what is considered normalcy after a period of time. The pain is still there. That sadness in knowing that there is something that can be done. This just becomes accepted and you don't realize it is there.

You could follow through and face rejection in person, or you could wait for an impersonal message that may never come. The letter was received. A shoebox rests with it firmly placed.

I'd rather not know....not really true

I'm not all people.

I'm under something of knowledge, but I'm not entirely sure it's a tree.

If the Hero exists I want to meet him. I want to ask him if he remembers who he was before. Does he know who he is now? His extremes I haven't met in myself. The extreme of what may be my opposite has introduced itself recently. Strangely in the form of fruit, perhaps grown from loss, from what I still cannot call the knowledge tree. This person defines me more than anyone.

The nerve is there as always. Sometimes the presence of it appears too soon or altogether too late. Frantic Internet searches for last minute tickets. The nerve appeared with cause at the right moment on several occasions. Far from the Hero I suppose..... just normal.... just distant... less intimate.

Thinking back the word plutonic never meant much. The thought conjured the idea of a sleazy male attempting to earn a woman’s trust. Reflecting back, that which the puritans would have crushed me with a rock for never crossed my mind. When someone is placed on an alter you can put them into an ideal state of no fault with an eternally angelic nature.

The Songs are not in need of a back-story. All that matters is with what they are sung with each time. Fidelity seems different than before. That could be my own hopes though. The same hope that repeats with a persistent mantra that my hard work will pay off and I'll be made content. My inner desire will probably come with something I don't have my heart in fully. Be careful Geogaddi, your empty pitch could work and where would you be then? It could come, but not from your heart….. where you had always brought it from.

Wish I had your patience in making more from the songs. My thoughts dwell on my own reaction rather than what caused her to write them......that's not true... I just want her to be happier than what I begin to hear in them. Should they all come from other peoples shoes I hope they have found their own way.

Umm...interesting.

But, Geogaddi, I think you leave out of the picture an important element to Regina's and many other artists music. Especially those who rely deeply on the lyrics. A lot of the magic - because that's what it is,really - comes not so much from the logical developement of a single song let alone a whole body of work as much as it comes from the association of images. Not unlike the work of the better surrealists, it is the ability to listen to HERSELF with a very fine ear that makes regina...REGINA. I don't know if I'm coming across here, but I'll try with an example. There is one tid bit in one song who's title I ignore, in which she says something like "do you miss me....do you miss me" but then she moulds that into "do you minced meat". Ok - this microscopical particle of Spektor's creative galaxy is, as far as I'm concerned, paradigmatical. It means nothing, no matter how deep you're gonna look...but it is magical. So magical, it isn't even funny to me anymore.

So...THAT'S the object of my platonic love. Not the woman who is asking me if I miss her...but the one who is twirling words around with her fingers with the skill of a neurosurgeon but the disposition of a child.

But don't get me wrong. I like the way you think. Stay strong - and therefor miserable.

All I know is that if people knew the real meaning of Platonic Love (and not the bastardized dictionary definition) --- you'd never hear anybody ever say: "So you goin' out with her/him then?"

"Nah, it's just platonic".

Okay so you might hear words similar to that, but it'd go something like:

"So you goin' out with her/him then?"

"No it's fucking Platonic!!"

"Really? Shit."

Right on man, right on...

That's probably what I like most about the songs. The imagery that arises in the middle of a song you didn't expect. We can go on for hours and try to find meaning of how it all fits together. Maybe that interesting line came as a result of passing by a butcher and it just somehow fit, it just tossed a nutty curve ball that made them laugh. That's what I like. The fact I could turn it around in my head for hours and not know exactly why it's there.

I like creating vague statements myself. (albeit a bit moody and creepy lately, I'm for the melodrama as of late) Art, life and all the ways things can be viewed and altered with each perspective... just astounds me. It's funny this new wide-eyed view comes after 5 years in an art program. Being so confined to a curriculum and a course of study made me dislike what I was there for. Maybe it helped me to fully realize, now that I'm free, exactly all there is around.

With quirky and sometimes eloquently phrased words reverberating in my ear all I want to do is travel. At this moment I want to visit all the locations in one of her songs.... and find all the ones that are to find themselves in mine.

Plutonic love kicks major arse and I wish it could exist for all people. It must exist, many just don't want to say they actually love their friends dearly. Many want to just reserve that word for family. The idea of loving someone of the opposite sex who isn't a relative seems unlikely for most people, well in a plutonic way. I may want to back down a bit since my 23 years experience hasn't actually reflected the above. Plutonic love has to be there.... somewhere... even though I've not been blessed with it.

Later ma homies

Shawn

"Plutonic love kicks major arse and I wish it could exist for all people." - Shawn

I believe that Shawns spelling of Plutonic was indeed not a typo or missapropriation of the word Platonic, but rather a word in its own, leading to an intirley different point. I am well aware of these misconceptions from my poor spelling, as different words may be missinterperated as mispelled rather than missmeanings, or entirely made up words from the David Oxford Reed Unabridged Dictionary. .

Plutonic Love referes to a love bound from the Roman god Pluto (Greek Counterpart of Hades and 9th planet in our solar system).

In the Myth of Orpheus in the Underworld, Euridyce, Orpheus's wife is bitten by a snake. (i am sure I could be mixing Greek and Roman names here so feell free to correct me as u see fit) orpheus then travels to the gates of Plutos dominion, the underworld, and bests all gaurds and trials that await him in his journey to ask Pluto for his wife to return to live. Orpheus (a man of great character, and a man of music, and enlightenment is sure that once he reaches Pluto that he will return his sweet Eurydice to him) is refused by Pluto, but after persuasion from his wife (Persephonee, who herself was taken from the her life on earth to serve half the year as queen of the underworld) allows Eurydice to follow Orpheus to earth unharmed, as long as orpheus does not turn to look back at her untill he departs the underworld. As Orpheus travels, he cannot hear his wife behind him, and in a moment of doubt he turns to see if she is really there. orpheus catches Eurydice's eyes for a second before she vanishes back to the land of the dead forever. .

Orpheus must then travel to earth alone

Orpheus's love was given a chance by the Lord of the Underworld, whose heart can be breifly manipulated by one certian woman if only for the slightess of indulgence, for the most precious of circumstance. Pluto, once knowing love and brotherhood, before he drew the short straw when dividng up the earth the sea and the heavens oh so many eons ago, knows the pain of loss more than anyone. And yet he still gives Orpheus his chance for love. But love and integrety is Conquerd by doubt.

"Plutonic love has to be there.... somewhere... even though I've not been blessed with it."

I believe Plutonic love, is not true love, but rather a chance at love, or even a second chance, at a love lost, forgotten, or passed by on a sidewalk or museum , with out ever saying hello to it.

.When Shawn used the word Plutonic, I got something different out of his words, id made me think of a love buried beneath the earth, that rose up, even if only for a moment. .

plu·ton·ic Audio pronunciation of "plutonic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pl-tnk)

adj.

Of deep igneous or magmatic origin: plutonic rocks.

[From Latin Plt, Pltn-, Pluto. See Pluto.]

plutonic

adj : of igneous rock that has solidified beneath the earth's surface; granite or diorite or gabbro [syn: irruptive, eruptive]

P.S. Plutonic love is something cold, somthing distant. Something so out of reach, and freezing of isolation that you can almost burn for it. Plutonic love is something deep. Magmatic.

Red Face

Well, what can I say.

I've never heard of Plutonic love...but this whole documentation kind of gives me the feeling that there might have been some major misunderstanding along the knowledge highways.

I don't wanna rise to professor status and outsmart the books...I'm afraid I can't do that.

But don't you think that it sound kinda farfetched that this whole myth about good ol' Orpheus and Eurydice is the source for something that doesn't go by their name?

Go to wikipedia and enter : Platonic Love.

You'll find : <i>The philosophers taught not that a man's relationship with a youth should lack an erotic dimension, but rather that the longing for the beauty of the boy is the very foundation of the friendship and love between those two. </i>

Accordingly to Plato's idea of the Hyperuranium, a world situated above the skies where the ideas of everything in this world reside, the loving attitude gone down the books by his name implies a longing which does not wish to be fullfiled in any way other than in its own exitence.

This is why I find that Geogaddi was talking about Platonic love (in fact, that's how he spelled it). Because in a true platonic relationship there COULDN'T BE a more inapropriate question than, say, "Are you going out with her?".