Sign in to follow this  
NormalForceGo

Breakfast soup?

This is an idea that's been rolling around in my head for a while now, and it can't seem to get up on its feet. Has anyone here ever seen a recipe for breakfast soup? It seems like such a natural thing, to wake up and have a warm bowl of soup, but warm bowls in the morning seem to be dominated by mushy sorts of grains. I've tried to come up with my own recipe, but I have no clue what would make a suitable base, you know?

Ideas?

This is an idea that's been rolling around in my head for a while now, and it can't seem to get up on its feet. Has anyone here ever seen a recipe for breakfast soup? It seems like such a natural thing, to wake up and have a warm bowl of soup, but warm bowls in the morning seem to be dominated by mushy sorts of grains. I've tried to come up with my own recipe, but I have no clue what would make a suitable base, you know?

Ideas?

You've charged yourself with quite the task NFG.

Since I love my breakfasts so much I feel compelled to contribute an idea or two toget things rolling...

First of all, I would think it would have to be something with a creamy base. Not necessarily CREAM, just something creamy.

Anyone else?

I agree; a brothy base would leave one feeling as if he has started the day on insubstantial footing. I think it would be easy to make a maybe sweetish creamy base? The trouble comes when you try to think of things to add to it. Fruit's a natural choice, but I'm having trouble thinking of fruits that would still be good after heating/stewing.

The other possibility is a savory cream base, which might work with herbs, but unless you want to put eggs or bits of toast in there, you are just probably just making a normal lunch-type soup.

Maybe it would be possible to do something with a cinnamon/clove-flavored base? I will think on this s'more.

i think a good breakfast soup would be pumpkin soup (thus fufiling the fruit part mentioned above) since i cant really riff soup recipes off the top of my head here is a link to a series of different pumpkin soup recipes.

pumpkin soup recipes

I think i would want it i bit sweet, with some cinnimon or nutmeg to give it a little festive flare!.

and now i am off to my lunch break....with the inspiration to get some Pho.

_______________Love,

________________________David

A moment of breakfast inspired inspiration has struck.

Potatoes! Potatoes are a common breakfast fixture, for hash browns, homefries, etc. Why not some potato soup?

Indeed sweetening the thick mixture would be good as well, and I recommend a natural sweetener with my favourite breakfast flavour: MAPLE SYRUP!

Ok, so I'm at this stage.

Creamy Base.

Potato.

Hint of Maple.

Needs something else though. Something to give it a bit more depth and balance. Feel free to strike ingredients. We need to perfect this before we test it out!

(Also Girish, I'm not sure that porridge or oatmeal can count as soups. That's why they have their own names.)

Gosh, maple... I'm not sure how I feel about the potato/maple combination. I think if we're going to use potatoes, honey would be a more suitable sweetener (sorry JohnnyC!), but really if we're going in a sweet direction, that calls into question the whole idea of potatoes. It does not, however, rule it out.

Here is what I am thinking, though, and forgive me if this is a terrible idea. If the potatoes are peeled and boiled, it would be simple enough to mix in a thickener, sweetener, and spices, and just puree the whole deal with a food processor or something to make a sweet, creamy, nutritious base. What I'm thinking right now as far as flavors go: potatoes, honey, black pepper, and allspice and/or ginger.

I still feel like there should be something more solid involved for a more interesting texture, but maybe we can just intend this to be eaten with bread?

Ohhh I am so excited that progress is being made on this!

quote:
Originally posted by NormalForceGo:

...but really if we're going in a sweet direction, that calls into question the whole idea of potatoes. It does not, however, rule it out.

Well of course it does not rule out potatoes. Ever hear of SWEET POTATOES?!?!?!

YAMS!

COME ON PEOPLE!?!?

How bout something with cinnamon and Squash (butternut...or acorn perhaps)hmmmmm (I think I am still in a thanksgiving state of mind).

___________________with __Love__and__Admiration,

__________________________David