Sign in to follow this  
Matthew

'Eccentric Charm'

Ok this paragraph Irked me a little bit....

"The songs from 2001's 11.11 album shows her still struggling to make the real and the imaginary coalesce. The bluesy feel of Love Affair doesn't yet gel with her little girl vocals, and the lyrics never get further than a good idea. Her switch from attitude-driven rapper to echo-laden jazz chanteuse on the epic Pavlov's Daughter is too big a change of mood for her to pull off."

And the author so liberally dropped analogies as if they were sprinkles on a great big chocolate editorial sunday.........

"...like a puppy grappling with a Frisbee."

"she brings these puppets to life, pulling their strings with the ease of a practiced voyeur"

"with such rapacious glee it's as though she's never spoken before"

"She throws broken-down sounds against the walls of her piano-driven songs just to hear them bounce and shatter"

The second article/interview is much better and more informative.

There are more of these in the article. Im not the best writer, or even a good writer (never claimed to be), but this is just anoyying.

Hahaha, "...toying with the word "she" during Sailor Song like a puppy grappling with a Frisbee." Worst comparison ever.

There were some odd analogies in there but otherwise both were fairly well done, Thanks for sharing MD.

Yeah, there's actually a more articles about her on that site.

A review of the Bush Hall show from 2004.

I love the opening quote.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/reviews/story/0,11712,1352827,00.html

A Soviet Kitsch review that calls Regina a "Strokes Protegé" which I didn't agree with.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/reviews/observer/story/0,,1253478,00.html

Whoever writes these reviews has a giant dictionary of the worst analogies/metaphors/simillies ever compiled.

"she sings with a clear-eyed naivety reminiscent of Forrest Gump and resembles a Sex and the City-styled Russian doll."

This next one just creeped the hell out of me...i mean (as G.O.B. would say) COME ON!!!

"Poor Little Rich Boy has her thwacking a chair with a long stick, like a possessed headmistress disciplining a very naughty pupil."

I guess i shouldnt complain seeign as how the reviews on the site are all positive, and support Regina, but the writting is just a tad self indulgent.

____________________________with a love that burns like a lost ember thrown from a campfire by a strong north westernly, seeking only to return to it's place in the warmth that its blazen coals hold,

__________________________David