Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyC

The Complete Spektography - Every. Single. Song.

quote:
Originally posted by Raugust:

You are mistaken: Cohen's original lyrics were substantially different from that of later covers, starting with Buckley. Although the first two verses were essentially the same, Cohen's third verse was "You say I took the name in vain, / But I don't even know the name, / But if I did, well, really what's it to you? / There's a blaze of light in every word / It doesn't matter which are heard / the holy or the broken Hallelujah", and his fourth verse was "I did my best, it wasn't much / I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch / I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you. / And even though it all went wrong, / I'll stand before the Lord of Song / With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah". Buckley's (and Regina's) third, fourth, and fifth verses were from another version of the song, also apparently by Cohen (hence my changing my recommendation on the crediting), but quite clearly not the original.

Please get the facts straight before you start accusing others of pedantry and "missing a lot"; I'm only trying to help improve the list here, so trying to insult me really isn't warranted..

calling you a pedant is not me trying to insult you, you clearly are one!

Even if I'm a pedant, calling me one is indeed an insult and an attack because "pedant" is a harsh pejorative. If you meet an idiot and call that person an idiot, it's still an insult even though it's true. Even if I think it's true that you're an asshole, for example, I won't say that you are, because it's insulting and irrelevant and no good can come of it. Just a tip for you, since if your purpose isn't to start a pointless fight (as implied by your "I'm not trying to insult you"), you would do well to not lob random attacks at everyone different from you. How about a little less unwarranted judgment and a little more peace and love and delicious snocones?

Point is, you were mistaken about Cohen's original lyrics, and I clarified the situation to clear up that error. Case closed. Can we get back to improving the Skeptography list, now? We've got another new song to add (after the two or three I mentioned last time): "Love, You're a Whore", from the Warsaw showing.

Calling someone a "pedant" is basically the same thing as either calling them a show-off or someone who is wasting their time on irrelevant minor stuff, which I wouldn't think would be the case for what I've said if we're trying to make a comprehensive and accurate list. If anything, a list like this is where it's most important to have close attention to detail, if we're trying to make it authoritative; saying "you're being pedantic" to someone volunteering information is the same as saying "you're wasting your time here; stop bugging us with your trivial input". Some people might not be too offended by it, but it's not a nice thing to say in any situation.

Anyway, I'm glad we've cleared that junk up. Can we get back to the list now? I've been making a lot of updates to http://lyricwiki.org/Regina_Spektor lately, so if anyone has any relevant information they can easily and immediately add it there, rather than waiting on this thread.

Not a problem. No harm done.

By the way, the lyricwiki site now has improved lyrics over reginaspektor.net in many respects; in particular, it provides all the foreign-language texts, romanizations, and translations for songs like Apres Moi, Lacrimosa, and 8th Floor. It still needs more input from different people, though, to keep it balanced and accurate.