Sign in to follow this  
dionysus

Hemingway

dear forum persons, I hope I've chosen the right area to post, it didn't let me post on lyrics, having far too much time I felt it necessary to question whether regina and her fans were being sincere in saying Hemingway was smart because realisticly he's a macho fuckwitt and his literature should be reserved for adolescent boys who like Metalica and want to join the army. I know this is very judgemental and detestable, but it's something I havn't the wit to overcome and would simply like some reassurance that people don't really feel the likes of fitzgerald, hemingway, or pound for that matter, are in any way superior to anybody else sorry

dear forum persons, I hope I've chosen the right area to post, it didn't let me post on lyrics, having far too much time I felt it necessary to question whether regina and her fans were being sincere in saying Hemingway was smart because realisticly he's a macho fuckwitt and his literature should be reserved for adolescent boys who like Metalica and want to join the army. I know this is very judgemental and detestable, but it's something I havn't the wit to overcome and would simply like some reassurance that people don't really feel the likes of fitzgerald, hemingway, or pound for that matter, are in any way superior to anybody else sorry

sorry also I would like to advise people to read the poetry of sylvia plath and Ann sexton, the plays of Oscar wilde and Tennesse Williams, the novels of Albert Camus, Willliam Burroughs and Virginia Woolf, the philosophies of Niezscthe and Witgenstein. Just to establish I wasn't being unreasonably cynical, these are beautiful writters in my humble opinion. Sorry

i feel that burroughs and niezscthe are both quacks...burroughs gots a real creative style...its not too difficult to get what he's saying, but somes stuff is just too much of an effort to have intricate writing like, "devil-doll stool pigeons," its just a little weird. i feel he took advantage of the beatnik era by trying to hard to be a Beat...hemingway aint too cool, i tried reading for whom the bell tools, read a little and tossed it, never read fitzgerald, what's he like???....i feel huxley is my favorite, he gots great stuff....

I can understand why you don't like Nietzsche and it's not very good for my point, whatever that was, to name drop such a misogynist. At the same time I do think he's very important, and for a philosopher his polemic style is really entertaining, you have to admit he gives good quote.

Along with Ginsberg I think Burroughs defined the beatnik thing and there was probably alot more social pressures for him to behave in a certain way which may look contrived in rhetrospect. I really like Huxley too, though only from Brave New World and Island, I heard he did some lsd trip out journal, is that any good? it sounded a bit dated hippy

To be fair I don't mind fitzgerald it's just that whole circle of modernist writters, with their nazi sympathies and general ostentatious, self celebratory attitude is a bit nauseating. Sorry for going on

yeah nietzsche was entertaining for a while...the talking lion...birds were evil cause they defied gravity...hahah, yeah he was fun to read...i was in a car with the book on top of the back seat with the windows down, and the book was torn into pages...i felt it was a sign from god not to read that shit anymore..hahah...the lsd journal is The doors of Perception...i got it cause that where the doors got their name from...its ok, hes just describing his trip, which was pretty cool...its like 50 or so pages and like 6 bucks, i think it was worth the buy...but burroughs was just weird, i still got naked lunch and i go through it every now and then...i got it cause i saw the movie...the movie was really good, but im sure it doesnt follow the plot of the book....i'll give burroughs credit though...he shocked and intrigued many people, even now...

quote:
ly
personally, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading Hemingway. I thought that he'd be tedious and dry like all other "classics", but found that his books held a wealth of meaning somehow expressed through a stripped-down, adjective-free prose style. It probably doesn't hurt that I was once an adolescent boy who listened to Metallica--back when they rocked. Of course hem was also a crazy, gay-bashing, hypermacho, rhino-hunting, self-hating suicide victim.

like his style though. and virginia woolf's got some beautiful sentence structures in To the Lighthouse. never could stomach nietzsche, and pound just confuses me. Maybe that's what's good about hemingway--he's simple and direct. No namby-pamby post-modern 'bullshit for bullshit's sake' here, just the facts ma'am.

or, I could be full of crap, cause all that I really like to read is sci-fi...

Yipee!

I didn't know a Regina Spektor forum would involve Book Clubing!! Oh Boy! Ok...I'll try you guys...anyone read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? I'm reading it right now and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I love the whole atmospheric tension that's built up in the insane asylum in the beginning of the book and how the whole book is based on the point of view of Chief Bromden. To look at the whole story through a mentally-disturbed patient's eyes is a new experience for me. I've read quite a few books from the view of an observer, but none as well written as this. Anyway, I've only decided to mention this book in particular because I'm reading it right now...even though the main topic right now appears to be classic authors...

O well.

Anyone else got an opinion?