Sign in to follow this  
dionysus

Hemingway

Ah, Great Book, just don't watch the Movie Caramella (if you haven't already),especially after reading the book, you'll be thoroughly dissapointed. You should read some of Kesey's other books, he usually writes from life experiences so they are very descriptive and interesting. If I may suggest "Sailor Song" Wink

quote:
,especially after reading the book, you'll be thoroughly dissapointed. You should read some of Kesey's other books, he usually writes from life experiences so they are very descriptive and

Wow.

Cuckoos nest is my one exception to "the book is always better than the movie" rule.

i had to read it in high school as well, and i felt Ken Kesey's descriptive prose was just acid incuced paranoia on his part.

and yes yes I understand the themes of how society ("the man") and machines supress natural impulses, and the problems with mental institions at the time, its been a while since i read it, but i understood everything. and how rachet controls everybodies mind with invisible machines. Kesey lived in a bus and did a lot of drugs (yeah i know so did lots of my favorite musical groups back then...and now). but most of the book just ticked me off.( I only consider it a socially redeeming peice of work as an eye opener to how cruely and ignorantly mental patients were treated back then).

Camus, now there is some psycho babbling (be it calm and serene) I can relate to.

_____Love,

_______________david

See that's what I didn't like about having to read books for school. You end up analyzing to no ends to fit what is demanded in your lessons that you completely loose sight of the simplistic things that make the book so enjoyable.

The Movie had a great cast and what not but for some reason I didn't like it very much. I did watch it quite a while ago, maybe I'll give it another chance.

yeah school ruined a bunch of good books for me. I tried to read a lot during the summer before school. I would find out what we were reading that year and try to enjoy it on my own leisure, instead of trying to finish chapters during my lunch period and stay up till 2 in the morning writing a horrible essay that I either plagarized or, pulled out of a hole in the wall.

quote:
instead of trying to finish chapters during my lunch period and stay up till 2 in the morning writing a horrible essay that I either plagarized or, pulled out of a hole in the wall.

Haha, I hear ya man.

Yep, school is bad for book reading. They allways seem to pick really boaring books that win lots of prizes. Outside of school I recently read a book called "bloomability" It was good, not as deep as some, but it is meant for a younger audience.

"Burroughs defined the beatnik thing" hmm would strongly have to disagree with this. Mainly because KEROUAC defined the beat generation - how can this be ignored -it's prety much fact. Admitedly Ginsberg was also very important (next to Kerouac, he was probably the most important out of their whole cirlce), but seriously burroughs??? I think his writing style lacks any real energy, creativity, or even originality for that matter - major areas to be lacking in for a "beat" writer! Just my opinion, but well ...i think I'm right ...obviously...

I used to have a Ginsberg music video on my old 486 computer. It was a visual piece he created to go with the poem/song "Skeletons". It was awesome, and I obviously no longer have it, and cannot find it ANYWHERE!

I think it came as a bonus on some CD I used to have, because I clearly didn't download it. Downloading mp3s hadn't even become popular yet, so downloading video content was surely out of the question. Especially since 56k modems were "the shit" at the time.

Anyway, if anyone has heard of said video, or knows where I should look for it, I'd be much obliged to some information sharing!

I like to, um, overuse, commas, and stuff. It like, totally makes my sentences, uhm what's the word I'm looking for, oh, have more pauses in them. That wasn't a word, I know.

I think its incredibly unfair to call Hemingway a macho fuckwitt. If you read his works, it's clear that the guy didn't hate women, he was just terribly disappointed in them. This is an opinion that I believe many men find themselves sharing at one time or another, and a valid perspective from which to write. Plus, the man had great style. And lots of cats.