Sign in to follow this  
Frank Nit

new songs...

i don't think it's regina selling out at all - that's a retarded claim.

i just think it's regina losing her own sound - all the over-produced guitar sounds and poppy drum track really doesn't sound to me like progression, even though it is a new sort of direction.

listening to these songs, i'm really feeling a lack of genuine regina-ness like on the old tracks, particularly pre-soviet kitsch songs.

i hope the rest of the album proves to be a little more quirky than this stuff... that's the reason i lisen to regina, even though the two new posted songs do have a catchiness, and are ok.

i just never saw regina as a pop-ballad songwriter, and it seems that's kinda the vein of these songs. eek. i want more fucking stupid songs about ticker tape burritos...!

Polarized. That's what these songs have done to us.

I feel like I need permission to write what I think about them, cause it's kinda turned into a rant. Frowner

I have already written my thoughts on these songs too, but I never posted them... I dunno if I can.

I really don't want to contribute to negative feedback because I'm sure it's the last thing Regina needs to hear in the lead-up to the CD's release.

GO Regina! You have our support! Please don't feel bad if any of us say bad things about the songs, because really, every one of those people are dying to get their hands on the CD regardless!

I may post my rant later.... maybe.

Blood_Roses: "I don't think this is *selling out* or anything.."

Framk Nit: "these are not sell-out songs."

folderol and: "The new songs can't be Regina selling out."

_Mark_: "i don't think it's regina selling out at all - that's a retarded claim."

I find it odd that four people are here defending claims of Regina "Selling out" (a term that is so over used, it has lost all meaning to me) No one in theis thread (or board I believe) has aver accussed or called Regina a sell out. But still, 4 peopel felt the need to bring up this phrase in a very defensive manner in regards to a few people commenting on the production choices and giving constructive critisism about what they felt or thought, about an amazing female song writer that we all love. If you find yourself defending Regina against invisible attacks, maybe you are only answering to your own self doubts. (I very very much apologize if you feel I just tried to psycho analyze you, not my intention at all; my bad)

Do not feel you need to ever defend Regina's music or creative choices ont this site. We all have to do that enough in the real world, myself when popping in 11:11 and having to explain to my peon friends why this is different fron Amos or Apple. Everyone here respects Regina very much, and would not have registered and posted if they did not.

My feelings on the two released songs are not very good. I straight up do not like the recordings at all. (have loved the tunes from my first hearings of both) but like Slickertm said : "63/66 ain't bad". that about sums it up for me as well, but to elaborate, I am a Bob Dylan fan and will be till the day which ever one of us dies first. Love Dylan stright up. But he has put some crap out there that I have no cared for and has been overall deemed a failure by his fans and critics alike. Dylan is still the man of mans when it comes to song writing, and music. No one is denying that an artists who writes hundreds of songs will put out bad ones (which Regina has not yet done to my knowledge).

Frank Nit: "with every album, an artist must prepare to gain AND lose fans."

I highly doubt that Regina will loose any fans (myself included) by putting out an album of songs we all already love. People may be critical of these recordings, because we feel that Reginas songs are so amazing, that they only deserve the greatest packaging possible to highlight her talent/uniqueness/broad vocal techniques (chemo limo being the cannon in my opinion) But if putting out some "cheezy" recordings serves as a learning expeirience towards achieving greater creative success' in future albums, then I say, just go with it.

Sorry if this is not very coherent, but i typed it all out once and lost it ..then had to doit agian frommemory....it sucked....any way....

____________i love you all

.-________________Daey.

quote:
Originally posted by stwongbad85:

...But i typed it all...

____________i love you all

.-________________Daey.

-sends you hugs-

Someone had to say the right thing eventually.

I think maybe us peeps who listen to the raw recordings too much don't like the actual recording because we fell to hard in love with the live ones so it's hard to have these weird effects put into a song we listened to so much without them. that's a long sentence.

you are right submerged. i've seen it happen lots of times where demos from bands come out long before the album and fans fall in love with the original versions and find it hard adjusting to the album versions. this also happens when an artist branches out and does something different, old fans feel alienated.

to those who don't think these songs are "true regina," i ask who does this sound like to you?

To stwongbad85:

My statement about Regina not selling out was more of an agreement with what Blood_Roses said. I didn't quote the post, and wasn't expecting anyone to make that connection. I wasn't expecting you to think that I think I'm "defending Regina against invisible attacks". It's just my opinion. No one has accused Regina of being a sell-out, but one still can. I was basically stating my opinion: I don't think these songs are Regina selling out, and I wasn't convincing myself (just to clarify), by the phrasing of my post either. Sorry I didn't say that in my initial post exactly the way I said it right now.

Oh, and I didn't say the recordings were "cheezy", I said a certain aspect of one of the recordings was.

But let's not start a fight now.

quote:
I think maybe us peeps who listen to the raw recordings too much don't like the actual recording because we fell to hard in love with the live ones so it's hard to have these weird effects put into a song we listened to so much without them.

I agree, but I don't really have a problem with these new recordings; I like both versions.

Regina isn't ours to lose.

It is unfair to be disappointed that Regina's newfound mainstream(er) sound will likely help her make new fans.

This isn't in response to anything specific. (Promise.)

i heart being agreed with. =D Anyways...people people, regina's never gonna have a #1 single even though she's the most amazing thing ever. yeah she'll get new fans blah blah blah but hey we were there early on and we know that so let's just sit back, enjoy her beautiful music and stop worrying about her 'new mainstream sound' because it's not mainstreamish at all, it's still the regina we know and love.

quote:
Originally posted by submergedcalamity:

i heart being agreed with. =D Anyways...people people, regina's never gonna have a #1 single even though she's the most amazing thing ever. yeah she'll get new fans blah blah blah but hey we were there early on and we know that so let's just sit back, enjoy her beautiful music and stop worrying about her 'new mainstream sound' because it's not mainstreamish at all, it's still the regina we know and love.

Regina's never going to have a number 1?

I think she deserves about 5, at least. She rivels Alannis in depth, and so many other in talent, the world is muffed up. Us, if marketed correctly, could be top 50 easily.

And I think your post spoke a little too broadly , its the regina we know and love, but I also fell in love with the sound.