Sign in to follow this  
Frank Nit

new songs...

So on reflection, these two recordings both sound COMPLETELY different to each other, in style and production...so we have no idea how it will sound as a whole...other than these two aren't straight forward joanna/singing.

Fear ye not I say! Bring on the new album, I'm well excited. I think Regina's voice sounds better than ever before on these recordings.

So she's gone for a big poppy "Better" - I think it's pretty magic (luverly piano ending...ahh)...and "Fidelity" is so cute, her voice sounds so intimate.

From another angle, I'm kind of glad these two sounds different...of course I luv the live arrangements we've all heard, and the previous albums...but it's all about moving on up and trying something new - it'd get dull if the albums didn't develop and change, both for us and in particular Regina.

Besides, having these tracks contrast so much to the simpler live versions makes a damn good case for a 2cd/DVD live album Smiler

>> As for "Better", the guitars are a bit... >>cheesy,

I have to agree. In fact, the is the first time ever when listening to Regina's recording feels annoying (and I am a huge fan). Not her fault, but the production is just so... um, let's say "radio-friendly". Doesn't do her justice. Hopefully the rest of the album is different.

it's a funny one because regina has been playing these songs live for ages stripped down with piano or probably should say straight up with just her and the piano and we all have lots and lots of versions these tracks - especially fidelity! so. if these were just the same tracks but recorded in a studio then that wouldn't be that different to the bootlegs we already have and hence 'twould not potentially be very exciting but i also know what people are talking about! fidelity sounds kind of like a demo to me in someways that you would do at home but then slicked out in the studio a bit which makes it kind of flat but then again tis also cool to have another version of a song you love. I think maybe one of the other things in these recordings is they have clearly been done with a click track so they are perfectly in time unlike regina's previous stuff which is all without click and gives her space to pull back and slow up and play into bits more. It's just not as raw as her live stuff and i don't think either of the two tracks really do her voice justice but it is good to mix it up a bit! I'm not a big fan of Better but i've never particularly rated it out of regina's songs. i think the thing with better is that the guitar is a very standard american strumming affair and the drums and the vocals sound very much like they sit on top rather than in amongst the track, tis quite kind of like the intro music to a sitcom or ally macbeal or something! lol! But i don't mean to be all negative and am really looking forward to the album. It looks like regina is going to carry on playing live with her piano and considering how many regina tracks aren't on the album that we've all heard - that there will be loads more soon anyways! and for me some of my favourite tracks are live ones like making records, all the row boats, the virgin queen (which is one of my favourite songs ever!), loveology and i listen to them all the time in the live quality - far more so than most of the tracks of her albums! and then ther eare concerts like the 2004 one at Tonic with Anders Griffin on the cello which again is like a different whole regina live album with again different arangements of her songs! i play amd write songs on guitar and also play lots of other stuff like piano and drums etc and i'm working on expanding my sound pallete (oh yeah!) for the next set of studio recordings i do but it is a really weird and ill defined step to take as you have to layer it all on top sort of of what you already have and especially when you are so familiar with what you normally work with ie for me guitar and voice - even though i can play and write all the piano stuff fine - i still find it difficult to get it all to work well but still energetically all together because i can't play and record all those instruments at the same time. also maybe another thing with these tracks is that the vocals are obviously recorded on top of everything else whereas the live stuff she splaying all together at the same time as she did on Songs and stuff as well and it makes it feel much more at one as the same emotions are coursing through ones veins at the same time as opposed to you could be feeling completely different when you record the parts if you do them seperatly! this has been very sprawling so i hope it has been possible to make some sense of!

Regina! Yay! This album isn't going to be the definative regina but nor is it supposed to be. it's supposed to be an album that captures a particular thing! and if you think that tracks like 20 years of snow are on it which is pretty old then there is still hope in the future for some of the other tracks that haven't made it onto this one!

awes and begin to hope y'all!

nic x

ooh and go and listen to my songs. well you dont have to but they are crazy party fun! yay!

www.myspace.com/nicnell

I think both songs sound horrible. I find it hard to believe that there is any reason they sound the way they do other than to sell more records, which makes me feel sick.(Putting Samson on the new album feels exactly the same as well.), also In my opinion there is no 'progress' or musical accomplishment in the 'new' instrumentation of the tracks

However...

If people didn't record Regina live (which I’m guessing she never asked anyone who has made live mp3s to do, or was even aware it was happening) then there wouldn't really be something to compare these tracks too (obviously apart from the actual live performance that was recorded) and who the hell am I to say that this isn't the way Regina planned the songs to sound when she wrote them????? I don't know here or her musical tastes.

In conclusion, I guess I’m glad and privileged that there are live recordings out there which I think are incredible songs, Angry at the fact that I can’t help but think money and major labels are going to be playing a big part in the new album, and maybe I’m allowed to be a little disappointed that it looks like I’m not going to get what would have possibly been one of my favorite albums ever?

Ps Yeah I realise 2 songs do not make an album, but I find it hard to believe that the rest will not follow suit.

quote:
who the hell am I to say that this isn't the way Regina planned the songs to sound when she wrote them????? I don't know here or her musical tastes.

this is a point many of you have made, and it is a very good one.

and I would like to perhaps shed some light on it with a quote from Regina herself:

"... everything’s a

possible record cover

or a possible name for a band that

I will never have…

cause I sing my songs all by myself

all to myself, by myself

I am cute but I’m not in a band

where’s my band? where’s my band?

where’s my amplifiers?...........

..........in the studio they’re adjusting the wires and microphones

and I’m about to sing my songs and they won’t be just my own

and I’m glad that they’ll exist but they’ll make me obsolete

cause I sing it just once and the wires they remember it

and sing it right back and they do it better than I can

anytime, anywhere, I’m preserved

I’m a jelly or a jam…...........

...............I know that I am lucky, I make shit up all the time

and I start to believe it myself just cause it rhymes

but I’m so inconsistent my handwriting changes every other word"

- Regina Spektor, "Making Records"

***I cannot claim to understand what she really means by this, or if any of the lines contain sarcasm or irony, but that is for you to decide. ***

When I first heard this song it made me very sad, and I instantly created a personal connection to it. All the music I make is done without a click track, wihtout a band and can be very inconsistant from song to song. To some it up, it can get a little frusterating when you only have yourself to harmonize with. Even though I enjoy recording and playing by myself and writing songs alone, I cannot help think about how much support and how much better some of my songs and recordings could be if I had a band contributing and backing me up so I could just focus on singing or just focus on playing guitar or piano. No quality lost by having to do everything myself. Or maybe I feel incomplete without a creative collaborater, a George for my Ira, a Paul for my Art....A rest of the Beatles to my Ringo.

Regina Deserves support, a back up band, maybe even a collaborator, no one here is saying she will loose her uniqueness because of that, but with the talented friends and all the connections she has, I would love to see her enlist Kimya on an Album, or Bring back ben and Chris, her cello/bass/hand claps duo, or even use the strokes on an album, (Am i crazy or did i read about Nick V or Nic F playing on the new album?). This is a tactic that worked very well for Antony and the Johnsons and would give regina the PR/publicitiy boost the record label wants to bring in the cash, and would "beef up" (not that i feel she needs it) her sound by employing unique creative interests of a similar nature.

______________love,

__________________Dav,

_____________________1d

why does everyone always request samson at shows and call it their favourite anyhow?

i can't understand, i find it to be a pretty mediocre regina song... the most radio-friendly, definitely.

it kinda baffles me that songs like "pavlov's daughter" or "ghost of corporate future" aren't her biggest numbers with all the folks.

but maybe we'll get a re-working of it on 'begin to hope'.... we'll see, i spose..

Oh no! I just can't say anything nice about it at all "Will You Feel Better?" is one of my favourite songs..it doesn't need a tinny guitar backing track to make it better. It's perfect as it is!

It's not even like Your Honour, at least that sounded like a real band playing with her and to the song! This sounds like they've been recorded separately and just stuck together.

I can't listen to Fidelity, for some reason it won't play.

Oh well, I still can't wait for the album..I just hope it doesn't all sound like this. I don't want to be so negative, but I really can't think of anything positive to say.

Oh my goodness poor Regina. I didn't think so many of her fans would be dissapointed with her new recordings. But then again, I didn't think I'd be so dissapointed. DANG. Aright like I'm gonna go listen to her old recordings to make me happy...

The main problem is Regina served to a 'niche' audience. An alternative audience, giving us countless titles all with there own quirky value. This might as well not be Regina to many, it sounds like Lizzie Macguire could sing it. No one else could sing Chemmo Limmo, Cannons or Pavlov's Daughter.

This is like when Jewel bought out one 'tongue and cheek' pop song...hmm look where that lead.

I just hope Regina enjoys the sound.