Sign in to follow this  
Frank Nit

new songs...

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. A lot of people are acting like spoilt brats!

But we are a spoilt group. We have a number of different versions of songs to listen to, by an artist who doesn't mind bootlegs and unofficial recordings being available on the internet. We live in the MP3 download world, so if you don't like the CD get off your butt and go online. There's also the small fact that Regina Spektor likes to tour - I've seen her 7 times in 2 years and each time she's that little bit different. Thank you Regina.

I personally hope the version of Samson on the new CD is a little bit different, because then I can compare it to the version on 'Songs' and the times I've heard it live.

My primary concern isn't the production, which I agree distracts from Regina's raw talent, but the songs themselves. They're lyrically pretty trite; cute, catchy and appealing, but not at all distinctively Regina. I consider her to be one of (if not the) best lyricists I've ever encountered, with a wild imagination and an astounding feel for original ways to use the language, creating both hallucinatory fantasies that are epic in scope and strikingly quirky/witty little songs. 'Better' and 'Fidelity' are dealing in pretty safe, heavily trampled territory, totally appropriate for pop radio. The fact that she chose these two to showcase in order to get people excited about the album troubles me a bit.

That said, she has given me too many hours of joy for me to really talk trash, and I still think she's one of the most original, fantastic artists of our time. I feel really lucky to have randomly gone to see her one time years ago, and to have had access to all of her bootlegged songs. I hope that this just turns out to be a funny little mistep and that she continues on to produce material more characteristic of her truly breathtaking talent.

quote:
They're lyrically pretty trite; cute, catchy and appealing, but not at all distinctively Regina. I consider her to be one of (if not the) best lyricists I've ever encountered, with a wild imagination and an astounding feel for original ways to use the language, creating both hallucinatory fantasies that are epic in scope and strikingly quirky/witty little songs. 'Better' and 'Fidelity' are dealing in pretty safe, heavily trampled territory, totally appropriate for pop radio. The fact that she chose these two to showcase in order to get people excited about the album troubles me a bit.

Well, this album's track list errs a bit on the lighter, poppier side, I think many people expected there to be "A Pound of Flesh", "Hero of the Story", or "Begin To Hope" (uh, just naming those songs reminds me of Regina's greatness)... Still, I'd take clever and elegant "Folding Chair" or michievous "Bobbing for Apples" over "Better" any day. OTOH, I am sort of glad this production was applied to "Better" and not those other songs... Wink

[all the usual disclaimers about Regina still being a great wonderful artist and us supporting and loving her no matter what go here]

I'm brand spanking new to this forum type thingy. Felt like I had to post something, cause like others I have visited myspace.

Nothing much new to add to what people have said. Am a big fan and have been since 11:11. I love the new material, and even nearly cried when she played Fidelity at her last London gig. (I didn't, mind - men don't cry)

Was a bit gutted when I heard the production on the recording, especially the synth stuff. Crying crying shame.

Does anyone know where I can get an MP3 of a live version. That way I can listen to that and pretend to myself it's the album version!

Maybe we should all try and persuade the lovely Reg to record a special version of the whole album in the "Songs" stylee for the old skool massive (excuse my rubbish attempt at gangsta talk - i'm english!)

"And it breaks my heart. It breaks my heart"

Ho hum ...

I must confess something to everyone... I'm starting to like the energy of the new "Better" recording. My pride wants to say I still dislike it, but pride is for suckers. And my body is feelin it when I play the song.

Regina is right. It's not life or death, even though her music has been life altering for many of us. Think of the new versions, as new songs entirely. Different songs. A different approach. You can always go back and listen to the old ones. But I just may play them both equally now... Big Grin

As for Gingersampson and those that haven't heard the live stuff, go get your fix!

www.sogoddamnyoung.org

www.reginaspektor.net

www.ragette.org/Reginology.htm

www.angelfire.com/folk/gretalizabeth/

Do any of the links to the song on the i♥regina downloads page work? I didn't really think much of the downloads when they were available, but now I'd like to hear some of the full shows... (this really isn't that subtle...)

Hey JohnnyC - thanks for the links. Am going to have a listen now.

In hindsight, maybe life's a bit too short to get too obsessively upset by these new recordings. They may well grow on us and, let's face it, it's not really the end of the world is it.

We don't all want to end up like Adamjk!