Sign in to follow this  
Chris Allan

Myspace songs

Yeah..Uh...I'm really sorry, I love you more than anything in the whole entire world. Litterally, we followed you around the east coast once..But what on earth are these new songs. I think hanging out with Keane really got to you. Remember your roots baby girl. Come back to us.

My earlier comment made towards BR's opinion that albums should sound different than live recordings:

"A BAND SHOULD NEVER RELEASE WHAT THEY CAN'T PERFORM LIVE, PERIOD"

I stated this perhaps a little too absolutely.

Obviously certain types of compositions, especially electronic ones, require elements that cannot reasonably be recreated in a live setting. I know my Floyd very well, and I agree that any musician should be allowed to experiment beyond what they can reproduce live, they are an excellent example of why. The richness & depth of the final product speaks for itself.

Two notes on this however.

1 - I have a serious issue with the exploitation of this capability, not to add to great music, but to create a facade of "good music". This is my major beef with the music industry.

2 - The only way any of this relates to Regina's new songs is this: The new studio elements do not add anything of musical virtue or depth. In fact I strongly feel that the sound is cheapened, and the overall impactfulness of the original songs lost.

I know I seem a bit harsh / overly dramatic / borderline disrespektful here... but I honestly have the utmost RESPEKT for Regina's musicianship, and actually for her as a person as well. She has every right to explore the vast expanses of the musical kingdom. Certainly for that task she is far better equipped than most, and we are richer for hearing the results.

If I don't like the new album, I can't see it having ANY impact on how much I enjoy Regina's music as a whole. But I KNOW I don't like the two new song mixes.

quote:
Originally posted by daveconbrio:

Full band? 120bpm casio beats? The possibilities now seem endless! Smiler

Wink

Bah ha ha that would rock if she made a song to the casio demo tracks -dies in hurrahness-

quote:
1 - I have a serious issue with the exploitation of this capability, not to add to great music, but to create a facade of "good music". This is my major beef with the music industry.

This I whole-heartedly with! Smiler

I do know of a particularly cheeky chappy who used to play out a mashup of "Pavlovs' Daughter" in his live sets.

Anyhoo - I've listend to Fidelity and Begin to Hope everyday this week, at least once. I LUV this recording of Fidelity. I luv the synths...especially the synthy/reverby "oboe" kind of sound that comes in when she sings "all this music...and it breaks my heart" - I think it's wonderful and a minor stroke of studio genius (she must have been well chuffed when that part worked out so nicely). It's also pretty infectious - I can't help geek out over it, heh Wink

Good Grief, so much angst over a couple of new songs with a little more commercial-sounding arrangement behind them! Confused

In the past few days I have had a lot of enjoyment out of the studio versions of "Fidelity" and "Better" that Regina has put on myspace. I would like to thank her for putting the whole songs on there, not just mean little soundbites and I say good luck to Regina with the new album and I hope it reaches a much wider audience. Wink

This controversy about these two songs reminds of the furore when Katie Melua introduced "Nine Million Bicycles", a simple love song that was analysed in every minute detail, one geek even bringing the whole of his scientific idiocy about the size of the universe into the argument! Eeker

Stripped down to just Katie singing the song accompanied by her own acoustic guitar, at the wedding of Prince Pieter Christian at his Wedding in Holland, brought a tear to my eye and her album as a consequence sold by the clogful in the Netherlands and she won their Edison Award as a consequence. Cool

Each to his own, don't knock Regina for experimenting with different backings, after all how many songs can you record with a backing achieved by hitting a drumstick on a chair? Big Grin

I will be buying the new CD and listening to "Fidelity" and "Better" in the context of the whole album, so I will refrain from any more comments about the songs until then! Smiler

I thought these songs were great when I heard them performed live and was looking forward to the new album. When I heard them on myspace I was quite concerned because neither had the power of the live version and Regina's voice was far too muted and covered by everything else that was going on in them. Still I will buy the album. It'd be blasphemy to me if I didn't. I am slightly worried though.

Fidelity was one of, if not my favorite Reg song. Now she ruined it. I'm so dissapointed. Regina means everything in the world to me, but seriously...This needs to stop. So many people love you for who you are...What you started as. Just this lovely little girl from the Bronx with an incredible talent for playing the piano and singing wonderfully inspirational songs that gave people hope that real good music can survive in this bubble gum cracker jack world. We need you back Regina!

Don't worry reg.. they'll get it eventually. I finally did.

People, believe me, I know where you're coming from, but she wouldn't be fair to us, or herself if she started copying her old work just to please some fans. You'll come to appreciate that she doesn't actually, I'm sure of that.

Just wait for the album, and if you loved her before, I'm sure you still will.

*being positive,

~j!