Sign in to follow this  
abandondrugs

my samson remix link - what do you think??

i'm sorry to say this, because it was a labor of love, but i really didn't like it. it was kind of sloppy, no real flow to it. it was too episodic for it's length, which leads me to say that if it had been longer and offered a more fluid idea, it could be better.

flawed perfection - i am so happy that you seem to be the biggest fan of my remix by a long way. as an artist its worth all (well not quite all) the slagging off i get when i get feedback like that from someone about music i've worked on.

as for remixes, i'm afraid samson is the only one i've completed. radiohead's myxamatosis, leonard cohen's - one of us cannot be wrong, cat power - maybe not, and a devendra banhart song are all in very very early stages and will probably never get finished.

as for other stuff i actually have finished, you could download it from my site www.abandondrugs.co.uk - click on downloads. there's 4 songs there that i made a cd of. so if you want me to send the cd i could post it to you. there's also a load of stuff from a live night i did where people twiddled knobs on my midi controller.. they are all electronic instrumentals, not sure if they will work. having problems with the site. i'm putting my best 4 tracks on myspace pretty soon, where there will be a completely new song, hopefully my epic techno psych ambient trance rave song. that description is bound to put off 99% of regina fans.

so just how eclectic is the music taste of regina's fanbase?

hey, I think it's a good remix. The drums could use some better mixing and production, and the placement of samples could have been more musical. I liked especially the processing on the vocal samples. The thing that bothered me the most was the distorted "and the bible didn't mention us" at the end. it didn't fit at all structurally or sonically.

of course, I respect that it's damn tough to remix a song from the master. I don't think I would have tried to remix Sampson, and I applaud you for what you've done. congradulations on maintaining the beauty of the song.

I like it too, especially the begining, but I don't like the drums very much, they're a little intrusive, a little too 'maraca' sounding (and now for a little Onomatopoeia) "shchick shchick..." They're too loud compared to the rest of the music...But overall, I do like it alot.

"Samson" is one of my favorite Spektor songs, and I absolutely enjoyed this remix, abandondrugs (so much so that I finally registered to use this forum just so I could reply to this thread). I thought the introduction was particularly clever.

It's true that it gets a bit repetitive toward the middle and end, but I sometimes listen to it while I'm doing yoga, and it feels good to be given the extra time to get lost in the sweetness of Regina's voice in the form of a repeated lyric. It also makes it all that much more rewarding when the remix progresses to a new line.

On a similar note, it's kind of nice that its a bit "dirty" at places. It loses that rigid time structure and forces me to let go of my internal metronome and simply submit to the music.

Because I like Samson so much, there are days when I want to listen to it multiple times in a row. Having this remix gives me an opportunity to change things up on those days, so I get my fix without becoming immune to the stimulus right away.

Of course, I'm also happy to own the "Begin to Hope" CD now, as it gives me a third version to listen to as well.

Good work.

sz