Sign in to follow this  
adamjk

"Better" music video

It looks like they just set up a camera, patched the video feed to a small monitor, and pointed the camera at it (creating that forever inside forever image that you get when you look into a mirror, with another mirror behind you)

They managed to keep the image on the TV from blowing out into pure video feeback (super hot white), and I'm not really sure how.

Anyway, the sea of Reginas could be some sort of symbolism, as you should expect from a music video. Although since I've only watched it once, and the site has it posted as an embeded streaming windows media file (read: CRAP), I will have to see it in a BETTER medium, and a few more times before I can review it.

Regina looks good though, and I quite enjoyed the opening usage of her reflection (which is more apparent once the video finishes and it's more obvious how it was set up)

I didn't get bored, but then I love to look into someone's eyes when they're talking or singing, so it suits me. I also like the reflection at the beginning. It doesn't matter to me how it was set up, although I could make surmises. I was too busy watching the facial expressions to care really!

eleri

the video's cute. the song was just butchered. this is a song that with just regina and her piano was deep and powerful and it's all hidden by the drums and bass and guitar. it's like since when did regina join a band? i'm not saying anything bad about the song. i still loveeeee it. but, where'd the lyrics go?... i'm too busy listening to the strumming guitar to remember them.

I like the added instruments! It gives it new life!

But the video reflects a more subdued version. I think the Better video should have had more going on, just as the song does.

I like simplistic things so I enjoyed the video. Regina looks beautiful and this is getting her more experience in video production which will hopefully spawn into more music videos to come. I think for these types of situations the added instrumentals are suited and work out well. Her live shows are still just her so now we have two versions to enjoy.

Also to get that effect just connect the output of your camcorder to a TV, then aim the camera at the TV. Anything in front of the TV will get multiplied. Using a tripod, you can get some psychedelic images. Adjust every control you can on the camera and TV to get some interesting effects. Then tilt the camera a little and the images will spiral and corkscrew to infinity. At certain parts you can actually see the videographer in the reflection of the TV and then they move and the camera is sort of hiding in the darker reflections.

If you have a video editing program, open the video in it and turn the hue angle way down and saturation level way up. You will get some awesome color schemes which look really cool with that type of multiplied image technique.

I love this song "Better", it has really helped me through a nightmare couple of months! Smiler

I love the musical arrangement, I love the video

and I love Regina! Roll Eyes

I put the link to the "Better" video on Katie Melua's Forum to cheer up my fellow Meluaites, under the Topic "Feel Better For This!" Wink

Two Meluaites couldn't get the video to play at all and the one who did was suicidal about his parents breaking up and even Regina offering to "Kiss you where it's sore", didn't help him! Confused

Some days you just cannot win! Frowner

I totally agree with submergedcalamity. I can't believe WB butchered such a fantastic song. Are they trying to make Regina sound like Michelle Branch or what? I still think she's the most creative and talented living musician, and her live shows take my breath away, but I hope her recorded albums don't continue down this route. So far, the singles off this new album sound painfully overproduced. I've loved Regina since I saw her recital at SUNY Purchase in the late 90s, and I'll continue to love her, but I hope WB doesn't ruin her for those who never got the chance to know her music when it's just Regina and a piano producing the most beautiful and rich music anyone could imagine.