Sign in to follow this  
adamjk

"Better" music video

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Nit:

regina has full control of her art. warner brothers has nothing to do with the way the new album sounds.

ask her.

I want Regina to have all the success she wants, and if it's more "mainstream" audience she is trying to break into with this song, that's totally fine. But imagine you are one of those "mainstream" kids (whatever the hell that means) who never heard of Regina Spektor. You sit around watching MTV all day. Then this video comes on. Would this catch your attention? Would you think this is someone interesting to you, someone whose record you should get? Or would you switch channels after the reflection thing has gone for too long?

I skimmed the comments, sorry.

Anyone who thinks this video is the sell-out video is insane. It fits with the little low-key videos Regina has done in the past, like the "Ode To Divorce" video. However, it, unlike Ode To Divorce, isn't a slow quiet song, it's the big, loud, more-mainstream-sounding-than-most-of-her-other-songs "Better," and the video doesn't reflect that.

I'm thinking "Fidelity" is going to be the big movie star video.

i think the mainstream thing was to be expected but i like it! we all know where to get the live versions if we like the more stripped down approach. this was always going to be more produced, as soviet kitch was at the time, but i'm predicting the next regina album to be more like Songs - just her and her piano.

also, anyone who's heard the album version of That Time, is it made heavier? Like Your Honor?

I love the video

when i first saw the vid, it all looked ok to me. and i hadnt heard the song, so i was in absolute shock when i heard it and left me cringing at the polishedness. i listened again and imagined it sounding like a hi-fi pablo honey era radiohead song. that confused me whether i should like it. i am worried that she's selling out so lets just pray she'll never get a horrible backing band for her songs when she plays live. unless of course its kill kenada.

your honour, i remind you to give me feedback on my samson remix. looks like you've been checking it out. does everyone hate it and are being nice or is everyone lazy? feedback feedback feedback.

so check out the samson remix thread. dont go to my first link in the first entry. go to the one further down the page and follow the link there. it looks the same but the bit in the ...s is different. - confused (i would be)

;-)

peace and love

i'm gonna see regina

i'm gonna see radiohead

i'm gonna see mystery jets

i'm gonna see dungen

i'm gonna see os mutantes

i'm gonna go to green man festival, (a chilled version of burning man)

i'll stop boasting.

steve

www.abandondrugs.co.uk

"Cute" I'd say.

But I never take music videos too seriously. I think the song (any song) impacts you in a certain way and conveys a different story to each individual, so you might already have an idea of how you visualize the song. Maybe it's not exactly what you envisioned, but in the end, it's just a video.

Your connection to the song, emotionally or visually, is a far more beautiful thing. There's just no comparison.

Is anyone here aware that Regina's video director, Adria Petty, is Tom Petty's daughter? My wife named our Siberian Husky puppy Adria recently after reading Tom's autobiography. I didn't make the connection until reading the liner notes on Soviet Kitsch while sitting inline for Chinese food last month. "Us" is one of the coolest videos I've seen in years.

I can't say I was impressed by the music video. Simplistic or no, sellout or no, I didn't really think about any of that--it just bored me. The echo-y image is interesting as an idea, but not for the entire song.