Sign in to follow this  
Galactastica

Baobabs/The Little Prince

First, let me say that the song Baobabs holds a very special place in my heart, because it is what introduced me to Regina. I saw the title and immediately connected it to The Little Prince, and had to see what it was like.

From there, the rest is history.

I adore the story of The Little Prince. The repositioning of the concept of 'taming' is just brilliant to me, and if you read the story you'll understand. The story and the song both have that childlike vibe to them, but contain wisdom beyond expectation.

If you've ever listened to the song and not read the story, you really should read it. It's so wonderful.

I've read all of this discussion, and checked the Wikipedia page for 'The Little Prince' (note: someone recently added thie Regina connection on there) but I am still baffled to what the heck a BAOBAB is?

What are BAOBABS besides fun to say/sing?

a Baobab is a giant tree, there are many in africa. here is what they look like:

http://www.africatanzania.com/images/baobab.jpg

the baobab trees are a very special part of the little little prince story. you can read the majority of the book here>>

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince/introduction.html

or just skim through and find the parts about Baobabs. you will see them in the pictures.

Ahhh! Thanks galactastica, I think I actually DID know that at one time, but my brain is too small to hold on to a lifetime of gathered information. Some of it squeezes out Big Grin

It definitely looks how is sounds. If that tree could talk it would say in a slow deep voice "heelllllooooooooo. Myyyyy naaammmeeee iss baaaoooobaaaaaaaaab...."

baobab.jpg

quote:
heelllllooooooooo. Myyyyy naaammmeeee iss baaaoooobaaaaaaaaab...."

haha that cracked me up. in the little prince, (since i am bored at work) the baobab is like a metephor for his problems. the baobabs that start to grow on his planet, if you dont uproot them when they are small, will grow so big they will take over the whole planet and ruin it. just like problems in life. but then again, if you have a weed that may be a baobab or may be something else, there is a chance that if you dont tend to it (though risky) it may grow into something as beautiful as a rose.

after she closed with baobabs in san francisco. i made her a patch and card with this picture on it:

reginaprince.jpg

i gave it to her at the LA show. i'm going to make a coloring book i think based on her and her literary refrences. ha.

baobas is my fav song ever. i'm glad regina wrote it before i did.