Sign in to follow this  
KingOfTheSwing

Summer in the City

quote:
Originally posted by KingOfTheSwing:

Thanks so much!

Can't believe people in the crowd are laughing at (with?) the lyrics. They're clever, as always, but jeez... it's one of the most heartbreaking songs I've heard in a long time. Oh well, as long as they're enjoying it Smiler

I know! That's how I've always felt too. The first time I heard "cleavage, cleavage, cleavage," I did laugh, but after that I understood the feeling of the song more and didn't find it quite so funny as much as sad and lonely.

Now I play this song on piano too, and get kind of annoyed when people laugh at the lyrics. It's such a deep, tragic piece.

I think that's the whole point. The lyrics seem funny at first, but by the end, you realize how "heartbreaking" and "tragic" (to quote the previous posts) the song is. I don't think Regina expected people not to laugh when she decided to start the song off with "summer in the city...means clevage, clevage, clevage!" She probably meant to put it that way, the humor slowly sinking into the loneliness and sadness of the song. Very cleverly written.

And you don't hear the crowd laughing at the "clevage, clevage, clevage" the second time around (at least, in the recording I have).

Yeah. I love the sharp, immediate turn in tone of the song. But I still heard a few people laughing at "telling strangers personal things" Maybe it's just the way Regina sings it, but for me, that's the line that makes me start to want to cry, and then it's nothing but heartbreak from there. Dare I say a masterpiece? I think I just did.