Sign in to follow this  
braille__

what is with the new sound?!

do not fret braille___ her music has not changed! sure there some guitars and drums and other instruments i've never heard of; but she's still regina and no matter what, she's still making the same amazing music. and i know at first it sounds like, OMG WHAT IS SHE DOING but then you realized it's just as amazing as all her other songs. regina = love. and we all have to accept and love her no matter how many instruments are added to her amah-zin' songs.

At first I too was a little unnerved by the new sound. But now that I have listened to it about a thousand times, I see that this album was written by the same genius that created Songs and Soviet Kitsch. The beauty of Regina is that she has explored several different genres of music while maintaining the integrity of her songs. I absolutely adore her.

I believe what really defines Regina (besides her incredible piano playing that I could only hope to match) is her truly unique and beautiful way of writing and putting together words and phrases that make sense only in her songs. Think about it - not many other artists these days write with such talent. Most songs, besides being written by some big name company, not the artist themself, are about breaking up with your significant other of what, one week, falling in love with your significant other of one week, your significant other of one week dying, blah, blah, blah. Regina's lyrics are always fresh and original, and show a true talent that exceeds any music put to the words, regardless of whether it's one instrument or twenty.

And anyway, I'm particularly fond of her "new sound." And I think that the fact that she can add all these other instuments and still manage to keep her acoustic piano talent on the front line throughout many of the songs is another example of just how amazing an artist she is.

The new album features aongs that we've all heard before (except "Lady") and unfairly the album was compared to the live versions that we had grown so accustomed to. A more true test of how her fans percieve her newer 'music with money' style, will be when she records and releases songs that we've never heard before.

Oh, and to the people complaining about the "new Samson", I'm listening to SRG's March 2002 recording and EVEN THEN she played it almost EXACLTY the same speed as on 'Begin to Hope'. People are bitches.

Power to the Reg.

I also had much of the same feeling, and really what is difficult is that it's hard not to think of this as part of a regular pattern. Unplugged, organic, folky sounding musicians leave the intimate sound of their singular guitar/piano behind and get a band, produce a polished album that sounds a lot of records, original fans feel abandoned...

I am trying very hard not to feel this way, as Regina has stated that going in this direction was her decision. You also have to understand that she does need to market her music. She is not at the level of popularity of someone who is living a lavish pop-star lifestyle. She's being smart.

I purposely listened to the album twice in a row (Just got it yesterday) becuase I thought "ok, just relax..it'll grow on me right?" And it did start to sink in. You have to keep the essense of the song in mind and not get caught up in the "sound."

The reason pop music sucks today is not because of it's sound, but becuase most pop musicians have absolutely nothing to say. They have no integrity in their writing, no subject matter, no originality in their lyrics, and they whore their music at predictable intervals like chunks of meat. This is not what Regina is doing at all. This album has pop characteristics but listen deeper and you'll find all the Regina-ness still there.

I still am partial to the intimate, solo piano type stuff, just as I'm partial to Bob Dylan with his guitar or Chopin or Satie when it is played just on piano. But that is my limitation, not theirs.