Sign in to follow this  
braille__

what is with the new sound?!

I do know what you mean about the "new" sound.

I suppose the most noticeable thing for me is that on "Fidelity", it sounds like a fair amount of compression was utilised. It doesn't bother me so much (probably because I ADORE the lyrics and her voice) but my girlfriend cannot tolerate it.

I realise though, that the compression is being used for stylistic purposes, and not as a part of the volume war that so many producers/engineers seem to be jumping into, so it doesn't bother me so much.

quote:
The reason pop music sucks today is not because of it's sound, but becuase most pop musicians have absolutely nothing to say. They have no integrity in their writing, no subject matter, no originality in their lyrics, and they whore their music at predictable intervals like chunks of meat. This is not what Regina is doing at all. This album has pop characteristics but listen deeper and you'll find all the Regina-ness still there.

This is absolutely true. Pop music is not bad because of its layered, studio-produced sound (which can be quite effective for certain songs); it's bad because of its homogeneity and shallowness. Since neither of these problems can be said to remotely apply to Begin to Hope, I'd say that Regina's experimentation is drawing on all the good and none of the bad of the poppier songs out there. Much like her recent dabbling in country music has avoided too much twanginess or angst. I welcome the change; we've already heard the unproduced versions of these songs, so if all you wanted was the live recordings in CD format without any changes, just listen to the old live versions rather than Begin to Hope. Win-win.

I'm not saying you need to like Regina's new sounds (not "new sound", as she's branched off into numerous different areas), but I don't see how Regina can be faulted for not playing it safe and just remaining in her Soviet Kitsch niche market forever. It seems to me to be just a matter of taste; whether you like Begin to Hope or not simply depends on what kinds of music and song you prefer, and is as subjective as whether you like a certain song or not.

ReginaFanatic, your opinion is perfectly fair; I see no objective superiority to the more intimate original "Fidelity" over the more layered album "Fidelity". It just depends on what kinds of sounds appeal to you; it's no more "correct" to prefer the live Fidelity than it is to prefer pancakes over waffles. The reason so many older fans aren't as fond of the changes as newer ones isn't because Regina "sold out", it's simply because someone who plays X type of music will naturally attract fans who like X type of music, and who thus aren't necessarily likely to enjoy Y type of music as much if she starts changing her style. Which is why Regina is really going out on a limb by doing all this experimentation with her sound nowadays, especially since she clearly hasn't made herself especially mainstream-accessible: take another listen to the rest of Begin to Hope (like "Lady" and "Edit" and "20 Years of Snow" and "Apres Moi") and try to make the argument that she's a sold-out mainstream pop artist now. Smiler Right, she's just like Britney Spears, what with always quoting Russian poetry in her lyrics and having entire verses consisting of making "brr-brr-brr" noises with her lips!

The point is, it's still a matter of taste. At least in this thread, we're really discussing what kinds of music we personally like, not a general degradation in the quality of Regina's work.

Personally, I guess I'm a bit of an anomaly, as I'm a huge fan of most of Regina's old stuff and most of her new stuff. And that, again, is just a reflection of my own personal tastes, which are unusually eclectic and widely-ranged. My main disappointment with Begin to Hope wasn't the studio production, but the noninclusion of the song Begin to Hope (and of other thematically-linked songs, like Loveology, in lieu of songs that didn't fit as well stylistically, like 20 Years of Snow). The song selection might make some sense auditorily (e.g., "these songs sound good together"), but it doesn't make any sense thematically or lyrically, which, again, reflects my personal preference for a focus on song meaning in addition to sound. But then, that's nothing new either.

thanks for the link

and yea. dont get me wrong, i absolutely LOVE the live version of fidelity. in fact, when i first started listening to her, i hadnt heard any lie stuff, and when i did, i was blown away, and it made me love her even more. i was afraid at first that itd ruin my opinion of her.. some artists sound good on recordings but not live, and that makes me think much less of them. but i heard fidelity lie, and it was awesome, and that began my wonderful regina obsession.

so... noob... but I wanted to say that a.) my first exposure to regina as being aware to who I was hearing, was the new sound. Though I totally prefer the older stuff, I really feel that fidelity is a really great way to get people to explore her stuff. Now, I'm totally like man I would LOVE to hear the live version of fidelity but it was a really great way to get me aware of who she was.

secondly, I was listening to samson on the songs cd and samson on begin to hope and as a vocalist, from a vocal standpoint, the begin to hope version is a better vocal performance. You get more diversity in the voice. They're almost identical performances but diversity of the voice quality throughout samson is just more and more apprpriate I think.

The only song I could really do without though is better. Is it on another cd besides begin to hope? It's just so overproduced I can't handle it.

I agree with you about Samson, court. As for Better, when I first heard it on Begin to Hope it was one of my least favorite songs, but since then it's become one of my favorites, oddly enough. You can find live performances of it aplenty, but it's not on any other CDs, even though it's one of Regina's older songs (dating back to 1997-98).

I rarely have the "Oh this new record sounds so mainstream" reaction to most albums and I usually don't understan the people who do... I barely know another record than Begin to Hope in this case (though I do listen to the previous work on the site) and I can't say it's really that different (stylistic) besides the different production.

this original post disturbs me.

who's responsibility is it to create music for regina.... regina...thats right

if she wants to make an album like this...she can. shes not begging you to listen shes conveying a message. feel lucky we have an angel ike regina. this album is not my favorite but its great.

how can you be angry because an artist changes their sound...look how far it got the beatles! i love their evolution of sound and these regina songs are great even though they aren't my faves of hers. i promise to stop bitching about BTH. because another listen to the album in full reminded me of the first time i got BTH and how wonderfull it made me feel, and how i listened to it nonstop for four days in a transe. you cant deny its beauty. and we all know that regina gets what regina wants whe it comes to how her music is produced.. so obviously she wanted it this way!

Deep breath Perks. Now click your heels together and repeat after me. "It's only someones opinion, it's only someones opinion."

Then say 5 GCF's to yourself:

"'Cause people are just people,

People are just people,

People are just people like you.

People are just people,

People are just people,

People are just people like you."

"The world is everlasting

It's coming and it's going

The world is everlasting

It's coming and it's going

It's coming and it's going"