Sign in to follow this  
braille__

what is with the new sound?!

Actually, I thought only Punkrockers and metalheads had this 'it sounds so mainstream' problem (with almost every new album their favorite bands release)... though, it reminds me of Bob Dylan's first "electric" gig also (which I saw on tv about 40 years after it happened). I can get quite upset by such sentiments too, it's so narrow minded.

The only song with the new production on BTH that I really didn't like and still don't is 'Fidelity' because i feel the general upbeatness and choice of instruments betrays the lyrics behind it. I remember when i used to hear this live it would make me cry but it's just lost it's edge for me with the new production. Though it's completely Regina's choice, and you can tell this is probably what it was always like in her head, i just fell in love with the stripped down version.

Love 'Better' though, i'm surprised it was a grower for so many people!

Posting in this thread is like looking up 12th century maps of the world and bitching to the library about how the earth isn't flat.

It bugs me when these old threads are revived like this because they are completely out of context.

The date on the initial post was almost a year ago, and was a knee-jerk reaction to the BRAND NEW (at the time) album. I didn't like it much either at first, and I still prefer Regina's orchestral instrumentation to the synths and perfectly timed beats of BTH. I think the album would've actually been even more successful if it had gone the SK route of production, but all that aside, I grew to like BTH. What anyone thought a year ago doesn't matter anymore because it's completely out of context.

Stick to the current issues people... like when is Reg going to come back to see me?

It's not even a question about artists being able to grow and changing their spots if they want to.

Or maybe it is.

Imagine if you always wore jeans, blue jeans, not because you thought about it but because they were simply pants. Then one day you saw some red pants and thought, hey!, they're cool, I'm going to weare those.

But everybody went ,"Oh no, you're our rock, you're our denim steadfastness. Take off those new red things and go back to being what you always were... for us."

And you thought, my God, they're only pants, okay I did think they might change perceptions abit and maybe open up some new possibles, but hey, thats all incidental really. I'm still the same me.

Nope, you're a new me. a becoming me. A me that takes risks even if the new risk is to be be seen as a no risk. Being less risky is definitely one of the biggest risks for the predominately risky.

Whether you like this or that song is simply the way it is. Regina decided which songs and their arrangements to please herself. If her fans like what she did is great, but she did what SHE wanted and not what she thought everyone else wanted.

Sorry this post is preachy but I'm saying what I think:

I don't like that some people are complaining that regina (no capitals) sounds more mainstream, more commercial. If you don't like these songs then that's OK and you can say that (everyone has a right to express their opinion, positive or negative), but not liking an album because it sounds too commercial is just dumb. Just because an album sounds like the masses will queue up to buy it doesn't mean that you should suddenly hate it. "I only like music that nobody's heard of," is finnicky.

However, "I used to like the song, but after the radio stations play it twice a day I'm getting sick of it," is quite a legitimate reason for hating a (any) song but try to remember the song for what it was.

As regina has become more famous she's had more access to more instuments and more help recording and arranging her songs. Thus producing a commercial effect.

quote:
Originally posted by Beechcraft Bonanza:

I can get quite upset by such sentiments too, it's so narrow minded.

What? Why is it narrow minded? I don't like Begin to Hope, I don't have to like it either. That doesn't "make" me anything, and frankly, I resent the idea that it does.