Sign in to follow this  
braille__

what is with the new sound?!

quote:
Originally posted by Niall:

Sorry this post is preachy but I'm saying what I think:

I don't like that some people are complaining that regina (no capitals) sounds more mainstream, more commercial. If you don't like these songs then that's OK and you can say that (everyone has a right to express their opinion, positive or negative), but not liking an album because it sounds too commercial is just dumb..

Why is that "dumb"? I don't like her commericial sound because I think it sounds like kareoke. Because I think that the slick prodution detracts from the soul of the song. Because it sounds like everything else.

Yeah, I dislike it because it's too commercial now, it's not special anymore. I don't think that's a "dumb" reason, it's perfectly valid.

quote:
Originally posted by kiwifruit:

quote:
Originally posted by Beechcraft Bonanza:

I can get quite upset by such sentiments too, it's so narrow minded.

What? Why is it narrow minded? I don't like Begin to Hope, I don't have to like it either. That doesn't "make" me anything, and frankly, I resent the idea that it does.

Well, you should realise that an artist has a mind of her/his own, and a good artist will not limit him/herself to do what his/her "fans" expect her to do, or want her to do. You should not think your musical heroes have exactly the same tastes as you in music, and WILL go in a slightly different direction when they feel like it, even if it might alienate some of their more single-minded fans. Okay, a fan might thus not like the direction an artist has taken, but complaining about it will not change the record, nor will it change the artist's direction, that's her choice (I've never heard of a band who re-directed back to the old road when they'd just turned a corner to a new one just because some fans complained). If you don't like it, DON'T buy the album and stay away from the concerts, you'll only get upset.

@ kiwifruit: Sounds like everything else? huh? I've heard a lot of "everything else" and "everything else" Begin to Hope is not. It might be so that BTH is less of an "acquired taste" than the previous work, that's true. But, come on! I say, it's not like she turned into a second Norah Jones is it?

And in fact, any artist who wans his music heard, books read, paintings seen and films viewed is dabbling with commerce, there's no escape from commerce in a kapitalist world. As soon as you start getting paid for your art, you are commercial. You're a buissiness whether you like it or not, whether you sell one billion of records or just 15, you are being commercial. Even a busker is "commercial"... and Regina being Mainstream? that's just odd. I can't see the mainstreamness in songs like Edit, Après Moi, Twenty Years of Snow and That Time.

And then, Mainstream is so popular even underground artists take influences from there to use/mangle/twist/distort/improve in their own material.

I've gotten over that whole Mainstream/Underground rivalry, both are connected in more ways than just opposites, they are symbiotic, one can't be there without the other. When one is stale, both are stale.

Those are very good points you made, Beechcraft, but come on...this topic has been going on for almost a year and hasn't really gone anywhere. You mean well and you just want people to try to appreciate Regina's efforts, that's obvious, but I'm not sure people are just going to suddenly change their minds once you've had your say. Believe me, I love Begin to Hope, it was the first album I ever got by Regina, but not everyone feels the same way and probably aren't going to budge. And that's just fine for them, they can have their opinions, as weird as you may think they are.

I do understand that people have their opinions and that i will most likely not change their opinion or personal taste. I just try to explain that "commercial", "Mainstream" and "underground" are relative terms and not as strongly opposed to each other as most people think and that "sounding commercial" is even more of a personal observation to me, for it seems that the border between a commercial and a non-commercial sound is quite blurry in general (it's always something different for each [group of] individual). Is it urban drum-loops? The string sections? the absence of background noise/tape-hum? the use of backing vox. and additional instruments when you're a solo-artist? Singing about love? Recording with pro-tools in an a-class studio rather than on a vintage 4-track taperecorder?

what's the use of complaining?

Maybe I just don't like complaining... Wink

Oh...I see. Well, you do make a lot of sense in what you say, I hope you get that I'm not trying to get you to shut up or whatever, by all means, express your opinions just like everyone else definitely doesn't hesitate to do. Wink

quote:

Well, you should realise that an artist has a mind of her/his own, and a good artist will not limit him/herself to do what his/her "fans" expect her to do, or want her to do. You should not think your musical heroes have exactly the same tastes as you in music, and WILL go in a slightly different direction when they feel like it, even if it might alienate some of their more single-minded fans. Okay, a fan might thus not like the direction an artist has taken, but complaining about it will not change the record, nor will it change the artist's direction, that's her choice (I've never heard of a band who re-directed back to the old road when they'd just turned a corner to a new one just because some fans complained). If you don't like it, DON'T buy the album and stay away from the concerts, you'll only get upset.

Don't patronise me, I'm fully aware that Regina has mandate to do whatever she wants with her music. Her style has changed several times already over the years I've been a fan of years and up until BTH, I've loved all of her experimentation. I don't like this one, apparently this makes me a narrow minded person, a single-minded "fan" (BTW, these snarky little comments are very tacky and don't endear you at all)

quote:

@ kiwifruit: Sounds like everything else? huh? I've heard a lot of "everything else" and "everything else" Begin to Hope is not. It might be so that BTH is less of an "acquired taste" than the previous work, that's true. But, come on! I say, it's not like she turned into a second Norah Jones is it?

Regina being Mainstream? that's just odd. I can't see the mainstreamness in songs like Edit, Après Moi, Twenty Years of Snow and That Time.

And then, Mainstream is so popular even underground artists take influences from there to use/mangle/twist/distort/improve in their own material.

Well, I happen to like Norah Jones, I think an obvious talent and warmth comes through in her music. Moreso than that, there is an element of personality. I don't hear much personality in Begin to Hope, the songs are great of course, but all of their character has been varnished over in favour of something more radio friendly. That is, in my opinion, the very definition of an "everything else" musician.

The album, Begin to Hope, as a whole, I find mainstream. It appeals to the majority, of course, this is not necessarily a bad thing, like I said, I like Norah Jones, sometimes the 'majority' can have pretty good taste. My problem is when the "mainstream" becomes the banal. And I don't care if you disagree with that, if you love the album then great for you, what I DO have a problem with is you insulting people and making assumptions about them just because their opinion differs from yours.

quote:

hehe, when I heard the first few bars of fidelity I thought it would just be another crappy R&B song with just a nice riff totally misused... I was so wrong, nice thing the remote was out of reach Wink

OMG! I can't believe I missed this post! That's exactly what I thought when I first heard Fidelity too! As the song went on, I realised how great it was... and became a fan! \o/

i'd unknowingly heard regina b4 fidelity but one morning i was a little early so sat to watch vh1..a rarity for me...and i caught the very end where they start throwing color around, and i thought okay...this girl is very interessting, i was one of the few people i know who actually liked the glottal stop the first time i heard it (and when i got BTH i played it nonstop and my stepdad would laugh and go he-ah-ah-hAH kugh kugh.... and pretend to choke) but i really liked it when i heard it. and im glad i came in during the middle because the begining tricks you. i agree

I don't actually know anyone personally who doesn't like the glottal stop part of "Fidelity", although I was annoyed when one of my friends said, "I love it when singers try to be different," but then gagged when I let her listen to "Music Box". Roll Eyes

I know this is off-topic, but I might as well rant while I'm here...it's just so annoying to me that I can't sit down with someone I know and be able to talk about Regina with them because my friends only like her songs like "Fidelity" and "On the Radio" and "Us". Sigh.