Sign in to follow this  
braille__

what is with the new sound?!

hahaha... i know what you mean. i was talking, and mentioned regina and some valley girl was like "regina spektor...oh i love her" and i was excited i could talk to someone about her and i asked her fav song and of course her reply was "oh fidelity for sure, and on the radio is good...oh oh and samson" and i said "but what about Blue lips and small town moon" and this look crossed her face that told me she didn't have a clue what i was talking about.

tons of people i know make fun of fidelity... the glottal stop always, i love it and just suspect they are insane.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

hahaha... i know what you mean. i was talking, and mentioned regina and some valley girl was like "regina spektor...oh i love her" and i was excited i could talk to someone about her and i asked her fav song and of course her reply was "oh fidelity for sure, and on the radio is good...oh oh and samson" and i said "but what about Blue lips and small town moon" and this look crossed her face that told me she didn't have a clue what i was talking about.

tons of people i know make fun of fidelity... the glottal stop always, i love it and just suspect they are insane.

Lots of people are fans of more traditional, non-affected singing. So Regina's little quirks like the glottal stops are irritating to them. Now, I enjoy opera singers as much as the next guy, but isn't there room in the musical universe for something different?

Now I remember how I initially got into Regina. I bought Soviet Kitsch in early July 2006 just because the title caught my eye. Amazon.com didn't have any samples, so I bought blindly. Then I listened to it and wasn't totally blown away until I heard "Us". That made me VERY interested! Then I listened to the CD for about 2 months and that was it until March of this year when I got afflicted with Regina all over again. This time it's for good!

i really can't see getting mad at her for making the new record the way it is. she's a diverse music listener and a versatile writer, why would she want to stick to the same old thing? let her branch out and try different sounds, she'll make it work regardless.

quote:
Originally posted by kiwifruit:

quote:
Originally posted by Beechcraft Bonanza:

Well, you should realise that an artist has a mind of her/his own, and a good artist will not limit him/herself to do what his/her "fans" expect her to do, or want her to do. You should not think your musical heroes have exactly the same tastes as you in music, and WILL go in a slightly different direction when they feel like it, even if it might alienate some of their more single-minded fans. Okay, a fan might thus not like the direction an artist has taken, but complaining about it will not change the record, nor will it change the artist's direction, that's her choice (I've never heard of a band who re-directed back to the old road when they'd just turned a corner to a new one just because some fans complained). If you don't like it, DON'T buy the album and stay away from the concerts, you'll only get upset.

Don't patronise me, I'm fully aware that Regina has mandate to do whatever she wants with her music. Her style has changed several times already over the years I've been a fan of years and up until BTH, I've loved all of her experimentation. I don't like this one, apparently this makes me a narrow minded person, a single-minded "fan" (BTW, these snarky little comments are very tacky and don't endear you at all)

quote:

@ kiwifruit: Sounds like everything else? huh? I've heard a lot of "everything else" and "everything else" Begin to Hope is not. It might be so that BTH is less of an "acquired taste" than the previous work, that's true. But, come on! I say, it's not like she turned into a second Norah Jones is it?

Regina being Mainstream? that's just odd. I can't see the mainstreamness in songs like Edit, Après Moi, Twenty Years of Snow and That Time.

And then, Mainstream is so popular even underground artists take influences from there to use/mangle/twist/distort/improve in their own material.

Well, I happen to like Norah Jones, I think an obvious talent and warmth comes through in her music. Moreso than that, there is an element of personality. I don't hear much personality in Begin to Hope, the songs are great of course, but all of their character has been varnished over in favour of something more radio friendly. That is, in my opinion, the very definition of an "everything else" musician.

The album, Begin to Hope, as a whole, I find mainstream. It appeals to the majority, of course, this is not necessarily a bad thing, like I said, I like Norah Jones, sometimes the 'majority' can have pretty good taste. My problem is when the "mainstream" becomes the banal. And I don't care if you disagree with that, if you love the album then great for you, what I DO have a problem with is you insulting people and making assumptions about them just because their opinion differs from yours.

I sincerely apologize for offending you. Terribly sorry for being rude...

We have different opinions, but both of us are entitled to have those.

I did not mean to insult, it was quite a flawed rethoric on the "sell-out/not sell-out" discussion, while your own "sounds like everything else" remark just made me curious to the motivation of said words.

And well, as to Norah Jones, it was just a name to use as example as she's a colleague of Regina, but a different kind of musician really. she only recently began to write more songs by herself. Before the current album most of her songs were covers or (co-)written by others, not necessarily a bad thing, but a contrast with Regina Spektor's work, which is mostly own material (and not just the latest album). I would say a predominance of own material shows more personality than a predominance of covers and co-written stuff, but then, Elvis almost exclusively played covers and songs written for him and was still the King and surely someone with personality... Confused

i kind of agree with bonanza... begin to hope is pretty mainstream. I play alot of her songs on the piano for my friends, and they never knew what any of it was or even who she was until 'fidelity' came out. Now they're all singing it, and honestly, it is kindof annoying. In earlier years, regina was more 'intimate,' u know? With only loyal fans, not just random people who saw her music video. That's a little selfish if u think about it, I (or we) should want her to have as much exposure as possible so that everyone will learn what a talented person she is, but it's kindof strange that everyone knows who she is now.