alsoran

post your favorite photos of regina

...I don't think it's up to us to say that the strokes were a bad influence on her for eating meat on the tour? I actually read somewhere that hacklers in the audience once made her cry and the guys from the strokes helped to toughen her up and say fuck it.

"What the hell, Regina? You're smoking! What do you have to say for yourself?"

lennonist, I think ppl just got worked up by your use of language which actually did sound more than "the least bit angry" that's all. Of course it's hard to read tone and intent from a forum post

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

The Strokes were such a bad influence on her.

"Between mouthfuls of egg (sunny side up on rye), she says she used to be vegetarian, but touring with the Strokes, who existed on a diet of steaks and burgers, put paid to that." -from 2006 Guardian article from the Quotations thread

Well I don't think we can assume the guys from the strokes were a bad influence on her just because they ate a bunch of meat? Cause she can make her own decisions and not being a vegetarian doesn't make you a bad influence.

I actually read somewhere that she cried because a mean group of guys in the audience saw her panties and the strokes helped to toughen her up and just say fuck it. It's a fun story, if i find it i'll share.

Anyways aside from minor incidents like this and musiclovers endless trolling i think you'll like it here and we're glad to have you! Welcome to the stix!!!

No-no, it was mock rage. I meant to say it in a lighthearted manner, though it's hard to convey the right tone behind words over the internet. I'll be sure to include lots of emoticons in the future so the tone is clearer. My sense of humor is sort of abstruse and hard to fathom, but you'll just have to deal with it I guess. ;^p And English is my third or so language, so I'm kind of overly insecure about communicating clearly and being understood.

Reginaoverdose, you're right, it was in NME magazine in the story "When Kate Nash Met Regina Spektor" from http://www.sybrandt.dk/nash_meets_spektor1_small.jpg and http://reginaspektor.infopop.c...141061152#4141061152

quote:
...it's a minor tragedy that Regina Spektor hasn't achieved a level of stardom that reflects her huge talent. A classically-trained musician and a scholar of the piano, she moved from the old Soviet Union to New York as a child and began to perform around the city's countless bars, cafes and all-purpose shitholes while self-releasing albums at the same time. It was 2003's superb 'Soviet Kitsch' that converted a 16-year old Kate to Regina's unique charm, and she wasn't the only one. The press reaction was orgasmic ans she even had the patronage of The Strokes to aid her.

"They were the kindest people when I toured with them after 'Room On Fire' came out. The second ever time I opened for them, there were these frat boys in the front row and, because of the way I was sitting, they could see my underwear. I heard them slow-clapping and then they said, 'Good job Norah fucking Jones!' After my set, I ran offstage crying, but the band came up to my dressing room and started to teach me how to deal with hecklers. They said that I should always turn the tables on them, so by the end of the tour I was so tough - I'd go on stage smoking cigarettes and spitting on the floor and saying, 'Fuck you, and you, and your mother!' By the time I went home, my mom was like, 'Who are you?'"

I don't mind Musiclover2009 - I just wish he was self-contained and didn't clutter the forums. I wouldn't mind a thread to house all political banter.

Thank you for the belated welcome. People on here are intelligent and friendly. I'm a new convert to Reginaology after watching (500) Days of Summer and I'm still discovering her unreleased songs (the great magnitude of which necessitates a community such as this simply to find and catalog them) and interesting details about her, so forgive me if I comment on something that is well-known to Regina diehards.

For the record, I love it when musicians and celebrities make mistakes or reveal their humanity, hence why I thought it interesting enough to comment about it in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

(the great magnitude of which necessitates a community such as this simply to find and catalog them)

Thought this list could help you out and be a go-to guide, it's the one i depend on.

I've, thank God, never lost anyone close to me so it's hard for me to relate to the situation regina is in right now but these really brought me closer to it, seeing a universally recognized emotion on the face of someone who we love and who brings such joy to people.

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in the Sounds:

I once read another story about touring with the Strokes in which Regina said that these guys kept yelling show us your tits and afterward she wanted to quit the tour but the band helped her deal with it.

I remember that. This is what you're referring to:

Regina Spektor: A woman of substance

http://www.independent.co.uk/a...ubstance-438394.html

quote:
I am shocked, then, that some people dare to heckle her.

When she toured with The Strokes in 2003, she had to deal with "show us your tits" moments, she says. "On the second or third night, some frat boys were screaming stuff. And The Strokes were so nice, they were side of stage, and as soon as I was done I dashed across them and ran upstairs, crying, with mascara running down my face. Because I'm a sensitive person I felt so hurt by it and I felt like a failure. I thought they were going to send me home." I suggest that she should have taken a drumstick to the scumbags, but The Strokes gave her some better advice: attack is the best form of defence. "I think I got into it too much, actually," she says mischievously.

"Now, if anybody says something I'll be like, 'Fuck you!'"

You get the impression that the sensitive Spektor was not born to the rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

Regina Spektor Takes America by Song

http://www.heebmagazine.com/re...kes-america-by-song/

quote:
Spektor’s label, Record Collection (a subsidiary of Warner Bros.) has had a difficult time establishing her niche. While she could easily fall into the embracing arms of Tori Amos fans, she has admirably opened for the likes of indie rock fair, respectively touring with The Strokes and Kings of Leon. Unfortunately, though, when Spektor performs for the rock fans, she has found that they’re less tolerant than expected.

“When I opened for The Strokes and Kings of Leon, I was very intimidated,” she reveals. “I would get on stage and people would yell, ‘Show us your tits!’ Now, you try performing a ballad on a piano after that kind of greeting.” But the doe-eyed performer says that this has only made her skin thicker. “I have an incredible group of friends in the music industry supporting me and my music. That matters to me and inspires me to keep playing. One nasty person cannot discourage me.”

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

I've, thank God, never lost anyone close to me so it's hard for me to relate to the situation regina is in right now but these really brought me closer to it, seeing a universally recognized emotion on the face of someone who we love and who brings such joy to people. From this same set i posted earlier...

4782833464_86deff523d.jpg

4782833862_208bd53615.jpg

These photos are so heart breaking. I'm at a loss for words really... Frowner