UrbnBoy123

Samson

quote:
Originally posted by a_secret_chord:

she does say 'old light'.

and its obviously about samson and delilah, i figured the reason she says they arent mentioned in the bible is meant to mean the bible didn't portray them in the way they really were.

some1 on songmeanings said that they thought it was written from the perspective of some1 who was with samson before delilah, i dont exactly agree but i thought it was a nice take on it.

no, that really wouldn't work if it was from a perspective of anyone besides delilah..cause then why would she cut his hair? anyway, I agree with the first statement you made, cause I was wondering what she meant--cause they obviously were mentioned in the bible.

yeh i said i didn't agree with it, i do think its a good take on it tho, and i think songs (like any other art) are best left open for interpretation, i dont think its fair to say some1 is flat out wrong, cos they are finding their own sense of it..

even if the artist herself came forward and said 'thats not what i was writing about', i still wouldn't back down, i think anybody who takes it all too literally is missing the point.

i find it interesting to hear other peoples takes on things cos its weird to think whoever posted that one about it being some1 who was with samson before delilah obviously has a different way of seeing the world, like it dont all have to make perfect logical sense for example. you can learn about the different ways in which people think just by readin their take on stuff like song lyrics.

its hard to explain what i am getting at, but i ahd a go haha

The biblical topic you brought up is the direct application of that song, but topics of this nature, especially ones from powerful books such as the Tora, Bible, Koran, Mikhail Afanasyevich's works, Shakespeare, Pasternak, Tolstoy etc., ALWAYS have extended applications...very major applications.

For example, the lines: "And the History books forgot about us, and the Bible didn't mention us, not even once" can be expanded on many different dimensions (exactly like the following picture:

img654.gif

)

You see, you can take "us" to be the characters she is talking about, OR you can take a different US that the History books (at least the school books) ALWAYS forget about (such as the MILLIONS of people who were forgotten about and left to starve in the Ukraine and her vicinity in the 1920's (and after)), but then again you could expand on a much more global scale and look at how the History books forget about people in general...those history books generally concentrate on animals...not humans, anyway enough rambling on that topic.

These are one of the things that make Regina's poetry so beautiful...the way she presents her thoughts...the words she uses, provide a straight-forward expansion of that idea to many different scales...in other words her words are not empty and are not located at a dead end.

Her style and "topics" are very similar to the styles and "topics" that bards use...and bards generally do not have any empty words.

And that "old light" interpretation that was mentioned...I love that.

I think it's about how Wonderbread™ can affect a relationship. Maybe just how sliced bread changed the world.

Oh, and just so you all know, I actually live in the house that sliced bread was invented in. I'm not lying! I will now go peel the crust off a slice of bread, squeeze the doughy part into a ball, and savour that delicious ball of bread.

Betcha Samson never did that.

Hello Stepped..I was just wondering if there are any DVD's of Regina's songs? Check out my multiply site..maybe there's a song or 2 for you....

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

You know what i Just noticed??!

On the Music Player on this Site, under Songs, Samson is spelled "SamPson" TYPO!!!

http://doreesky.multiply.com/

as pertaintaining to "the bible didnt mention us" i think shes talking about a relationship tht reminded her of samson and delilah and was saying that they (her relationship) wasnt mentioned or seemed as important to the world as the one that was mentioned.. just an idea

hmmm yes kittykat...i think that also for a few reasons: 1)I don't think they trusted anyone else other than each other(so how could anyone else truly know them? if no one really knew them then how could anybody truly write anything about them that wasn't fiction?and 2)ok,here goes...How about Samson is Jack and Regina is Delilah!?! didn't jack have long hair?.lol good night

quote:
Originally posted by kittykatxoxo:

as pertaintaining to "the bible didnt mention us" i think shes talking about a relationship tht reminded her of samson and delilah and was saying that they (her relationship) wasnt mentioned or seemed as important to the world as the one that was mentioned.. just an idea

quote:
Originally posted by abandondrugs:

samson's about the story of samson and delilah, which is, despite the lyrics saying the bible didnt mention us, in the bible, in the prophets section of the old testament. get your bibles out and start reading where reg tell you about her fave jewish story

steve

www.myspace.com/abandondrugs1 (samson remix)

Almost NOTHING in the bible is portrayed as it really was... except for some little pieces in the old testament here and there. Besides, the Gospels are grandiosely manipulated by the Byzantine Emperors.