UrbnBoy123

Samson

42 posts in this topic

I've just seen the clip for this amazing song:

and although this isn't proof of it's meaning, it might be another part of the puzzle - paper cranes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_crane has the story of the myth of 1000 paper cranes being made to stop someone from dying. If that's the meaning of the cranes in the clip, then this would support the theory that sweetness in my lungs had about this song being of 'Samson' dying of cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by davidh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_crane has the story of the myth of 1000 paper cranes being made to stop someone from dying. If that's the meaning of the cranes in the clip, then this would support the theory that sweetness in my lungs had about this song being of 'Samson' dying of cancer.

That makes so much sense! I loved Sweetness' interpretation. I read a novel in third grade about a girl dying of leukemia who tries to make 1000 cranes and that story has always stuck with me...

Oh and Sweetness, maybe "Beneath the paper lies our truth" could refer to the fact that there's more to the man than what his medical charts say about him.

yeah Smiler you guys are indeed clever.

the cranes, I have never heard of. But yeah. that's great symbolism.

TIHIW - that's great! "there's more to a man than what's in his chart". One More Time With Feeling, anyone...?

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

yeah Smiler you guys are indeed clever.

If it wasn't for you coming up with the interpretation in the first place, I would never have put 2 and 2 together Smiler

quote:
That makes so much sense! I loved Sweetness' interpretation. I read a novel in third grade about a girl dying of leukemia who tries to make 1000 cranes and that story has always stuck with me...
This was the same story I thought of when I saw the clip, much to the confusion of the people I was with when I jumped and yelled "Of course! Paper cranes!"

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

TIHIW - that's great! "there's more to a man than what's in his chart". One More Time With Feeling, anyone...?

Well when I saw medical charts as a possible interpretation of "beneath the sheets of paper" my mind immediately wanted to expand it to "beneath the sheets of paper lies my truth."

Wow I'm still so impressed by your ideas about this song... That's such a unique viewpoint.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

Wow I'm still so impressed by your ideas about this song... That's such a unique viewpoint.

oh no, please don't give me all the credit! the samson being sick thing I read somewhere, and then I just expanded and developed it Smiler

The "beautiful" song of Sampson is sung by Satan...a riddle of sorts. The Sampson of the Bible had his own riddle but in the end he finally repents of his on going adultery against the Lord...he bows low and even though physically blind he now sees and knows full well what he deserves. But the Lord was faithful and Sampson is mentioned in the Book of Hebrews for his faith. Not the "Sampson" of this song...when he finally gets in bed with Satan himself, and his hair is cut with a pair of dull scissors (they had been used many times) this Sampson says "it's alright...and continued kissing Satan until the morning light." No columns will be brought down now...he will not be mentioned for his faith and he is now one of Satan's greatest downfalls...a person who had been visited by the Spirit, ate of Christ now and then (Wonder Bread) but in the end rejected Him and chose Satan.

^^that's an interesting take on it! i don't know if we can say it's definitive, personally. There are romantic elements to it and a tenderness in the narration that doesn't lend itself to the character of satan: a great deceiver, consumed with hatred.

I like your reading of it, though, and i think it suits the song better than a lot of the interpretations i've heard!

p.s. welcome to the 'Stix!

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

I think it's about how Wonderbread™ can affect a relationship. Maybe just how sliced bread changed the world.

Oh, and just so you all know, I actually live in the house that sliced bread was invented in. I'm not lying! I will now go peel the crust off a slice of bread, squeeze the doughy part into a ball, and savour that delicious ball of bread.

Betcha Samson never did that.

Do you shower in beer then?