Sign in to follow this  
regina

soup from stone

We made a documentary about this famous soup called ""ROCK SOUP" back in 1990. Actually it was a film about the homeless on the Lower East Side and Kahlil, an entrepeneur who started a Soup Kitchen from nothing and fed everyone. During the course of the film, he tells the famous Stone Soup legend in a number of variations.

This topic may seem old now, but I remember making Stone soup in kindergarten. All the kids brought different vegetables to add to the soup, I had the honour of bringing "the stone". Can't quite remember what type of stone I brought, the size, color, etc., but I remember being very proud! It tasted like vegetable soup, a good home made vegetable soup with some sort of broth and fresh veggies!

I don't know if there are other recipes. I'm sure there are, but here is what I found for "Stone Soup":

Stone Soup

1 stone, big enough that it won't get lost in the soup (quartz is a good choice because it won't break down in cooking)

1 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped fine

1 large carrot, cut into coins

3 medium red-skinned potatoes (unpeeled, and cut into halves)

1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped

1 large garlic clove, pressed

6 cups chicken broth (or a combination of broth and water)

1 medium zucchini, diced large

1 medium yellow squash, diced large

1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen

2 cups cooked tubettini or ditalini, or other soup pasta (optional)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Grated Parmesan cheese

Croutons

1. The first step is for your child to scrub and wash the stone thoroughly. Then, for an extra cleaning, she can drop it in a pot of water to boil while you prepare the rest of the soup together.

2. In another large pot, melt the butter or heat the oil, then sauté the onion on medium-high for 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the celery, carrot, potatoes and red pepper, sautéeing for 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, then add in the broth. Using a spoon, fish the stone out of the other pot, add it to the soup and bring to a boil. Add the zucchini, squash, corn and pasta, cooking another 8 minutes or until the zucchini is the desired softness. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Before serving, sprinkle on the cheese and croutons, then ladle--minus the stone--into individual bowls. Serves 6 to 8.