Sign in to follow this  
ghost of corporate future

What is the first song you have people listen to from regina?

I was lucky. My mom's friend gave me Regina's first CD - 11:11 as a present, back in 2003. So I guess my first Regina song was "Love Affair". And it has been a love affair ever since. First thing I did was taking my husband to Regina's concert, only after she has charmed him in live I poped out the CD.

I also use the "trapped in the car trick" because her music is such a broad scope that you have to hear it all. Lately, while trying to introduce Regina to an acquitence of mine, I was really shocked when asking him if he wants to come to this really good concert with us, having an extra ticket and naming Regina - I got an answer "Yes! I've been planning to go too. I am so happy you are offering me a ticket". (something along these lines...) I am really happy she is getting so popular; and I do not care whether the first song people like is "Fidelity", as long as they keep listening and discovering it all. I must say that her more commercial songs are damn good too and many of the people I know got hooked on "Fidelity" and now fully enjoy Regina's variety and talent.

the first song i heard was somedays.. on i think jay leno...

depending on what sort of music the people i'm exposing regina to like it might be consequence of sounds.. or us... or your honour...

My best friend introduced me to the song Oedipus, and after that I was hooked. I think it may have had something to do with knowing the story from English class; but more than that it was the lyrics and the way Regina sings the song. It's so fun...so if I were to introduce Regina's songs to someone, more than likely the first song I'd use would be oedipus.

I wouldn't introduce most people to Regina with "Us" because (1) it's slightly unusual for her, and not really characteristic of her style; and (2) it's pretty long, so if you don't like it you might be turned off to hearing another Spektor sample. I'd definitely avoid "Back of a Truck", because when I first heard it it completely turned me off to Regina's early stuff; I've only come to appreciate it recently, so it's probably not the most accessible song to start with.

"Music Box" is indeed a good choice, as it demonstrates both her quirky and dark stylings, as well as her excellent piano skills and vocal range.

However, there isn't any catch-all selection, because ideally one should choose a song based on the tastes of the person you're introducing Regina's music to: a more rock-oriented person might like "That Time" or "Your Honor", someone who likes jazz or blues might like "Rejazz" or "Lady", etc. If you don't know much about the tastes of the person you're recommending it to, however, then my suggestion is to go with a few songs that hit most of Regina's bases and are likely to appeal to those who will like her songs:

1. "Samson", an example of her ballads.

2. "Fidelity" or "On The Radio", an example of her more upbeat, poppy songs.

3. "Daniel Cowman", an example of her surreal, humorous narratives, and her more stripped-down early songs in general.

For my part, the first song I heard of Regina's was "Ode to Divorce", and it hooked me, though "Apres Moi" sealed the deal. I also agree that the "whole CD" trick is best; I've made several CDs of Regina songs just to get people hooked with, and inevitably at least one of the songs will be someone's favorite (for example, today someone fell in love with "Buildings" when I played it on a long Regina CD; you can never fully predict which song will do it for someone).

the first song i hear by regina spektor was love affair, and it was so catchy i couldnt get it out of my head, but i didnt know who sung it. I couldnt remeber enough words to google it, and i had to wait until i heard fidelity on VH1 to recognize the voice id heard singing love affair. since then i have gotten my hands on every regina song i could and havent stoped singing reginas songs since. hey never leave my head. has anyone else seemed "addicted" to her music? maybe its just because of the whole package she brings to her songs.the reginaphenomenon of the haunting yet enchanting voice, great composition, lyrics, and that little kookyness that is in every song. other artists just dont put their whole self and abilities into their work, and i think thats what makes regina different, and well... better.

i usually make people listen to Pavlov's Daughter. I think if you dont like it then you wont like most of her really great stuff tht can get very anti-mainstream (which is y i love her in the first place) but most of my friends dont love her..so i give them 11:11 and then they eventually fall in love