Sign in to follow this  
Blonde Samson

Regina at V Festival

NerinaPallotVFest.jpg

I've trawled around The V Festival website for a glimpse of Regina but have found nothing yet. Confused

All was not lost though, I can share a really good laugh with you, from another of my favourite piano playing singer/songwriters the quite delightful Nerina Pallot. Roll Eyes

Can't help you on the pictures front, but i've heard that when Regina played she received a massive round of applause and cheers. Bigger than most of the other acts.

quote:
Originally posted by LittleVoice:

I've trawled around The V Festival website for a glimpse of Regina but have found nothing yet. Confused

Here's the interview:

By your own admission, your songs are little stories filled with crazy characters. Do you ever write in the first person? Are your lyrics about other people also a bit of a defence mechanism to keep fans from getting too close to what's really going on in your head?

It is my instinct to keep myself a bit private. I think it's just our culture, and it's really unfortunate, we've turned somewhere along the road, down this side street to somewhere that really isn't good. Homer was a bard and he wrote the Odyssey and it was full of all these amazing images and life lessons, and to care what he ate for breakfast or who he fucked is just so infantile. It doesn't give us any more of a glimpse into the Odyssey. It doesn't matter to us whether he related more to Athena, Portia or Odysseus. It doesn't matter which one was his ?I? or if this thing really happened to him in life and he incorporated it into his work.

I feel that now it goes together with the devaluing of life and individuality. People have always needed idols. It used to be the sun and the moon and mountains and fire and then slowly it's become hype and public eye and there's no reason for it. It's an escapism that's unhealthy.

A person should come home and think about their life and what they're doing to making it better, and have fun with their friends, just their own world. And that way good will radiate outwards from them. Instead they flip something on and they're like, who's cheating on whom, or who's divorcing whom. People are watching movies to see if there's real chemistry between two actors.

I want to be as insignificant as possible. I want to tell a story, hang out with you for an hour and half at a show, playing for you. It's like, I respect you, so you don't need to be like that with me. I'm looking up to you. I'm sitting and writing and my first thought is, is this good enough for my fans. You don't need to put that rejection of what is she really like? Or I think she understands me. Stuff that's so pointless.

You did a duet with Julian Casablancas called ?Post Modern Girls and Old Fashioned Men.? Have you recorded with anyone else?

No! He's the only one! First of all, I was a huge, huge fan, like before I got to go on tour with The Strokes, I didn't know them at all. I was broke and I was thinking, How am I going to get to see them, it's going to sell out! I thought maybe Gordon Raphael (Spektor and The Strokes producer) will be able to put me on the guest list and then suddenly I could go to all the shows! When they said about the song, it was like, Okay! Now all you have to do is kill me! We had one rehearsal and the power of standing in front of The Strokes with a mic and they kick in, it's like WHOOSH! Like they're your backing band and you're the chick singer! It was fucking fun. I want to do another duet, because there's something so old world about them. I love musicals and Fred Astaire, it's so fun to listen to Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong sing to each other. It would be really cool to do a record of duets. I know a lot of cool guys with cool voices who are in bands.

You recently turned 26. How do you feel about getting older? Do you hate it?

I was like that when I was a teenager and as a matter of fact this feeling came over me when I was 13, that early on, and it was so hard for me to let go of every year that went by. Then maybe when I was 22, it just got really easy and it's been getting easier, because I think it was a misconception with myself that I didn't understand what it was to be an adult. To me it was like this looming, evil thing, that eats away at your imagination, fantasy and innocence, all the great things that come with being a child. But really once I started figuring out what it is to be an adult it was so wonderful because my life has been more happy and fun in the past few years than it has been in a while. So in that respect I'm excited! Also I think as far as the music industry goes, my record company would love it if I was 18.

Your father was a scientist and photographer amongst other things. Can you imagine yourself leaving music behind to explore something else?

There are a lot of other creative things that I want to do. I love acting and I might do a play. As far as I'm concerned it's all for the taking because it's a way of expressing yourself. But it is really hard for me to imagine not having music in my life. When I don't write songs for a little while they just accumulate and then I go and write, write, write. It's like a bi-product of me. You live and absorb life until you're full to the brim and then it overflows into your bi-product! Sorry for the gross image .. I don?t know why I said that .. but please print it!

"Are your lyrics about other people also a bit of a defence mechanism to keep fans from getting too close to what's really going on in your head?"

Hahahaha

Who was the reporter, do you know?

Apparently, judging from a question like that, the reporter doesn't know how to read (or listen in this case)...I could imagine the look the reporter received from Ms. Spektor when that question came out.

Wow -- finally got to see Regina when she played the Staffordshire festival. It was an incredible gig, must have been 2000 people in the tent... the awesome swells of applause for her, the performance.... there was a lot of love in that tent! Smiler