Sign in to follow this  
Fran

Tori Amos Poll

There's been some questioning over whether Tori has influenced Regina's work...But that's not what this poll is about. Here we are trying to figure out if Tori and Regina belong in the same "genre"...What do you think? You can explain your posts below if you want.

There's been some questioning over whether Tori has influenced Regina's work...But that's not what this poll is about. Here we are trying to figure out if Tori and Regina belong in the same "genre"...What do you think? You can explain your posts below if you want.

Since I instigated this scurmish, I'll explain in detail my position. Hopefully someone in the audience will understand. Wink

Both grew up in a household with strong religious ties.

Both are child prodigies.

Both are classically trained

Both are obscure in their lyrical content.

Both are exxagerative in the delivery of their vocals. (heavy breathing, etc)

This is what attracted me to Tori, as what attracted me to Regina. Hopefully that clarifies some confusion.

I do NOT think that Regina is a carbon of Tori by any stretch of the imagination. Nor do I think that Regina is trying to succeed where Tori has gone or follow in Toris steps.

When I stated earlier that Tori paved the way, it was a stretch on Atlantic records part to even give Tori her own album. When Little Earthquakes came out, they weren't expecting it to do so well. It did, in a huge way. It wasn't really until then, that the industry noted that an obscure, and somewhat incomprehensible artist with bizzare lyrics could actually be marketable.

They were surprised that it was a smash. Had Tori not been there it would have been a LOT harder for many artists in that same category to get where they are now, not just Regina.

Regina is incredibly talented, and that is a feat in and of itself that a major label can recognize a mix of actual talent and marketability when the majority of the current crop of "artists" suck ass. Regina is one of the few musicians out there that actually have a deep talent and understanding of music. Hence why I like her so much.

quote:
Originally posted by submergedcalamity:

plus regina spektor hates that particular comparison.

Hate it as much as she wants. The fact remains, they're in the same genre. This doesn't mean that they're the same. It just means that there are many parallels. Some similarities if you will. Some people are extremely offended at this. It puzzles me as to why. Of all people to be lumped in with, I would think it'd be far more offensive to be compared say to Ashleigh Simpson (sarcasm)

I completely agree with vooduguru.

So I chose the second yes.

I think it's weird that Regina doesn't like to be compared to Tori. That totally confuses me.

It makes sense why "submergedcalamity" would say what they said, because not everyone can handle Tori but the funny thing is Regina is just like that...an aquired taste.

My mom doesn't like Regina, but she LOVES Tori. I don't understand that. I would think if you like one, you'd like the other because people have either a strong LOVE or HATE for Regina and Tori alike.

I happen to ABSOLUTELY LOVE them both. Big Grin

Genre's are labels.

Labels make people comfortable (or alternatively, uncomfortable).

Labels are like religion in the way that they grab unwarranted loyalty, and polarize people to the point of violence. Crusades anyone?

Regina is now on a MAJOR Label. Alternative Pop is her genre according to the biz. Now I will find out What Tori Amos is and state wether or not this insignificant (and wholly inadequate) comparison is correct.

As participants in this great and short-lived human experience we are hard-wired to classify, categorize, and compartmentalize. I suspect truly remarkable talent, as in Ms. Spektor's, is transcendental to this mortal coil - that is, sups from a sweet wellspring deeper than the bitter and troubled waters of Tori Amos. Anger always will draw a crowd that tolerates and/or embraces discord.

Tori Amos is amazing in her gifts and quite pleasurable to the ear if you want to slather yourself in misery, pity, and self-centeredness.

As a comparision with the visual arts she shares the same bed as Tracey Emin and Sarah Lucas - angry not-so-young-anymore women.

It's sane and correct to sing/paint/write/create about hardships and heartache but it is insane and exhausting to dwell on it.

In my humble opinion Ms. Spektor's hard-earned and highly-warrented public praise is a direct reflection of the amount of love in her heart for what she does, who she is, and who we are. Yep, the Beatles had this too.

Perhaps a more applicable comparision to Regina Spektor would be the luminous and visionary talents of Kate Bush - especially the early years.

Ms. Spektor and Ms. Bush have unequivocable made this world a better place to live - they are true audio-humanitarians. PEACE

p.s. The Tucson show (11/06/2006) was dynamite! Does anyone know the name of the very first song Regina played? Ms. Spektor, it was truly an honor to meet you! I have met few people as genuine and happy as you - this spills over onto others - thank you.