Sign in to follow this  
Fran

Tori Amos Poll

quote:
Originally posted by jeolojyjer:

In my humble opinion Ms. Spektor's hard-earned and highly-warrented public praise is a direct reflection of the amount of love in her heart for what she does, who she is, and who we are. Yep, the Beatles had this too.

Perhaps a more applicable comparision to Regina Spektor would be the luminous and visionary talents of Kate Bush - especially the early years.

Ms. Spektor and Ms. Bush have unequivocable made this world a better place to live - they are true audio-humanitarians. PEACE

p.s. The Tucson show (11/06/2006) was dynamite! Does anyone know the name of the very first song Regina played? Ms. Spektor, it was truly an honor to meet you! I have met few people as genuine and happy as you - this spills over onto others - thank you.

...couldn't say it better...

The first song was 'Ain't No Cover' (see the set list here), and can be found on her EP 'Live at Bull Moose'

here. Roll Eyes

A Circle is Round. Smiler

What goes around comes around. Wink

I was there at the start with Kate Bush, when she hit the music scene at 19, Bright as a Button, Fresh as a Daisy, from the first magical strains of "Wuthering Heights" through the first wonderful album "The Kick Inside", on to the one and only tour, where I saw her LIVE twice, the pure magic continued on, the signed photographs, even the letter where she lovingly referred to me as "The Man With The Child In His Eyes". Roll Eyes

KateBush11thOct06001.jpg

KateBush11thOct06002.jpg

Onwards and upwards Kate flew, but the strain took its toll, a crew member fell from a rig and died, her life virtually confined to studios, where attempts at perfection became obsessive and the Star burned out! Frowner

Then along came Tori, Bright as a Button, Fresh as a Daisy, described as the NEW Kate Bush and indeed I took to Tori like a Hippo to the River Nile, bought the albums and saw her live one magical night in Nottingham. Big Grin

Then life took its toll on Tori, repeated references to the traumatic rape, the miscarriages, the strain, she became weirder and more morose, as the years came and went, some of her albums being virtually unlistenable even to ardent fans! Eeker

Then along comes Regina, Bright as a Button, Fresh as a Daisy, the NEW Tori/Kate with original concepts and vibrant music. Wink

Regina's Star is now in the ascendancy, I bought some of her albums, won others, saw her live at Brighton and I try to spread the word about her fine music. I have realised through bitter experience, that just like Kate and Tori, Regina's Music is very much an acquired taste, just as there are many that love it, there are others that cannot see the Magic, Razzer

The common factor with all three lovely ladies is their enthusiasm and creative genius at the outset, but the factor that wears them down eventually, as it does all of us, is the passage of time.

True perfection can never be achieved and eventually their stars fade, but we must enjoy them while we can, support them as much we feel we should and we can always look back in our dotage and say to our grandchildren,

"I saw those lovely lady singer/writers at their peak of creativity and that peak was as high as Mount Everest, way up high in the rarified clouds"! Cool

Concidering I detest labels, comparisons, and polls, I find this is actually one of the more inteligent threads on this forum. I too came to Regina through the recomendation of one of my Tori friends, but I enjoy Regina much more now. While I agree that Tori fans are some of the oddest out there, I love her sound nevertheless. Tori has gone through many changes, good and bad, and her newest album is by far her worst. Her voice and songwriting is starting to sound like someone else's parody of her. I hope she regains some of the anger, passion, and experimention displayed in her earlier work on her next album. She is incredibly talented and surrounds herslf with some of the best musicians in the business.

Odd fact, Regina is now the same age as Tori was when she broke big. Something about being 27.

quote:
Originally posted by LittleVoice:

A Circle is Round. Smiler

What goes around comes around. Wink

I was there at the start with Kate Bush, when she hit the music scene at 19, Bright as a Button, Fresh as a Daisy, from the first magical strains of "Wuthering Heights" through the first wonderful album "The Kick Inside", on to the one and only tour, where I saw her LIVE twice, the pure magic continued on, the signed photographs, even the letter where she lovingly referred to me as "The Man With The Child In His Eyes". Roll Eyes

KateBush11thOct06001.jpg

KateBush11thOct06002.jpg

Onwards and upwards Kate flew, but the strain took its toll, a crew member fell from a rig and died, her life virtually confined to studios, where attempts at perfection became obsessive and the Star burned out! Frowner

Then along came Tori, Bright as a Button, Fresh as a Daisy, described as the NEW Kate Bush and indeed I took to Tori like a Hippo to the River Nile, bought the albums and saw her live one magical night in Nottingham. Big Grin

Then life took its toll on Tori, repeated references to the traumatic rape, the miscarriages, the strain, she became weirder and more morose, as the years came and went, some of her albums being virtually unlistenable even to ardent fans! Eeker

Then along comes Regina, Bright as a Button, Fresh as a Daisy, the NEW Tori/Kate with original concepts and vibrant music. Wink

Regina's Star is now in the ascendancy, I bought some of her albums, won others, saw her live at Brighton and I try to spread the word about her fine music. I have realised through bitter experience, that just like Kate and Tori, Regina's Music is very much an acquired taste, just as there are many that love it, there are others that cannot see the Magic, Razzer

The common factor with all three lovely ladies is their enthusiasm and creative genius at the outset, but the factor that wears them down eventually, as it does all of us, is the passage of time.

True perfection can never be achieved and eventually their stars fade, but we must enjoy them while we can, support them as much we feel we should and we can always look back in our dotage and say to our grandchildren,

"I saw those lovely lady singer/writers at their peak of creativity and that peak was as high as Mount Everest, way up high in the rarified clouds"! Cool

wonderfully said although I'm still hoping that on the next album Tori will come back as the "warrior woman ".

Are you a big Kate collector?

quote:
This doesn't mean that they're the same. It just means that there are many parallels.

That's not the correct meaning of "genre". People aren't in the same musical genre just because "there are many parallels"--there may be many parallels between Bob Dylan and Christina Aguilera (such as that they're both from New York), but they're clearly in different genres.

I can make plenty of interesting comparisons between "Paradise Lost" and "Frankenstein" without arguing that they're members of the same literary genre; musical comparisons work in the same way.

quote:
Some people are extremely offended at this.

No one is offended at the idea that Regina Spektor has some things in common with Tori Amos. (Though they made dispute whether these things are more significant than Regina's oft-ignored similarities with many other artists. Regina herself has not claimed to have nothing in common with Tori, but rather complained that too much focus is put on that one comparison because of more superficial similarities.)

Your mistake is in assuming that "they aren't in the same genre" means "they have absolutely nothing in common"; every artist has things in common with every other artist, yet only a small portion of those similar artists are in the same genre. Genre is not a matter of random, arbitrary facts like what religious background they grew up in, whether they were "child prodigies", or even whether they're classically-trained or play the piano; it is an issue of their musical style, focus, and content. It is perfectly fair for people to object to placing both artists in the same genres if the things they have in common don't amount to (sufficient) generic commonality, for the same reason that someone could fairly object to playing Bob Dylan and Christina Aguilera in the same genre even if some people were attracted to both artists by a certain shared feature of theirs.

quote:
It puzzles me as to why. Of all people to be lumped in with, I would think it'd be far more offensive to be compared say to Ashleigh Simpson (sarcasm)

Have you considered the possibility that people aren't offended because they think Tori Amos is a bad artist, but simply because they think that the comparison is a weak or shallow one? That's the only reason Regina doesn't like the comparison, as far as I know. She doesn't dislike or disrespect Tori, she just thinks it's a largely superficial comparison that has more to do with the singers' backgrounds than with their actual music.

If I said that Tupac and Regina Spektor were in the same genre because they have certain things in common, you wouldn't have to hate either one of those artists to disagree strongly with the comparison. In the same way, you can be a huge fan of both Tori and Regina without saying "oh, they're in the same genre". I won't argue that you should be, but to dispute that it's possible is pretty silly.

quote:
It wasn't really until then, that the industry noted that an obscure, and somewhat incomprehensible artist with bizzare lyrics could actually be marketable.

If sometimes having "bizarre lyrics" is a genre, then are you arguing that The Beatles and Marilyn Manson are in the same genre? Likewise, just because one artist paved the way for another doesn't mean that those artists are in the same genre; by that logic, every black musician in the United States is part of the jazz or blues genre.

quote:
Originally posted by Vooduguru:

Hate it as much as she wants. The fact remains, they're in the same genre.

I agree with you that Regina's opinion, in itself, doesn't change what genre she's in. Regina could claim all she wanted that she was an R&B singer, but it wouldn't make her one.

However, "they're in the same genre" is an opinion, not a fact.

quote:
My mom doesn't like Regina, but she LOVES Tori. I don't understand that. I would think if you like one, you'd like the other

... Why? Regina and Tori are two very different artists. That's absolutely indisputable even if they're in the same genre. You can like one artist in a genre and not like every artist in a genre. Come on, now, "if you like one, you'd like the other"? That's just a silly statement to make. Many people who love Tori will consider Regina too cutesy, or poppy, or mundane, or whatever; and likewise many who like Regina will consider Tori to be too opaque, or bizarre, or whatever. Even if most people who like one will like the other, there are still a huge number who don't.

quote:
Something about being 27.

27 has also been a cursed age for many musicians.

i don't understand why people compare the two. i enjoy both regina and tori's music, but objectively speaking tori's piano playing alone is lightyears more brilliant and complex than regina's. and people are always quick to say that tori's lyrics are dark and depressing and self centered, but if you actually take the time to read her lyrics, only a handful of her songs are actually about herself.

i dont understand why regina hates this comparison so much...i know i might get internet stoned for this but Toris sound doesnt appeal to me.... but you CANNOT say she is bad in any concept.... because she is brilliantly amazing..i like her piano skills much better than her voice...i think that musically tori is on a higher level...but i feel like regina is whole package if there was ever a poster child for it. She..... is TALENTED! BEAUTIFUL...charming, HILARIOUS, uninhibited, has a wonderful life story, and full of life in general.... i absolutley adore regina in everyway there is not one thing she has ever said in interviews on stage or in her songs that has made me give a funny face..... her cookyness is adorable and her lyrics are to die for....and that VOICE! my god her crazy tactics to seduce you with the melody ....ahh...i luv it...anyways...i think regina has more to offer than tori.. but definatly respect tori alot...and i know she does alot of the same things like write and sing in weird ways but i like the ways regina does it better.... plain and simple...

I think the compairson is very apt, considering Tori in her Little Earthquakes/Under the Pink/Boys for Pele days.

Back then she was quirky to the point of obscurity and possessed a lot of sarcasm and irony.

I completely disagree with the person who wrote that she dwells on pity and misery. These weren't really strong elements before From the choir girl hotel when she lost her baby (I think there are 2 or 3 songs on the reocrd about that).

If you take songs like Cornflake girl, Yes, Anastacia, Pretty good year, Past the mission (the children's tv-show-like verse reminds me of Ghost of corporate future), or Bells for her, I think the parallels are undeniable.

That doesn't mean they're alike. It doesn't even mean Regina's influenced directly by Tori. I actually doubt she is, the fact remains that they explored styles that are somewhat similar to each other.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

i dont understand why regina hates this comparison so much...i know i might get internet stoned for this but Toris sound doesnt appeal to me.... but you CANNOT say she is bad in any concept.... because she is brilliantly amazing..i like her piano skills much better than her voice...i think that musically tori is on a higher level...but i feel like regina is whole package if there was ever a poster child for it. She..... is TALENTED! BEAUTIFUL...charming, HILARIOUS, uninhibited, has a wonderful life story, and full of life in general.... i absolutley adore regina in everyway there is not one thing she has ever said in interviews on stage or in her songs that has made me give a funny face..... her cookyness is adorable and her lyrics are to die for....and that VOICE! my god her crazy tactics to seduce you with the melody ....ahh...i luv it...anyways...i think regina has more to offer than tori.. but definatly respect tori alot...and i know she does alot of the same things like write and sing in weird ways but i like the ways regina does it better.... plain and simple...

I kinda agree. Even though I've been a huge fan of Tori Amos, Regina takes the cake any day for me. Her voice is the most amazing voice I've ever heard, even if her musical compositions aren't as 'complex' as Toris. Regina is so serene and honest in her expression, and there's nothing 'staged' about her performance, or at least that's not how she comes off.

This is an interesting controversy, and there have been many intelligent comments made on it in this thread (along with a couple pretty odd ones!). Big Grin

As a person who spent several years as a major Tori Amos fan, I can certainly acknowledge the similarities, which seem to me basically to be that their essential performance identities, both in terms of their communicating to an audience and in terms of something really vital to their creative process, involve themselves alone at a piano. They both do other kinds of music as well, but there is some essential way that the piano is their creative partner (this is true of, say, Imogen Heap as well).

You could say they both have quirky lyrics, but that seems a bit more accidental, or too general. In terms of lyric-writing, I think Regina has a lot more to do with Bjork, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell or Bob Dylan than remotely with Tori. Tori had a kind of feminist/womanist agenda and her music has often been fiercely political, even if the center of the politics has been gender politics.

Regina, by contrast, seems more attuned to humanity in general, the quirky identity and essential dignity of "the little guy" and of taking little everyday situations and lifting them up into something moving or inspiring. As much as I love Tori, her work has always seemed more like it is intensely about her own issues (sometimes amazingly and movingly so), and that whether you like Tori or not is about whether you connect in your own way to Tori's own private demons and/or crusades. It's a relatively dark world, but a rich and complex one, and it's up to the individual to decide whether it's a place they want to visit with her.

Despite how many people are put off by Regina's music in some way (it pains me to discover this so often), I truly believe that Regina's work is more "inclusive" than Tori's, more open, more loving. I'm not saying it's better, but it's just, um....warmer somehow, on a human level. Tori's piano-playing tends to be more complex than Regina's, and certainly Tori's skills in the studio (both in terms of production and in terms of complex creative choices) are, at this point, worlds beyond Regina's.

Yet somehow, when you spend time with Tori's music, you are "going somewhere" Tori wants you to be, and it's about spending time in an intense but circumscribed world. With Regina's music, I sense that her world is more connected with our everyday world, and that it's not a room you go to visit (like Tori's is) but a corridor you walk through, or as though Regina's music is a companion for the best part of what contemporary life is. It celebrates the quirky individual. It is, for the most part, optimistic. The "characters" in her songs, odd or misfit as they might be, are ultimately treated with respect or love by the songwriter.

It doesn't surprise me that she bristles at times at the comparisons to Tori Amos, because (as others here have suggested) it probably seems like it's a pretty superficial comparison. Yes they are beautiful red-haired women behind a piano. Yes, each is a kind of maverick in her own way.

But it seems to me that if their music is an extension of some deep essential character in their nature, then they are people with very different kinds of souls and different assessments of humanity and the world around them.

Reviewers/writers/critics automatically make comparisons because it is a shorthand to getting whoever is reading the article to figure out what kind of first impression to start with. It's inevitable that we all make comparisons, especially when we're trying to explain something new to someone else. It's almost just human nature.

But Regina is pretty clearly her own person, even musically. You can love what she does (as all of us here do) or you can find it too weird or her voice too annoying (as too many people I know feel), but I challenge anyone to sit down and watch an interview with her or listen to her talk at length about something she cares about or even just see how sweetly she treats interviewers who really know nothing about her -- and not conclude that she is an essentially warm, open, compassionate human being.

And her songs reflect that. When they are about other "characters" (as they often are), those characters are people we connect to or feel for, because she has imbued them with some kind of dignity. Even when they are about herself (as with "Rockland County" or even "Fidelity"), we are glimpsing directly a person who, in an overall general way, really loves people.

I've felt for a while that this is the elusive thing that makes her seem so great to me. I mean, you listen to the songs analytically, and you can't say they are the most spectacular in terms of musical content or even in terms of lyrics (although she is a real poet). But what makes them seem so profound, or essential, and so moving, is that they embody a very deep love and appreciation for other human beings and an underlying belief in people. This is that hidden ingredient that makes her work so luminous.

So for me that's what really makes the comparisons so apples-and-oranges-ish. Tori's music is much more complex musically, perhaps more challenging intellectually, more ambitious as pure music. But Regina brings to the table a sense of joy, of optimism, of fascination with the wonderment of being human that is uniquely her own, and a huge part of what is going to make her work last, I think. It's also why when you actually see her perform and hear her talk, you are hooked.

I suppose she shouldn't resent comparisons to Tori or to Bjork, because both are unique in their own way, and perhaps the best way to evaluate these comparisons is that because Regina is SO difficult to categorize, critics or writers reach for another person who really defied categorization. So it's probably a compliment to Regina that comparisons are made between her work and the work of other women whose work evades comparison.

Anyway, that's my 102 cents! Eeker