Sign in to follow this  
Fran

Tori Amos Poll

I know I might be spanked by some of my peeps on the board for continuing to post in this thread (but I feel so compelled because I'm such a big fan of Tori's AND Regina's).

But I just have to say...this is one thing about Regina I just don't understand. I mean, I get where she's coming from...and I understand the Aquarius mindset (the wanting to be unique and special and the REBELLIOUS attitude). I get that...

But there is NO HARM in being compared to another musician - even if you're not that similar to them. ESPECIALLY when they are competent musicians you are being compared to.

People say that I sound like other female artists ALL the time and even if I don't agree that I sound like them or even if I don't particularly like their music that much...I smile and say, "Thank You" - because it is usually a compliment and it's a great honor to be compared to someone who has a respectable career and that must mean that I have the potential to be great...

I don't know. I just think it's super silly that Regina is ALWAYS trying to set herself apart. NO ONE is completely unique. Everyone borrows sound from everyone. (EVEN INDIRECTLY)

It's a beautiful thing really, that us musicians take pieces from other artists and mix it in with our own sound to make something cool and exciting.

Someone told me once that I sounded like Regina! HAHAH, I really don't think I do (you can hear her influences in my music, obviously)

But when someone told me that I burst out into laughter and thanked them...

If ONLY I sounded like her - hehe.

quote:
Originally posted by PilingAndTwisting:

I know I might be spanked by some of my peeps on the board for continuing to post in this thread (but I feel so compelled because I'm such a big fan of Tori's AND Regina's).

But I just have to say...this is one thing about Regina I just don't understand. I mean, I get where she's coming from...and I understand the Aquarius mindset (the wanting to be unique and special and the REBELLIOUS attitude). I get that...

But there is NO HARM in being compared to another musician - even if you're not that similar to them. ESPECIALLY when they are competent musicians you are being compared to.

People say that I sound like other female artists ALL the time and even if I don't agree that I sound like them or even if I don't particularly like their music that much...I smile and say, "Thank You" - because it is usually a compliment and it's a great honor to be compared to someone who has a respectable career and that must mean that I have the potential to be great...

I don't know. I just think it's super silly that Regina is ALWAYS trying to set herself apart. NO ONE is completely unique. Everyone borrows sound from everyone. (EVEN INDIRECTLY)

It's a beautiful thing really, that us musicians take pieces from other artists and mix it in with our own sound to make something cool and exciting.

Someone told me once that I sounded like Regina! HAHAH, I really don't think I do (you can hear her influences in my music, obviously)

But when someone told me that I burst out into laughter and thanked them...

If ONLY I sounded like her - hehe.

One of the most gracious and intelligent things said on this forum. I wish some of your peeps would share your sentiments - and your eloquence.

There is a difference between being unique and independent and a musical snob.

Alex

P.S. My Nadir is in Aquarius (that's the "root" of one's chart), so maybe, like Regina, I like being the "outsider" and so that's why I've stuck around this board. hehe.

The only reason I've ever heard the name "Tori Amos" is because people apperantly like to compare Regina to her. I just listened to her some of her music on YouTube, and honestly, I don't see any correlation what so ever. From what I listened to, her music is very sad and dark sounding. Except for the official Cornflake Girl music video, which was kind of confusing, she looked like she was going to cry while performing almost every song.

I don't mean to offend any Tori fans. I know I probably just don't "get" her. But her lyrics seem... I don't know. Almost like she was trying to hard to be cryptic. The melody was really hard to find on some songs. Like everyone has indicated, her music is an aquired taste. It took me a while to "get" Regina, too. But I think both women are just to immensely, vastly, incredibly different.

I don't think all of Tori's music is that sad. But her lyrics tend to be very strange and cryptic. I think most of the time she doesn't even really know what she's talking about. But she's also composed some unbelievably beautiful music.

Examples: Winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IsiAfjhck

Crucify:

(the lyrics of this song have always been a bit melodramatic for me but her piano playing/vocal performance is fantastic)

Marianne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJKvJAmAa_k

I love both Regina and Tori but I HATE when they're compared. It's a shallow comparison. And the funny thing is Tori experienced the exact same thing when she first came out. She was endlessly compared to Kate Bush just because they're "quirky" female piano-based singer-songwriters.

See: