Sign in to follow this  
Itzdavey

I thought the thread was "first regina song you listened to"

But of course it was "first song you HAVE people listen to from regina."

and so I typed up this whole thing in answer to the question and realized that wasn't the question. So, I realize I'm being totally self centered, but here is my answer to the question that wasn't there.

The first time I heard Regina... I'll never forget.

I was at work. I was listening to NPR's show "The Next Big thing," which isn't really a great show. It's now been cancelled. But I was listening anyway, and they always have a musical guest.

It was Regina Spektor and they were talking to her in a Piano store. She didn't have a piano in her apartment apparently.

So she started playing and singing, and I'm not sure which song was first but it doesn't matter. It was Regina.

I don't like most new music. I mostly listen to Classical and jazz and older folk music.

But I remember being completely struck dumb and tears coming to my eyes and my hair standing on end when I heard her piano and then heard her voice. And she also made me laugh at the same time. I remember being struck with a terrible sense of urgency. I needed to find out everything about her, I needed to get her music, I needed to be a fan.

I was so broke at the time I couldn't afford to buy any of her music. Sometimes I would listen to the clips on her website. I could probably downloaded her stuff somewhere not-legally but it just wasn't right to do that to her. I joined her mailing list but when I got the mailings I still felt left out becuase I didn't own her music. It was like a big party I wasn't invited too yet.

I wandered into Borders, where you can look up music and listen to clips. I put on the head phones and remember standing there listening and being totally caught up again and transported and laughing a little after "everyone who sees him says 'eew'".

I looked over at someone else in the store that was looking at music, and realized I couldn't see her so well because tears were in my eyes again.

I fantasized the girl would say "What's wrong?" and I'd say "I can't afford to buy any music right now," and she'd see that I was crying and feel sorry for me and buy me a regina CD.

I took off the headphones and walked very quickly out of the store and went home.

But work gave us a $25 gift certificate awhile ago. I have soviet Kitsch now and I don't have to be sad anymore. Smiler

BTW, I can't even find some of the songs she played on that radio show. One of them was called "The genius next door." I think she had written it the night before. I remember how beautiful the piano was. Oh, and the other song was Fidelity, but much slower and..well.piano . I like that version better but I can't find it.

Hopefully I will be able to buy "Begin to Hope" soon and might even be able to go see her in Philly. (My financial picture is a little better lately).

-DaveK

Here's the first time that I ever hear Regina:

I first heard 'Us' in a movie theater in 2004, you know how they play songs before the previews and everthing...the music and her voice were unlike anything that I'd ever heard before, and I just sat there paralyzed by the song...I missed the name of the artist,but I figured that they would play it again; they didn't Frowner So I never knew the name of the song or the artist, and seriously for two years I never heard it again, but I would always think about it because it's such an amazing song. Anyway, two years later I see her perform 'Fidelity' on Conan O' Brien, and I'm like "OMG this sounds like the same woman who sings that song that I heard in the movies!". I just freaked out and went on the internet, and the first thing I came across was her myspace page. I listened to all of the songs (all of which are great), and when I heard 'Us' I was so overwhelmed with emotion. Now I'm thrilled that I finally found this "mystery artist" and all of Regina's songs are amazing! In two weeks I managed to get 71 of Regina's songs on my ipod (just making up for lost time : ), I want to buy Soviet Kitsch on vinyl but I can't seem to find it anywhere...oh, and if anyone knows any sites that sell t-shirts or posters please let me know! Thanks!...Regina is soooo amazing! Smiler

I think I know the feeling you got when you heard it. Just this amazed, entranced, compulsive feeling that makes you feel like it's the most important thing the world to find out "Who is that?"

Smiler

I feel like an interloper of sorts. I heard the song "Fidelity" on MTV-U during breakfast one morning. I remember thinking that Regina had the most compelling voice I'd ever heard. I quickly youtubed her and listened to everything I could. I absolutely love oedipus and my only regret is not finding her sooner. I've since bought "Begin to Hope" and am going to order "Soviet Kitsch" once I get some money.

First time I heard was when she was on Conan spring last year, so that'd be Somedays. And the about a month later I was sent Poor Little Rich Boy, listened to that for a day and a half before I, uh, got, the rest of the album. Which I then replaced with the CD for Christmas.

since then she's been 90% of my played music, and i listen to alot of music...

The first song I heard was "Ode to Divorce", and I was pretty much instantly hooked, especially by the later part of the song. I heard it on pandora.com, the best song-recommendation site I've been able to find online, because I listened to a lot of artists with similar elements to Regina. (I also had "The Tiny" recommended to me at around the same time.) Then I hunted down the rest of her songs (still in the process of searching for some of her unreleased ones, like Mockingbird), and saw her live in Bloomington, and now I'm pretty much in full swing of the obsession. Good times, good times.

we are allowed to bring in mixed CD's in art class.

one day, my very musically expanded friend brought in a cd with Ne Me Quitte Pas on it and i really liked how happy and upbeat it was.

another cd from a different friend had fidelity on it, but everyone knew that song Razzer