Sign in to follow this  
Stepped On A Syringe

WHOA! SAMSON??

It is quite usual that the first version of a song you get to know, will become your definitive and favourite version of that song.

I have a friend who only knows Bob Dylan songs because some young American band did a cover version. When I play her the originals she immediately turns her nose up and goes on about how he can write songs, just not perform them!

I know!

Anyway my point is that I got into Regina's music relatively recently and therefore heard the new BTH version only a few months after hearing the original version. In my opinion the newer recording is definately superior and I totally understand why she wanted to re-do the 'demo' version.

Also I would like to point out that had I owned a copy of songs for as long as some of you guys I would be like: 'What the fuck is with this pollished bullshit? Why would Dylan re-record Highway 61?'

Ps the friend in question, after me dragging her to the Brighton Regina show, responded:

'She just reminds me of Tori'

I know!

quote:
Originally posted by WorldLeaderPretend:

she immediately turns her nose up and goes on about how he (Bob Dylan) can write songs, just not perform them!

I know!

quote:
Originally posted by WorldLeaderPretend:

after me dragging her to the Brighton Regina show, responded:

'She just reminds me of Tori'

I know!

Haha. Your I KNOWs are hilarious! Probably 'cause I was perfectly in sync with them. Love it.

quote:
Originally posted by jweprich:

still, this post isnt about the new and old samson. its about the new one(take one) and the other new one (take two)

Yo sorry Jweprich. I guess I should've quoted submergedcalamity and/or a_secret_chord 'cos I was responding to them. And also continuing the Brumstix tradition of threadjacking innit.

Hey JohnnyC I was hoping someone would getme. Did you realise my choosing of the Bob song as a comparison was very careful. Ok so I called 'Highway 61 revisited' by the wrong name.

I know!

Hey it was getting late.

But still my observation was spot on I think: Bob Dylan comes along when, lyrically, pop songs were really un-inventive. As far as I can see, before Dylan, no-one had thought of taking stories from the old Testament, adding their own spin on them, and putting them into a lyric.

Fast forward a few decades and we have samson (which incidentally is far more beautiful than Dylans song) and for that we should all be really grateful to the little man.

Regina kicks ass but she's standing on the shoulders of giants.

And whilst we're on the subject (sorry again Jweprich!)

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Regina is the greatest lyricist since Bob. A bold statement I know but everyone else just sounds so boring...

'God said to Abraham "Kill me a son"

Abe said "Man you must be putting me on?"

God said "No!"

Abe said "What?"

God said "You can do what, Abe, but the next time you see me comin' you'd better run"

Abe said "Where you want this killin done?"

God said "Out on Highway 61"

I just love the way Abraham calls God 'Man'

Peace out.

I am not sure about the chronology of Dylan's use of stories from the Bible, but the giant of a man below, looking to see Dylan on the distant horizon, penned "The Story Of Isaac" way back in 1969. Eeker

LeonardCohen.gif

When it all comes down to dust

I will help you if I must

I will kill you if I can

And mercy on our uniforms

Man of Peace or Man of War

The Peacock spreads his Fan

When Regina sits on Leonard's shoulders she stands so very tall, "Hallelujah". Roll Eyes