Sign in to follow this  
Stepped On A Syringe

WHOA! SAMSON??

quote:
Originally posted by WorldLeaderPretend:

quote:
Originally posted by LittleVoice:

I am not sure about the chronology of Dylan's use of stories from the Bible

My example was from August 1965, and right now I can't be bothered to search through his five album releases which preceded Highway61 for any others.

Your example, however interesting and relevent to Reginas work, was from two years after the release of Dylans first Greatest Hits record.

I would say that Leonard is a great example of the kind of artists who followed Dylans lead in bringing a wealth of poetic lyrics to pop music.

And thank God they did.

Just look at the difference between the Beatles work pre-Rubber Soul, and then the change once they had become Dylanised...

gates of eden was from bringing it all back home, dylan's previous album.

quote:
Originally posted by a_secret_chord:

dylan is a great lyricist as is leonard cohen... leonard cohen is my personal favourite... but altho i cant prove wether cohen took inspiration from dylan or not, i would not call him a follower in anyway... despite time.

for me leonards lyrics are written very different and seem to take a different literative inspiration, for me its a classic case of 'you cant compare two different genres'... like u cant compare metallica to the beatles, or u cant compare 2001:a space odyssey to the big lebowski

they seem too far apart for comparison to me, both great in their own ways.

i agree they're very different, and sometimes i feel like cohen is an even stronger lyricist, as he commands words with such force, but by the time cohen came out with this first album ('67), dylan had changed music, literally. maybe cohen's not a 'follower', but i seriously wonder if cohen would have even considered a career in music were it not for dylan.

and regarding the newly discovered version of samson, i prefer it to the begin to hope version, but i still feel like she's lost that special something i've only heard in the original version; she says frequently in her interviews that she sees herself akin to a novelist, telling story about made up characters, and in these studio outtakes and every live version i've heard, she sounds like she's telling a story about made up characters, but the original has a candor, an earnestness and intimacy in the performance, i almost feel like i'm reading someone's diary or seeing them naked. it sounds like a confession. all of these magical qualities are lost in her recent readings of the song, and so take my place among the rest of the loyal choir, singing "sell out!"

haha.

quote:
Originally posted by progjunky:

[i would not call him a follower in anyway... despite time.

...dylan had changed music, literally. maybe cohen's not a 'follower', but i seriously wonder if cohen would have even considered a career in music were it not for dylan.

I'd like to point out that when I said 'follower' i meant chronologically.

I think it was Bruce Springsteen who inducted Dylan into the rock and roll hall of fame. And you'll have to excuse my translation, I was drunk when I scribbled this down, (hence why I'm not sure it was him). Anyway his words were something like:

'Bob freed the mind the way Elvis freed the body. He showed us that although the music was inately physical did not mean that it was anti-intellectual. He had the vision and the talent to make a pop song that contained the whole world. He inventeda new way a pop singer could sound, broke through the limitations of what a pop singer could achieve, and changed the face of rock and roll forever.'