Sign in to follow this  
Stepped On A Syringe

WHOA! SAMSON??

I believe that you are right and that makes three versions of "Samson" that I can enjoy now! Roll Eyes

On the CD the string section is more pronounced, whereas I could barely hear it, if at all, on the "Begin To Hope" cassette on the Regina music section. Cool

Is it possible that we are only hearing one of the two channels on the website?? When I play with the balance, while listening to the CD version, if I go all the way to one side I definitely decrease the strings, if I go all the way to the other side the strings are very pronounced

no! you are all wrong!

i mean - if you are right about the 3rd samson, there is a 4th - MY REMIX!!!!!!! ;-)

honestly, i know this is shameless self-promotion and i've already been hounding people to listen to it on this site already. but you can find my remix on www.myspace.com/abandondrugs1

and let me know what you think right here

steve

regina was adorable and magical in chelsmsford at v.

quote:
Originally posted by abandondrugs:

no! you are all wrong!

i mean - if you are right about the 3rd samson, there is a 4th - MY REMIX!!!!!!! ;-)

honestly, i know this is shameless self-promotion and i've already been hounding people to listen to it on this site already. but you can find my remix on www.myspace.com/abandondrugs1

and let me know what you think right here

steve

regina was adorable and magical in chelsmsford at v.

Well done that was a really weird and wonderful re-mix of my favourite Regina song "Samson". Cool

Don't give up the day job just yet though! Wink

it is different, and i read an interview somewhere saying she re-recorded it many, many times.

Aha, found it ( here)

quote:
The new version of "Samson" [on Begin To Hope] was really hard. I wanted to do a new version because I hadn't realized how slow the one on Songs was. All of the songs on Songs were one take each, almost for archiving purposes. I had like 28 of those, and then I narrowed it down to 12 and slapped on a cover and put it out as Songs. And then I never listened to it again. But "Samson," which is the first track on Songs—a lot of people really cared for it. They were requesting it at shows, and I loved playing it, but I didn't have it on a record that was going to get promoted by a record label. I self-released Songs, so it's not in stores or anything like that. But I went back and listened to it again, and it was so horrible. I couldn't believe that people listened to it and liked it. It was driving me crazy that it existed, and I wanted to obliterate it and replace it.

So we were recording, and I recorded like, I swear, I don't know, 70 versions. And none of them were exactly right. But there was this one that everybody at the record label loved, and David loved. And then two weeks after we mastered the record, I called up David at midnight and was like, "I know you're going to hate me, but we need to re-record 'Samson.' It's the wrong version, I just can't live with it." And then I called my label and told them the same thing. And they were like, "This is like that movie The Conversation. You're going to systematically destroy your whole record." Because I have that potential. When I was watching that movie, it hit close to home. I've done that kind of stuff in records, where you start going back and you want to just redo everything, destroy everything, because you think it all sucks and you can do it better.

I bet it is one of the earlier recordings, i wonder if she (or whoever uploaded it) are aware which version it is... it could be a mix up.