Sign in to follow this  
silvervoice

Apres Moi Russian Lyrics?

I've been trying to figure out the Russian (I'm assuming it's Russian--don't know for certain) lyrics in Apres Moi, and I'm not getting anywhere. From an online translator, all I got was something about black ink, a poster and something burning. Please help if you can. I really want to know what Regina was trying to get across to her dear listeners. Smiler

It's from a poem by Boris Pasternak - the same dude who wrote Doctor Zhivago.

Fevrale dostat chernil i plakat,

Pisat O Fevrale navsnryd,

Poka grohochushaya slyakot

Vesnoyu charnoyu gorit.

Here's the rough English translation:

February. Get ink, shed tears.

Write of it, sob your heart out, sing,

While torrential slush that roars

Burns in the blackness of the spring.

You can look it up on http://www.songmeanings.net

THAT translation is not too bad (very nice!).

I made a very futile attempt to translate Boris Leonidovich earlier this summer, and obtained something that read like the following lines:

February, take out the inks and weep,

Write about February on my moans,

But right now, thundering sleet,

In the black Spring it burns...

Now unfortunately I did not continue, though I should. The other verses are VERY good.

The man was a genius, no doubt about it. His version of the Shakespeare sonnets are amazing, as is his other translations. I think they are better than Marshak's...much better, ex. replacing the word 'love' with 'friend' at the end of a sonnet (cannot remember the number).

Anyway, this translation business...is an art.

Well, I know I'm a tad bit late on this reply but when I saw it first I didn't want to go through this mess with the whole blahdeedah sign up thing... anywho,

Apres moi le deluge... is commonly referring to the reign of King Louis XIV. It means 'After me comes the flood of chaos and destruction'. So the entire song is more than likely about Louis. But that accounts for the random French sentence amongst the russian. Good translation by the way. I only speak some russian so I wouldn't have been able to do it all.

quote:
Originally posted by Volodya:

THAT translation is not too bad (very nice!).

I made a very futile attempt to translate Boris Leonidovich earlier this summer, and obtained something that read like the following lines:

February, take out the inks and weep,

Write about February on my moans,

But right now, thundering sleet,

In the black Spring it burns...

Now unfortunately I did not continue, though I should. The other verses are VERY good.

The man was a genius, no doubt about it. His version of the Shakespeare sonnets are amazing, as is his other translations. I think they are better than Marshak's...much better, ex. replacing the word 'love' with 'friend' at the end of a sonnet (cannot remember the number).

Anyway, this translation business...is an art.

Hehe, it's like that movie Осенний марафон Smiler

I got a slightly different translation that I thought I would post for sh*ts and giggles. Keep in mind that this isn't written in modern day russian (which makes it somewhat difficult to translate).

February. Take out ink and cry!

To write about February in (hysterical) tears,

While the thundering slush

Burns black in the springtime.