Sign in to follow this  
ReginaComeToLouisville

Regina Spektor - Really inspiring music!

It was a rare occasion when one day a few weeks ago I decided to turn on the TV. I can't say that I'm much of a television watcher, but since I just got a new set I figured that I might as well turn the thing on and get some use out of it. So, I started to flip through the channels, all hundred or so of them, and of course there was absolutely nothing on worth watching. That is until I flipped to channel 47, or VH1 as it's better known. All of the sudden this song called Fidelity came on, which immediately caught my attention. The music video was unique in itself, and a nice change from the video's I used to watch on BET, but it was the voice that really captured me.

Let me just start out by saying that I used to be an avid rap and hip-hop fan, but lately I've steered clear of most of the genre due to its lack of feeling, message, and the fact that it exploits nearly all of those involved. Also, I feel that my spirituality is threatened by most of the messages that that particular genre forces upon the listener these days, but that's a whole another story in itself. Smiler But back to this song called Fidelity, and more importantly back to the artist singing this song, Regina Spektor.

So I downloaded Fidelity on Yahoo Music, and I played it for a while, and then I figured why not check out her whole album. Needless to say I came away thoroughly impressed. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on Regina's website either. I was REALLY impressed, like “inspired” impressed. Wow. Words really can't portray how riveting this woman's voice is, how fun her songs are to listen to, and how beautiful the whole composition is when it's all put together. I quickly bought her other material that was available on Yahoo Music.

My favorite song is a song simply entitled "Us" -- and, if I'm not mistaken, that song is taken from her earlier works, pre-Begin To Hope. Ironically, I was beginning to lose hope for music as a whole, that is until I inadvertently stumbled on Regina's soothing voice. But back to that song called "Us" -- WOW. That song is just pure bliss. It's like a mini opera at your disposal. It is one of the most beautiful songs my ears have ever heard… it’s simply, in a word, mesmerizing. And remember ladies and gentlemen, this is the same guy that was dancing to Lil' John in the clubs a year ago.

So, in closing, thank you for such great music. I can't say I agree with the content of all of your songs, but for the most part, your music is a pleasure to listen to and enjoy. It's like a refreshing glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. As cool as starched cotton slacks in a house with no heat. Keep the songs coming, and most of all, keep it original.

Regina, come to Louisville, and play a show. It would be great to be able to hear "Us", "Better", "Carbon Monoxide", "Buildings", and "Samson" in person! I don’t want a dollar, but can a brother get a show? Hah!

It was a rare occasion when one day a few weeks ago I decided to turn on the TV. I can't say that I'm much of a television watcher, but since I just got a new set I figured that I might as well turn the thing on and get some use out of it. So, I started to flip through the channels, all hundred or so of them, and of course there was absolutely nothing on worth watching. That is until I flipped to channel 47, or VH1 as it's better known. All of the sudden this song called Fidelity came on, which immediately caught my attention. The music video was unique in itself, and a nice change from the video's I used to watch on BET, but it was the voice that really captured me.

Let me just start out by saying that I used to be an avid rap and hip-hop fan, but lately I've steered clear of most of the genre due to its lack of feeling, message, and the fact that it exploits nearly all of those involved. Also, I feel that my spirituality is threatened by most of the messages that that particular genre forces upon the listener these days, but that's a whole another story in itself. Smiler But back to this song called Fidelity, and more importantly back to the artist singing this song, Regina Spektor.

So I downloaded Fidelity on Yahoo Music, and I played it for a while, and then I figured why not check out her whole album. Needless to say I came away thoroughly impressed. And I'm not just saying that because I'm on Regina's website either. I was REALLY impressed, like “inspired” impressed. Wow. Words really can't portray how riveting this woman's voice is, how fun her songs are to listen to, and how beautiful the whole composition is when it's all put together. I quickly bought her other material that was available on Yahoo Music.

My favorite song is a song simply entitled "Us" -- and, if I'm not mistaken, that song is taken from her earlier works, pre-Begin To Hope. Ironically, I was beginning to lose hope for music as a whole, that is until I inadvertently stumbled on Regina's soothing voice. But back to that song called "Us" -- WOW. That song is just pure bliss. It's like a mini opera at your disposal. It is one of the most beautiful songs my ears have ever heard… it’s simply, in a word, mesmerizing. And remember ladies and gentlemen, this is the same guy that was dancing to Lil' John in the clubs a year ago.

So, in closing, thank you for such great music. I can't say I agree with the content of all of your songs, but for the most part, your music is a pleasure to listen to and enjoy. It's like a refreshing glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. As cool as starched cotton slacks in a house with no heat. Keep the songs coming, and most of all, keep it original.

Regina, come to Louisville, and play a show. It would be great to be able to hear "Us", "Better", "Carbon Monoxide", "Buildings", and "Samson" in person! I don’t want a dollar, but can a brother get a show? Hah!

Yeah. We like Regina here. :P

I'm pretty sure "Us" is everyone's favourite song at one point. And I love the other songs you mentioned. Well... actually I just love Regina. Big Grin

I ALMOST got to see a show a while back. Curse the Mod Club for being 18+!! CURSES!

Anywho. I'm unfortunately not a proud owner of a regina album that isn't a pirated CD borrowed from Jen... but it's not without trying! Honestly! I went to CD plus (the only CD store currently open in my town because the other, better and cheaper one closed) And they didn't have ANY Regina. Not in Jazz, or pop/rock, or alternative, or classic, or... I can't remember all the names of sections but the point is that it wasn't there. JC! CURSE YOU AND YOUR NOT-LIVING-IN/NEAR-WELLAND-ANYMORE-NESS! Why do you get to be in Toronto, where they actually sell MUSIC?

Anywho. Welcome to the stikz. I haven't been here in a whileBut I've listened to Begin to Hope ALOT in the last little while...

Us was the first song I heard on a little clip they did about her on MTV in 2003. did anyone see it? they went to Central Park and she dug up a dollar she had burried like 2 years ago? they played us and i kind of sang it in my head for like a week. like Louisville, I had given up on music, and didnt care about it. then i kind of went crazy. i searched high and low for this girl, realizing i didnt know her name. i liked the strokes at the time, and remembered MTV saying she had beed discovered by their manager and played for them. so i searched the internet for a very long time, finally looking under "The Strokes, Moscow" which were the only two nuggets of information i knew about her. two days later I had an 18 track burnt album with pieces from all 3 previous albums sans BtH. Two years later I've got 60 tracks, 4 CD's, and about 15 songs worth of sheet music stored in the ol' brain. she brought me back into this world (not the world of music, i mean the world in general.) i hate that i owe such a huge amount of happiness to MTV.

quote:
Originally posted by minicoopertrooper:

Us was the first song I heard on a little clip they did about her on MTV in 2003. did anyone see it? they went to Central Park and she dug up a dollar she had burried like 2 years ago?

I can't believe you brought this up. Just today I was trying to remember where I had seen that exact piece you described as that was the first time I saw/heard her as well.