Sign in to follow this  
Jasimo

Singing along at shows pro/con

To Piling, who posted before this, do you carry books to concerts? If so, that is definitely a great reason to do so. I may just bring a book. A small but dense book to fling at the self absorbed fan that has come to listen to him or herself sing. And then to retrieve and fling at the next one. It's great that you love to sing Regina songs in the shower or while driving in your car. I do the same damn thing. It's not that unique that you have this very personal, uncontrollable urge..oh but it's different for you..you get it more than the rest of us, and you just have to join in.

Have you guys been to a Regina show where she asks people to be quiet? Starts a song over because people are being too loud? Yes, SINGING along too loud. Pay attention to her and you may realize that she doesn't like it as much as you think.

I think singalongs kick ass when they are intended as singalongs (Sailor Song, Uh-Merica). Otherwise we're kind of stepping on the artist's toes, I think.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:
Originally posted by PilingAndTwisting:

very, very well said Kailee...

I have to think about which semi-heavy book I'm gonna bring to the show with me on thursday Wink

War & Peace

yes, Kailee, quite well said. and andreseng,

i like the way you think!

i think that singin along sometimes also ruins

or drowns out any spontaneous deviance in the

melody or lyrics that Regina may feel like

throwing into the songs. i personally LOVE when

artists don't do their songs exactly like they

do on the CD. change some words, tweak the wailing etc.

also, if you can't wail (i call it this in lack

of better word, but you know what i mean right?

for example like in "but if he loves me then why

does he leave"<- turns into long "wailing" part)

exactly like Regina, or *at all*... please please don't try Wink

i think that regina may actually like the singing along at times...she encouraged the audience to sing along with ghost of corporate future...i think she enjoys it to an extent...but i find it obnoxious...these two girls next to me were having a great time, and even though i thought 'enough already' i can understand, and i still enjoyed the concert, and i know they had fun singing along...so why not you know?

I think part of this, for me, is that I am (gasp) getting too old, somehow, to be in the thick of it at concerts. I could hardly see, anyway, since I'm short, and the dirty looks I gave the girls who loudly botched the words to Fidelity didn't really seem to do do anything. I think that from now on, I will stay back somewhere where I can have a good, unobstructed view and listen to the sounds. I have had amazing amazing close up experiences seeing Regina. She's just getting too damn famous for me to comfortably have that experience again. But that is ok! I had that experience, now I just want to go to listen.

The singing along was not too too bad. One thing I noticed, though, was that everyone seemed to think that because she asked us to sing along on 'ghost of corporate future,' that meant we were supposed to sing along on every song following. And I knew that they'd do it to Samson! Reminds me of a Radiohead show where some girl was bleating Pyramid Song in our ears. Yikes.

I am perhaps getting old and snobby. Regina is amazing. Sadly, I didn't get to meet her because I had to rush home and sleep for 3 hours before getting on a plane. Ahh! Perhaps next time! But I finally got a tee shirt and I cannot wait to show it off.

quote:
Originally posted by kailee:

I think part of this, for me, is that I am (gasp) getting too old, somehow, to be in the thick of it at concerts........

kailee, you do not seem to be 'old' but rather, 'considerate'.....

on the singing along with 'ghost of corporate future' --- apparently that was requested by regina.

good. fine. there is a time, and she gives the time. otherwise, the subtleties of regina's live performances are worth listening to, i do think. also, i would care if i thought i were disturbing the

person next to me. why don't the people who cannot restrain themselves text message the lyrics

along with regina? after all, a compulsion is a compulsion.