Sign in to follow this  
BlueyUK

Spreading Regina

We are the true regina fans we are the ones that have almost every single song she has ever done i have about 110 of her songs on my ipod. I heard of her about 2 years ago. but a lot of people just know of begin to hope and some know about soviet kitch but they have no idea of the other stuff she has done. My sister says she loves regina but SHE HATES BRAILLE or any other slow song that she did! that really made me mad and now she only has about 15 regina songs on her ipod and she plays them over and over again it gets kind of annoying. and i hate it when people say oh i love regina spektor that song fidelity is really good it makes me so mad.

I agree completely. I have 232 of Regina's songs on my iTunes, some of which are obviously repeats from all of the different concerts I have downloaded.

But that just goes to show what kind of a fan I am, in my opinion anyway.

I heard "Fidelity" upon walking into an American Eagle store a few weeks ago and actually began to cry. At once I was very pleased that she's being received so well by a larger group of people, but at the same time, I was the one who was listening to her when 11:11 was released, who drove eight hours to see her not even a year ago at probably one of her last venues without a band, and I'm the one who does not want her music to go unappreciated.

I honestly don't know what to think, but if Johnny was so disappointed when he went to see her, I don't know if I'll go again. Of course I will continue buying her records, watching her on late night talk shows, and even if she goes mainstream, I will keep listening, although it will be her old and unreleased music that will be coming from my speakers.

People, people, people. You guys are taking this WAY too seriously. Regina is a recording artist, although she is very independant, don't think for a minute that she doesn't want her music to touch as many people as posible. While I agree, her newer sound is a little more mainstream, she remains as original as ever. She is still one of the most unique singer/songwriters I've ever had the pleasure to hear and see perform live. I don't think we ever have to worry about her selling out a stadium tour, her music just doesn't translate well to that type of scene. I just saw her in Dallas last week, playing to a VERY excited crowd of over 700, and they knew the words to almost EVERY song! I now know how some people must feel in church, surrounded by loving souls, captivated by the precence of the devine.

I must not get out much, with the exception of hearing her on Grey's anatomy and CSI, I haven't heard her ANYWHERE!

Man oh man, I'm loving this, for a month or two now I've been getting comments from friends every two weeks or so saying they've turned into Regina converts because of my promotion of her, is there a better feeling then when you're friends fall in love with your favorite artist and then thank you for it?

So...this is my first post at these boards.

I've been listening to Regina for about 10-12 months, and was obviously not part of any underground club or puritanical movement.

[rant]But I think it's pretty selfish to talk about how some of you wish her music doesn't become mainstream, because then she doesn't 'belong' to the true fans anymore; the privileged few, but rather the raging masses. And we all know what stinkers they are!

When I listen to Regina's songs every essence of my being wants other people to experience what I am experiencing, to be struck by this kind of amazing music is rare, and you know what, it shouldn't be. There are no undeserving listeners, who "don't even know her quirky catalogue". Everyone doesn't HAVE TO like everything she has ever done, but if one person likes one or two of her songs then that's great!

Fandom of Regina is supposed to be about her music, not how other people perceive her or you for liking her. You don't get a badge for being a fan when she was underground. If you were, then good for you! That means you've been able to enjoy this incredible songstress for a longer time than me.

This is really turning into a rant, and it's not very polite of me seeing this is my debut, but I can't help myself. [/rant]

I've turned several of my friends unto her music, and every time I play her at a party people turn and ask "Who's that?". Especially when I play Consequence of Sounds. She deserves the attention, and I doubt she'll turn into a glutton for fame any time soon, so by all means, Regina, take the mainstream by its throat. The day I get to listen to Chemo Limo at Target, instead of Nelly Furtado or Charmillionaire, that is definitely a joyous day!

Monday I had lunch with a field rep for one of our equipment suppliers. He's a bit older than me, read old, and noticed my Bob Dylan t-shirt, which got us on the subject of music. Long story, but he made the comment that the best music had already been made, and that most new music stinks. While I agree about most of the crap on the radio, I told him that you just have to work for it a little, that there is tons of good stuff, especially on the net. He told me about his daughter, who is 18 and mainly listens to classical, which she plays in school. I had a copy of BTH at my desk which I gave to him to listen to and then give to his daughter. I haven't heard back from him yet, but he sounded interested when I told him about meeting Regina in Dallas last month. She might have just gained 2 more fans!

i can totally understand the 'keeping her to yourself' feeling and not wanting her to go too mainstream and getting tagged along the lines of the people who like her because they like the sound of the music and not really the meaning and subtleties that make the music what it really is - a lot of folk listen to artists in vain..

but on the other hand i love to share my music with people i know really appreciate music and i've been making people play her albums all the time, i just can't help it. Everyone i've known to have heard it loves her and wants her cd's.

I, too, hope she doesn't become too mainstream but frankly it's inevitable, although, her lyrics are a bit eclectic for radio etc. over here in the UK so "ca ira".

At the end of the day i don't think she's doing it for the money but more for the satisfaction of completing her goals and being where she wants to be and people appreciating her for the right reasons, so mainstream or not, as long as she's getting her appreciation and satisfaction.. it's all good!

keep spreading!