Sign in to follow this  
BlueyUK

Spreading Regina

I have to confess, i have only just become a fan. But since about 5 months ago when my boyfriend decided that he would buy me a copy of Reginas album, as it seemed a bit unusual, I have managed to get the local hot spot of my town to add it to their I Tunes list and occasionally i hear a little playing in the background. I have to say, people look like they are loving it!!! Right on to Regina! but more importantly, right on to my boyfriend for having a good ear!

I have to confess, i have only just become a fan. But since about 5 months ago when my boyfriend decided that he would buy me a copy of Reginas album, as it seemed a bit unusual, I have managed to get the local hot spot of my town to add it to their I Tunes list and occasionally i hear a little playing in the background. I have to say, people look like they are loving it!!! Right on to Regina! but more importantly, right on to my boyfriend for having a good ear!

i really just cannot help but feel that i want it all to stop. regina was my thing two years ago. nobody i knew had ever heard of her, and everyone i had in the car while playing it either hated it and made me turn it off (someone said she sounds like cat steven's wife, which was completely obscure!) or loved it and asked for the CD, which I happily gave to them. It was a mix i downloaded illegally and made myself of everything i could find. the CD was perfect, each song going beautifully into the next despite its random assembly. i call it Regina Spektor Starter Kit. Since then I now have 4 mixed CDs of hers, and then Begin to Hope. It's so nice when you have something that is your own, that you are the expert on in your little area of America or wherever, and that you can keep from the world. But then BUM BUM BUM! i heard her at starbucks and almost threw up. then somoene called to tell me they heard her at a movie theater. then suddely all my little sister's little 14 year old friends start liking her because i gave her the CD. then i leave the country to move to europe, and lo and behold shes on freaking VH1? granted i did hear about her to begin with on MTV in 2003, but it breaks my very regina devoted heart to think of her being "main stream" which i fear she is destined for. im lucky that there are so many people with horrible taste that say regina sucks, because that will keep her off the radio, but i say regina belongs in small venues with 100 people who are devoted to her than 500 people that kind of like her. she just seems like that kind of artist to me.

quote:
Originally posted by minicoopertrooper:

but i say regina belongs in small venues with 100 people who are devoted to her than 500 people that kind of like her.

I don't know about the word "belongs", but "is more enjoyable to witness" would work for me. Does it seem like I'm dwelling when I point this out? Sorry, but my latest experience was just THAT bad... Uncool man. Uncool.

I work in a small gas station, and I leave Regina on for about 5 of my 8 hour shift. So far I've gotten about 3 people asking about her which really makes me happy when they do.

and then i keep giving out random mixes of my favorite songs to friends that ask. its very very pleasing when people like her

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

It gets worse. I heard Fidelity this weekend while walking with my daughter around Kohl's (department store). A very surreal moment.

HOLY SHiT I DID TOO< my daughter is 11 months old and started dancing because she knows it i guess!! I WAS LIKE WHAT THE HELL??? oh and this idiot girl i know who can't stay attatched to the same anything for more than 3 days had it on her myspace which absolutely drove me nuts, because i know she is one of those who will not NOT appreciate her AT ALL and will be one to ignore her in a minute,

i called her and go..."WHERE did you hear about Regina Spektor??" and she goes WHO???

i was like well you are playing her song on your myspace, and she goes, "oh her...i saw the video on VH1" made me mad...

i have been listening to her for quite a while now, and i am happy that she is getting the recognition she deserves, but i would absolutely hate for her to become mainstream and be thrown to the curb after a few months like other mainstream artists, the good thing is to know that if that happens, she will still have us as devoted fans!!