Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

AOL DL & VH1 Links

When i heard that she was going to be the you oughta know artist i was so happy for her they play those commercials all the time and this will probobly finally get her on the top 20 countdown. Some people are angry though because more and more people are starting to like her. What do you guys think?

anyone bitching about her becoming too big should shut the fuck up. she deserves as much success as she can get. she's getting more and more popular, while sticking to herself and her art through and through.

besides, she's been on a major label for literally years now. if you want to get mad about her getting big, you should have started a long time ago.

it bothers me SO MUCH that fans have the audacity to look at her success this way. it's beyond rude. she DESERVES SO MUCH and many fans get all snippy about her "fame." it's ridiculous.

While I understand his need to rant, and agree with the sentiment of Adam's comment, I think it's based on an assumption that people don't want Regina to gain more success. I don't think that is the case.

I think most of the people that are upset (disheartened may be a better word) with Regina's success are looking at the new fans who don't appreciate Regina's music as most of the older fans feel that they should. I admit that it even bothers me when something that I enjoy becomes a simple fleeting interest to someone else. Disposable in a manner of speaking, not warranting their attention for too long, lest they not be on the cutting edge of what's next.

Obviously most fans wish Regina all of the success in the world, while some may be left wishing that appreciation & success weren't mutually exclusive. There may even be something to be said for the fact that the masses have been attracted to her via commercial means, rather than hearing the music and connecting themselves to it first.

I'm more trying to analyze the situation here than to provide an explanation, so my temporary conclusion is this:

Yes there are shortsighted greedy fans that want Regina all to themselves, but there are others expressing problems with her growing fame, not out of selfishness, but out of disdain for the cheapening effect of music industry marketing & societal popularity. Things that have the ability to suck innocent joy out of anything.

*ADDENDUM - My personal stance on this 'issue' is easy to explain. I wish Regina continued success - as I define success, and it's not with numbers of fans. Happiness and the ability to sustain a career full of inspiration for many years (a lifetime?) is how I would define success for her. Commercial success is inconsequential. I also know that if her next performance in my town is at the same size (or larger) venue than it was the last time, I will not be attending. I prefer the enjoyable memories of the shows that I've been to. Larger crowds, different vibe, personal feelings of alienation from what was once a small friendly community - not my cup of tea. I've experienced my favourite version of Regina, I guess the world can have theirs... for now Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by adamjk:

anyone bitching about her becoming too big should shut the fuck up. she deserves as much success as she can get. she's getting more and more popular, while sticking to herself and her art through and through.

besides, she's been on a major label for literally years now. if you want to get mad about her getting big, you should have started a long time ago.

it bothers me SO MUCH that fans have the audacity to look at her success this way. it's beyond rude. she DESERVES SO MUCH and many fans get all snippy about her "fame." it's ridiculous.

I agree, even though she is getting bigger she is still just being herself. and i agree that the new fans don't appreciate her as much as the older fans do.

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

*ADDENDUM - My personal stance on this 'issue' is easy to explain. I wish Regina continued success - as I define success, and it's not with numbers of fans. Happiness and the ability to sustain a career full of inspiration for many years (a lifetime?) is how I would define success for her. Commercial success is inconsequential. I also know that if her next performance in my town is at the same size (or larger) venue than it was the last time, I will not be attending. I prefer the enjoyable memories of the shows that I've been to. Larger crowds, different vibe, personal feelings of alienation from what was once a small friendly community - not my cup of tea. I've experienced my favourite version of Regina, I guess the world can have theirs... for now Smiler

Johnny, you're incredible.

My sentiments precisely

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

While I understand his need to rant, and agree with the sentiment of Adam's comment, I think it's based on an assumption that people don't want Regina to gain more success. I don't think that is the case.

I think most of the people that are upset (disheartened may be a better word) with Regina's success are looking at the new fans who don't appreciate Regina's music as most of the older fans feel that they should. I admit that it even bothers me when something that I enjoy becomes a simple fleeting interest to someone else. Disposable in a manner of speaking, not warranting their attention for too long, lest they not be on the cutting edge of what's next.

Obviously most fans wish Regina all of the success in the world, while some may be left wishing that appreciation & success weren't mutually exclusive. There may even be something to be said for the fact that the masses have been attracted to her via commercial means, rather than hearing the music and connecting themselves to it first.

I'm more trying to analyze the situation here than to provide an explanation, so my temporary conclusion is this:

Yes there are shortsighted greedy fans that want Regina all to themselves, but there are others expressing problems with her growing fame, not out of selfishness, but out of disdain for the cheapening effect of music industry marketing & societal popularity. Things that have the ability to suck innocent joy out of anything.

i tottaly agree with this. i belive some of my friends may really like her but some i dont know and like JohnnyC said "I admit that it even bothers me when something that I enjoy becomes a simple fleeting interest to someone else." but i guess i am rong for feeling that way and i should just let others do what they want to do i just bothers me a little

i echo johnny's analysis.

the only real drawback to regina being famous for me is felt at her live shows. the first two times i saw her were at small clubs where i was able to make my way to the first couple of rows. her personality and performance technique is perfect for this kind of setting. she thrives on making small talk with the crowd, and it makes for great entertainment. some performers make great music on stage, while others make up for what they lack in musical ability with superior entertainment skills on stage. regina is the rarest of performers who posseses both qualities. when i saw her last month it was at a theater that holds almost two thousand people. once again, she sounded great and she was as cute and funny on stage as always. however, the big difference is that the crowd was too far away to return her cute remarks. it's disappointing, but a small price to pay for one of the coolest, most deserving people in the world to obtain success. i can live with these kinds of shows knowing that regina is getting the recognition and acclaim that she absolutely deserves.

the best part about her growing fame is meeting people who already know of her greatness. for the past few years i have found my musical tastes drifting away from everyone i know. the only people i talk to with similar tastes are all on the internet. as much as i like coming to messageboards like this one and discussing great music, i must say that it is extremely refreshing to actually be able to do it in the real world.

i like paying small prices to see my favorite bands and performers at intimate venues, but deep down there is a part of me that wants them to get big just so i can go around saying "i knew these guys when they were playing shows for 50 people..." there is also a smaller part of my selfish side that wants to keep these artists to myself, but in the end i know that the pros outweigh the cons in that situation. it's funny, a friend of mine who is mainly into rock is finally asking me to make him a regina cd after hearing a clip on vh1. he's seen the posters on my wall for a couple of years, and now that there is some hype behind her he's finally interested.