Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raugust

Song chronology

12 posts in this topic

Is there any timeline, or anything similar, noting approximately when Regina first performed various songs? If not, would anyone be interested in helping make one? If we could "compare notes" regarding the earliest performances or recordings of various songs, we could get a reasonably accurate idea of what sorts of themes, styles, and recurring elements have changed at different times over the last 6 years or so.

Exact dates aren't needed--even if it's nothing more specific than "early 2001" and the like, and even though it'd surely be a work in progress as we gathered more fans' info and thus accumulated earlier and earlier attestations for various songs, I think it would be a very interesting and useful thing to make, to provide us (and especially newer fans) with a better idea of how Regina's songwriting has evolved and changed over the years. And to keep that interesting information recorded safely in case it's needed at a later date.

After all, simply looking at when songs were officially released doesn't paint an accurate picture at all of Regina's changing styles: "20 Years of Snow", for example, was around back in 2001 or 2002 (EDIT: 1997 or 1998!), while "Fidelity" didn't show up until January 2005, yet a new fan might think that both songs were composed in 2006, when they were first officially released on "Begin to Hope". I think it'd be really cool to give at least a simple song timeline a try, if there's any interest.

EDIT - The current list (with confirmed debuts in bold, provisional "earliest" dates in non-bold, and songs not written by Regina in italics) is:

1998: 20 Years of Snow, Better, Lady, Samson

May 2000: Mockingbird

March 2001: 2.99 Cent Blues, Back of a Truck, Braille, Buildings, Flyin', I Want to Sing, Love Affair, One-String Blues, Rejazz, Mary Ann, Pavlov's Daughter, Sunshine, Wasteside

Dec 25, 2001: Aching to Pupate, Bon Idee, Consequence of Sounds, Daniel Cowman, December, Lacrimosa, Lounge, Lulliby, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Oedipus, Prisoners, Reading Time with Pickle, Scarecrow and Fungus

2002: All is Love, Kids

Mar 13, 2002: 8th Floor, A Lesson in How Fleeting Preservation Is, Baobabs, Soho, The Mustard Musketeers

May 01, 2002: Belt

May 04, 2002: AB, In the Studio, Poor Little Rich Boy

Nov 30, 2002: Chemo Limo

Dec 19, 2002: The Flowers

2003: Summer in the City

Early 2003: The Big Towns

Jan 28, 2003: Carbon Monoxide

Feb 13, 2003: The Bronx

Feb 15, 2003: Dance Anthem of the '80s

May 05, 2003: Ave Maria, Dusseldorf, Happy Hooker, Making Records, Ode to Divorce, Sailor Song, Somedays, Your Honor

May 31, 2003: Dust to Dust, Uh-Merica

Aug 08, 2003: Folding Chair, Genius Next Door, Patron Saint, Secret Stash, The Devil Come to Bethlehem

Aug 19, 2003: Ghost of Corporate Future, Us

Oct 03, 2003: Stop Right Now

Oct 29, 2003: Modern Girls & Old Fashion Men

Dec 29, 2003: A Cannon, A Cooler Version of Yourself, Music Box, Time is All Around

2004: BYOS, Movies, Paris, Raindrops, Soup, The List

Feb 14, 2004: Baby Jesus, Bobbing for Apples, Dog and Pony, Mermaid, My Man

Jun 29, 2004: Aquarius

Jul 10, 2004: Ain't No Cover, Apres Moi, Bartender, Definition of a Crazy Person, Hero, Lucky Penny, Reginasaurus, The Wallet

Sep 09, 2004: Uncle Bobby

Oct 15, 2004: Blue Lips, Edit, Long Brown Hair, Loveology, You

Nov 15, 2004: The Virgin Queen

2005: Be Like a Cloud, Bear Spektor, By the Time You Read This Letter, Oh Marcello!, Rockland County, Sundown, The Floor Heard Everything, Woolen Gloves

Jan 12, 2005: Fidelity

Jan 21, 2005: Open, Pound of Flesh

Jan 26, 2005: All the Rowboats

Feb 04, 2005: That Time

Mar 30, 2005: Begin to Hope, Hotel Song, Silly Eye Color Generalizations

Jul 27, 2005: Field Below

Jun 05, 2005: The Noise

Jun 07, 2005: On The Radio

Aug 23, 2005: Another Town

Sep 13, 2005: Chelsea Hotel, Hallelujah, Love Profusion

Feb 01, 2006: Small Town Moon

Apr 08, 2006: Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori, Human of the Year

Jun 01, 2006: Halikha LeKesariya

Oct 16, 2006: Little Boxes

Nov 20, 2006: Love You're a Whore

Is there any timeline, or anything similar, noting approximately when Regina first performed various songs? If not, would anyone be interested in helping make one? If we could "compare notes" regarding the earliest performances or recordings of various songs, we could get a reasonably accurate idea of what sorts of themes, styles, and recurring elements have changed at different times over the last 6 years or so.

Exact dates aren't needed--even if it's nothing more specific than "early 2001" and the like, and even though it'd surely be a work in progress as we gathered more fans' info and thus accumulated earlier and earlier attestations for various songs, I think it would be a very interesting and useful thing to make, to provide us (and especially newer fans) with a better idea of how Regina's songwriting has evolved and changed over the years. And to keep that interesting information recorded safely in case it's needed at a later date.

After all, simply looking at when songs were officially released doesn't paint an accurate picture at all of Regina's changing styles: "20 Years of Snow", for example, was around back in 2001 or 2002 (EDIT: 1997 or 1998!), while "Fidelity" didn't show up until January 2005, yet a new fan might think that both songs were composed in 2006, when they were first officially released on "Begin to Hope". I think it'd be really cool to give at least a simple song timeline a try, if there's any interest.

EDIT - The current list (with confirmed debuts in bold, provisional "earliest" dates in non-bold, and songs not written by Regina in italics) is:

1998: 20 Years of Snow, Better, Lady, Samson

May 2000: Mockingbird

March 2001: 2.99 Cent Blues, Back of a Truck, Braille, Buildings, Flyin', I Want to Sing, Love Affair, One-String Blues, Rejazz, Mary Ann, Pavlov's Daughter, Sunshine, Wasteside

Dec 25, 2001: Aching to Pupate, Bon Idee, Consequence of Sounds, Daniel Cowman, December, Lacrimosa, Lounge, Lulliby, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Oedipus, Prisoners, Reading Time with Pickle, Scarecrow and Fungus

2002: All is Love, Kids

Mar 13, 2002: 8th Floor, A Lesson in How Fleeting Preservation Is, Baobabs, Soho, The Mustard Musketeers

May 04, 2002: AB, In the Studio, Poor Little Rich Boy

Dec 19, 2002: The Flowers

2003: Summer in the City

Early 2003: The Big Towns

Feb 15, 2003: Dance Anthem of the '80s

May 05, 2003: Ave Maria, Dusseldorf, Happy Hooker, Making Records, Ode to Divorce, Sailor Song, Somedays, Your Honor

Aug 08, 2003: Folding Chair, Genius Next Door, Patron Saint, Secret Stash, The Devil Come to Bethlehem

Aug 19, 2003: Ghost of Corporate Future, Us

Oct 03, 2003: Stop Right Now

Oct 29, 2003: Modern Girls & Old Fashion Men

Dec 29, 2003: A Cannon, A Cooler Version of Yourself, Music Box, Time is All Around

2004: BYOS, Movies, Paris, Raindrops, Soup, The List

Feb 14, 2004: Baby Jesus, Bobbing for Apples, Dog and Pony, Mermaid, My Man

Jul 10, 2004: Ain't No Cover, Apres Moi, Bartender, Definition of a Crazy Person, Hero, Lucky Penny, Reginasaurus, The Wallet

Oct 15, 2004: Blue Lips, Edit, Long Brown Hair, Loveology, You

Nov 15, 2004: The Virgin Queen

2005: Be Like a Cloud, Bear Spektor, By the Time You Read This Letter, Oh Marcello!, Rockland County, Sundown, The Floor Heard Everything, Woolen Gloves

Jan 12, 2005: Fidelity

Jan 21, 2005: Open, Pound of Flesh

Feb 04, 2005: That Time

Mar 30, 2005: Begin to Hope, Hotel Song, Silly Eye Color Generalizations

Jul 27, 2005: Field Below

Jun 05, 2005: The Noise

Aug 23, 2005: Another Town

Sep 13, 2005: Chelsea Hotel, Hallelujah, Love Profusion

Feb 01, 2006: Small Town Moon

Apr 08, 2006: Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori, Human of the Year

Jun 01, 2006: Halikha LeKesariya

Oct 16, 2006: Little Boxes

Nov 20, 2006: Love You're a Whore

Emmerrrrrrr likes this

I think that's a very interesting idea. I'd be willing to help - but I don't have any special Regina informations, just the songs everyone has Smiler

...i also think that this is my delurk post.

Yeah, I don't have any special Regina information either. That's part of the reason why I wanted to start a timeline. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum with great information on early performances for various older songs.

For a starting point, however, we can begin by noting when sites like reginaspektor.net first list the various songs, then continue to assign earlier dates to the songs as we get more accounts of songs being performed or written earlier.

Remember, anyone who wants to contribute, you don't need to know the absolute earliest date for a song--just provide times for the first performances you know of, and we can work from there. That way we can get progressively clearer information on how old various songs are.

Thanks, genkaar! Remember that it's OK even if we don't have an exact date, though, since we're just starting off. I'll provide a very inaccurate starting list for us to work from; anyone who knows of any of these songs being performed or written earlier than these attested dates, speak up and we'll continually revise it until it's reasonably accurate.

This list is simply based on the dates for the live shows listed at reginaspektor.net, the release dates for her early albums, and scattered other references; I'm sure there will be much earlier performances for almost all of these, but I just want to emphasize that we'll probably get a complete and fairly accurate listing faster by trying to get progressively earlier and earlier confirmations of songs, rather than by only settling on exact, official dates for writing.

To distinguish the "this is just a placeholder until we get an earlier attestation" dates (many of which will be wildly inaccurate at the start, but should get progressively better) for songs from the "we're reasonably sure that this actually is when the song first appeared" dates, the latter songs will be in bold.

Jul 09, 2001: 2.99 Cent Blues, Back of a Truck, Braille, Buildings, Flyin', I Want to Sing, Love Affair, Rejazz, Mary Ann, Pavlov's Daughter, Sunshine, Wasteside

Dec 25, 2001: Aching to Pupate, Bon Idee, Consequence of Sounds, Daniel Cowman, Lacrimosa, Lounge, Lulliby, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Oedipus, Prisoners, Reading Time with Pickle, Samson

Mar 13, 2002: 20 Years of Snow, A Lesson in How Fleeting Preservation Is, Baobabs, Eighth Floor, Soho, The Mustard Musketeers

May 04, 2002: AB, In the Studio, One-String Blues, Poor Little Rich Boy

Feb 15, 2003: Better, Dance Anthem of the '80s

May 5, 2003: Ave Maria, Dusseldorf, Happy Hooker, Making Records, Ode to Divorce, Sailor Song, Somedays, Your Honor

Oct 03, 2003: The Clocks Were Asleep

Dec 29, 2003: A Cannon, A Cooler Version of Yourself, Music Box Time is All Around

Feb 14, 2004: Baby Jesus, Bobbing for Apples, Dog and Pony, Mermaid

Jul 10, 2004: Ain't No Cover, Apres Moi, Bartender, Definition of a Crazy Person, Hero, Lucky Penny, Reginasaurus, Summer in the City, The Wallet

Aug 17, 2004: Ghost of Corporate Future, The Flowers, Us

Oct 11, 2004: Blue Lips

Oct 15, 2004: Long Brown Hair, You

Oct 16, 2004: Edit, Loveology

Jan 21, 2005: Fidelity, Open, Pound of Flesh

Mar 30, 2005: Begin to Hope, Hotel Song, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, That Time

Jun 05, 2005: My Man, The Noise

Sep 13, 2005: Chelsea Hotel (cover), Hallelujah (cover), Love Profusion (cover)

Apr 09, 2006: Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori, Field Below, Human of the Year

Jun 1, 2006: Halikha LeKesariya (cover)

Jun 13, 2006: Another Town, Lady

Nov 20, 2006: Love, You're a Whore

So, anyone wanna note any earlier showings for any of the above songs, so we can start to mould this into an increasingly accurate timeline? Again, exact dates aren't needed; if all you know is "early 2001" or "May 2002" or anything like that, it's better than nothing. And again, it doesn't matter if you don't think that your earlier date was the first showing; as long as it's earlier, it helps get the list closer to accuracy. I'm sure if we pool our memories and recordings of older songs we'll be able to make a very interesting, accurate, and useful chronoReginaology here.

Considering Soviet Kitsch was originally released in 2003, all the songs from that album should be placed within that year or before it.

Regina stated in this interview that "Better", "20 Years of Snow", "Lady" and "Samson" "go back to '98, maybe even '97."

"The Flowers" was premiered at a Tonic show on December 19, 2002.

"Another Town" was first played at Cabaret Voltaire in Edinburgh on August 23, 2005.

"Fidelity" was written on January 12, 2005. Regina played it for the first time on an NPR radio show taping the next day.

"My Man" was performed earlier than the Bull Moose show. It was part of the February 14, 2004 show.

"Us" and "The Ghost of Corporate Future" were played at a Sin-é show on August 19, 2003.

"Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori" and "Human of the Year" were premiered on April 8, 2006.

"Field Below" was played at Tonic on July 27, 2005.

"Small Town Moon" was premiered on February 1, 2006.

"The Virgin Queen"'s first and only performance was on November 15, 2004.

"Edit" and "Loveology" were also performed on October 15, 2004.

"Summer in the City" dates back to 2003... there was a thread containing a link to a recording of a short set with the song on it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone else remember it?

Thanks a ton for the info!! I'll just start editing a list in the first post on this thread of what we've got so far, so people don't have to scroll down to see the current listing if this thread gets lengthy.

I guess Wikipedia lied to me, as it said that Soviet Kitsch wasn't released in any form until August 17, 2004. I thought something was strange when I kept seeing mentionings of that album from 2003 posts. Do you know what the actual original release date was? Though I guess it doesn't matter if we identify earlier playings for all the Soviet Kitsch songs.