Sign in to follow this  
JrAndTheFog

Nicole Atkins

I don't know what it is. I always end up with the performers parents at shows i go to now somehow.

Whenever I go see reg I always end up at least speaking with her father. Last night I'm hanging out minding my own business and I get into a conversation with this guy. Turns out it's Nicole's Dad, Dutch. Yes, Dutch Atkins. We had a hell of a time hanging out, sharing libations and stories about Nicole. She came over at one point and I thought wow, I'm gonna meet her. Well everybody in this area was a aunt, uncle, cousin, neice etc. They just swarmed her and I wasn't about to step in to the middle of that.

She has a huge family. At one point she joked on stage. "Wow, I know all you motherfuckers. You're all related to me. Now where have you guys been at my shows prior to this? I have a bone to pick with most of you!!"

She put on a hell of a show. Her band is very tight. In particular her lead guitarist, Dave Hollinhurst and keyboard player, Daniel Chen. These are top notch muscians.

During one of Nicoles songs Dutch and I looked at each other and at the same time we both said, "I just got chills." Imagine that. Oh and then there was even a song she did that he didn't know. A Patti Smith cover of "Pissin in a River". When I told him what it was he was surprised I knew it and he didn't.

All in all a very pleasureable experience. For those in NJ, PBS 12 was there and I spoke with them. They will be airing a piece on Nicole in February including footage from last night.

People, if she's ever in your area, do not miss her. I guarantee it will be a great experience.

Wow, this sounds so great!!! I shoulda gone!! I love that you were chatting with her Dad. But next time, you'd better push your way into the crowd and say HI to Nicole, before she gets too famous.

Hey, did I tell you my daughter's friends saw her opening for the Pipettes in NYC? They really liked her. And the dad who took them to the concert apparently much preferred Nicole to the Pipettes. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

I don't know what it is. I always end up with the performers parents at shows i go to now somehow.

Whenever I go see reg I always end up at least speaking with her father. Last night I'm hanging out minding my own business and I get into a conversation with this guy. Turns out it's Nicole's Dad, Dutch. Yes, Dutch Atkins. We had a hell of a time hanging out, sharing libations and stories about Nicole. She came over at one point and I thought wow, I'm gonna meet her. Well everybody in this area was a aunt, uncle, cousin, neice etc. They just swarmed her and I wasn't about to step in to the middle of that.

She has a huge family. At one point she joked on stage. "Wow, I know all you motherfuckers. You're all related to me. Now where have you guys been at my shows prior to this? I have a bone to pick with most of you!!"

She put on a hell of a show. Her band is very tight. In particular her lead guitarist, Dave Hollinhurst and keyboard player, Daniel Chen. These are top notch muscians.

During one of Nicoles songs Dutch and I looked at each other and at the same time we both said, "I just got chills." Imagine that. Oh and then there was even a song she did that he didn't know. A Patti Smith cover of "Pissin in a River". When I told him what it was he was surprised I knew it and he didn't.

All in all a very pleasureable experience. For those in NJ, PBS 12 was there and I spoke with them. They will be airing a piece on Nicole in February including footage from last night.

People, if she's ever in your area, do not miss her. I guarantee it will be a great experience.

told you i liked her pianist.

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

Hey, did I tell you my daughter's friends saw her opening for the Pipettes in NYC? They really liked her. And the dad who took them to the concert apparently much preferred Nicole to the Pipettes. Smiler

That's been my issue with going to see her. I wanted her to be the headliner. I didn't want to go for an abbreviated set. Last night was my first chance with her as the headliner and it was well worth the wait.

Lisa, she's your cup of tea. You would have definetly walked away happy.

SOAS, i just realized I kinda blew right through you there. I apoligize. Yes, the layering of her music and depth is what really attracted me to her from the get go. It has a real Angelo Badalamenti/David Lynch feel. Her stuff so reminds me of their collaberation on the Twin Peaks Soundtrack which was a cult classic TV series in the 80's.....Who killed Laura Palmer??? Cool

Plus she hung out with reg back in the day. reg actually slept on her couch a few times....

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

That's been my issue with going to see her. I wanted her to be the headliner. I didn't want to go for an abbreviated set. Last night was my first chance with her as the headliner and it was well worth the wait.

Lisa, she's your cup of tea. You would have definetly walked away happy.

SOAS, i just realized I kinda blew right through you there. I apoligize. Yes, the layering of her music and depth is what really attracted me to her from the get go. It has a real Angelo Badalamenti/David Lynch feel. Her stuff so reminds me of their collaberation on the Twin Peaks Soundtrack which was a cult classic TV series in the 80's.....Who killed Laura Palmer??? Cool

Plus she hung out with reg back in the day. reg actually slept on her couch a few times....

Im obsessed with Twin PEaks.. i just bought the gold edition of all the episodes for 60 bucks on sale!