Sign in to follow this  
Raugust

An up-to-date Regina fansite?

I've been wondering, recently, about the possibility of either creating, or reorganizing and updating, a fansite for Regina Spektor news and info. reginaspektor.com is infrequently updated and is missing a lot of important information (particularly about unreleased songs), while reginaspektor.net, by far the best fan-site I've found for her, is years out-of-date in a lot of respects and could have so much more content--like a listing of articles and interviews, the chronology and songlists we've been working on on this forum, links to other download sites, etc.

I'd have offered my services to that site's webmaster already, but there doesn't seem to be any method for contacting "SRG" on the page. Does anyone know such a method, or whether or not SRG might be interested in my assistance in updating and/or expanding that site's contents?

If not, then what do y'all think of the possibility of making a new fansite for us all to contribute to? There are a lot of limitations to this forum (and to the other site I've been making use of, http://lyricwiki.org/Regina_Spektor), especially in terms of organizing and keeping track of important info, that having an actively-updated fan-run website would solve. I have no preferences at all regarding whether to make a brand-new site or just work on an existing one, though I'd prefer to handle the content-related dirty work rather than running the website myself. So, any interest?

I've been wondering, recently, about the possibility of either creating, or reorganizing and updating, a fansite for Regina Spektor news and info. reginaspektor.com is infrequently updated and is missing a lot of important information (particularly about unreleased songs), while reginaspektor.net, by far the best fan-site I've found for her, is years out-of-date in a lot of respects and could have so much more content--like a listing of articles and interviews, the chronology and songlists we've been working on on this forum, links to other download sites, etc.

I'd have offered my services to that site's webmaster already, but there doesn't seem to be any method for contacting "SRG" on the page. Does anyone know such a method, or whether or not SRG might be interested in my assistance in updating and/or expanding that site's contents?

If not, then what do y'all think of the possibility of making a new fansite for us all to contribute to? There are a lot of limitations to this forum (and to the other site I've been making use of, http://lyricwiki.org/Regina_Spektor), especially in terms of organizing and keeping track of important info, that having an actively-updated fan-run website would solve. I have no preferences at all regarding whether to make a brand-new site or just work on an existing one, though I'd prefer to handle the content-related dirty work rather than running the website myself. So, any interest?

That's been a gripe of mine as well as several other folks. At minimum Brumstix needs moderators. There are so many related threads floating around. We have a lot of noob questions where no search was performed which has contributed to the mish-mosh.

There are also a lot of features lacking that are available on most other boards. I know I need not bore you with those details as everyone already knows.

While I am unable to help with the organization of this or an alternate site, I would be willing to contribute monetarily if these items were addressed.

G

It seems to me that the ideal situation would be if we just built off of reginaspektor.net, since that's the site people are already most familiar with, and since it's already such a great resource for lyrics and live recordings. However, that would obviously depend entirely upon the webmaster, and since he hasn't been around in the last few weeks, it might be difficult to get a response on that in the near future.

So, for now, I guess the safer assumption is to think about making a new site. Which raises the questions: (1) who would host it?; (2) where would it be?; (3) what would it be called? Regarding names, I'm currently leaning on "Reginapolis", because it's a cute, relatively simple place-name created by Regina, because www.reginapolis.com doesn't seem to be a registered domain, and because it is suggestive of the "city life" theme common to so many of Regina's songs (perhaps we could even model the layout after a stylized city in some way). The main disadvantage I can see is the possibility of confusion with "Reginópolis", which is an actual Brazilian municipality, but other than that I like the idea. Any responses to that possibility, or alternative ideas?

Other than that, the first question is probably the one that looms largest. I don't want to run the site myself because I have no idea when I'll become too busy again to maintain it, because I'm so new to the fan-community, and because I have little experience with running a general-use website. My interest in making this thread is more in raising the possibility that I contribute heavily to someone else's site, with features like I mentioned above (and others I've been brainstorming about).

Yeah, I considered respekt.com too, which I like mainly because it's so short and easy to remember! The disadvantage of that one is that (1) it's already used prominently in reginaspektor.com's layout, so Regina might not like it if we take it over to make a fansite (potentially confusing some fans into thinking we're official?), and (2) it gets 20,400,000 hits on Google, whereas Reginapolis only gets 152; so if we started a site under "respekt" it'd be sure to get no Google recognition, whereas one started under "Reginapolis" would almost certainly become the #1 hit for that search. (Though, on the other hand, it would also surely get randomly searched for a lot less often!) Both are good possibilities, tho. ... Assuming we find anyone who's interested in running and maintaining such a site to begin with..

i think this is a good idea.

definately should wait till we get in contact with whoever is doing reginaspektor.net

i'm no expert but i imagine it would be valuble to have him/her involved because he/she knows about the kinda bandwidth that website is taking etc...

also, no point forking out cash on another server, spending money on hosting files which are already hosted on reginaspektor.net (would want to have it as complete as is legal) ... no point splitting the fans between 2 sites... all that kinda thing

makes sense to collaborate, giving fans a central fansite rather than splitting... collaborating on hosting services... all round better.

i do like reginapolis.com as an idea... gives the fansite its own identity aside from the official website, if you see what i mean... a collaboration might allow both addresses to link to the same site, possibly the same server?

i do wonder about the cost.

I agree, we should wait for a response (though, again, does anyone know of how to get in touch with the webmaster?) before making any big decisions. And yeah, you make a good point about having a different name giving us a more distinct identity, rather than the only difference between the official and unofficial sites being .net/.com. Though even if we don't register the site reginapolis.com I imagine we could use that name in the layout somehow if we wanted. It makes it clear that this is a "Regina place", whereas "respekt" is a bit more ambiguous and has potentially confusing overtones. Plus Regina's music isn't really characterized by "respectfulness", if you know what I mean--that's part of what makes it awesome.