Sign in to follow this  
Raugust

An up-to-date Regina fansite?

*edit*

i searched the forums and found this

srg@reginaspektor.net seems to be your best bet if you havent tried already Smiler

reading that thread (and this one aswell i suppose) has made me actually realise people behind fanpages... i've always appreciated collaboration fo fans, especially on these forums as theres so much going on, not only with recordings, but sheet music too...

but now i've put mroe of a personality behind the fanpages people make, .net is a great website so if srg reads this, thanks again!

I'd like to be involved in the graphic design for the site, if any help is needed. I just bought Adobe Creative Suite and am looking forward o learning other stuff besides photoshop. I love the website idea, I think it might be a good idea to expand on Reginaspektor.net, even thought I really like the name reginapolis.com, A_Secret_Chord is right that we might split up fans, and I think we're aiming to bring them all together...There are so many fan groups on facebook and myspace already, it would be nice to have one homebase.

All of that sounds absolutely awesome, and I agree fully with Fran's point--what we want is a "hub" fansite where we can constructively pool our knowledge, talents, and love, rather than a ton of smaller, disparate, competing sites. And your help with the graphic design is very welcome, as that's another area I won't be much help in. Thanks to a_secret_chord for the e-mail; I didn't have that before, or I'd have e-mailed srg to start with. I've sent an e-mail there now, so I'll wait and see if I get a response.

Unfortunately I have no site-making skills to offer you guys, but I just wanted to voice my support for this idea. As nice as some of the existing Regina sites are, I think it would be great to have a comprehensive fan site that was frequently updated. Smiler

Eh, "reginarocks" sounds a tad generic. I like "respekt" because it's very short and simple, and I like "reginapolis" because it's meaningful and relevant without being too unsimple; potential confusion is a minor issue in both cases. If we're going to make a new name for a site at all, we should be more concerned with choosing a name that's fitting and pleasant than with one that's perfectly novel.

i'd love to help with a reginopolis.com

i've wanted to do a proper fansite for ages but i'm wary about stepping on srg's toes. i've emailed him before and offered to redesign rs.net and stuff and he's never responded. i think he prefers to keep things low key and simple. after all, he's not so much about the news as much as sharing old gems.

but yeah. i mean i'd love to do it. i can set up a system where a number of people can update news and such using a login panel (so there's no coding knowledge required) and that way a number of active fans can help keep it up to date.

seriously. i'd love to do it and just never wanted to be the guy forcing a new site into the scene. but i have the webspace, technical know-how, and i'm already hosting bootlegs (in a bare-bones manner that could easily be incorporated into a potential site).

i don't want to push or anything so i mean i'll let other people decide? i agree with everything though, this fanbase is so broken up. we have iheartregina on LJ too that's pretty damn big but still so disconnected from the brumstix. a site with an easy news system would let active members from various sites update and connect the different online sites.

anyway. if people want me to sort of just "do it," i will. semester ends soon enough, but i might not even have to wait that long.

Well, I don't know what the others think, adamjk, but that sounds like a dream come true to me. I would love nothing more than to have you "sort of just 'do it'" (whenever's convenient for you, of course), because I'm no good at that technical and webmastery stuff. That would be perfect.

quote:
i'd love to help with a reginopolis.com

Unfortunately, here you highlight the main problem I brought up with that site name earlier: the potential for confusion between "Reginapolis" and "Reginopolis". Smiler Reginapolis is how I assume you'd spell the word Regina makes up for her city in Reginasaurus, but I could see an argument being made for "Reginopolis", which would raise the problem that Reginópolis is an actual city. There's less potential for confusion with reginapolis.com (and reginopolis.com is already taken anyway), but even then I suppose it's inevitable that some people will misspell the name, just as you did. And then confusion will arise! :o

If people here agree that the benefit of such a nifty, appropriate name outweighs that potential downside, though, then I say, go for it! I like the idea enough (because "Reginapolis" is a Regina-created name that simply means "Regina place", perfect for a general-use website) that I'm not overly concerned about the opolis/apolis issue.

quote:
after all, he's not so much about the news as much as sharing old gems.

That's fair enough. Though I don't see why the two need be mutually exclusive. I didn't picture Reginapolis as purely a news site: though we could do better, reginaspektor.com already does a decent enough job at giving us updates on things like TV appearances and shows. Rather, I picture a site that could have a wide variety of pages eventually, including (in no particular order):

* News & Updates

* Lyrics

* Live Recordings & Demos

* Albums & Merchandise

* Timeline

* Biography

* Photos & Fanart

* Links

* Interviews & Articles

* Regina-isms

quote:
i can set up a system where a number of people can update news and such using a login panel (so there's no coding knowledge required) and that way a number of active fans can help keep it up to date.

Wow, that'd be amazing. Another suggestion I think was interesting was the possibility of a search engine for the site and/or for the lyrics pages, to make it easier to find a specific key phrase or the like. I think the multi-editor thing has a lot of potential, and would keep the site from ever becoming stagnant if users drifted away: there'd be ongoing infusions of new blood to keep the site fresh and active for new generations of fans. Very neat.