Sign in to follow this  
Raugust

An up-to-date Regina fansite?

Well, I don't know how to implement the searchable lyrics database, other than to make use of google's ability to search specific sites.

You definitely have a lot planned out, and I definitely agree, I didn't mean to imply it'd just be a news site. But the news section would be updatable by anyone so at least the news would always be up-to-date.

A gallery would be easy enough to do as well. Coppermine photo galleries can allow for a number of users. We could have admins to take care of the gallery and accept user submissions/etc.

Timelines would probably require us to work with older fans. I know Johnny C is something of a genius and would likely help us. I really don't mind putting it all together if I knew others wouldn't mind and would be willing to contribute!

I realized after the fact that it should in fact be Reginapolis.com, but you're right, for fans, at least, who are used to the song, they might get the URL wrong. I think the majority of fans (and she has countless new ones each day!) don't know the song though so the mistake would be one made by older fans, and they'd be around online to get the right spelling sooner or later anyway.

quote:
Well, I don't know how to implement the searchable lyrics database, other than to make use of google's ability to search specific sites.

That's fine, Google will work. Just throwing out ideas people have mentioned. Coppermine sounds great, too.

quote:
Timelines would probably require us to work with older fans.

Absolutely. I've made a few loose attempts at a "rough draft" of a song timeline, but it's wildly inaccurate at this point because of a dearth of oldskool fans. I got some helpful changes on Brumstix, but none on IHeartRegina, so I guess directly seeking out older fans will be necessary to get a reasonably accurate chronology.

quote:
I realized after the fact that it should in fact be Reginapolis.com, but you're right, for fans, at least, who are used to the song, they might get the URL wrong. I think the majority of fans (and she has countless new ones each day!) don't know the song though so the mistake would be one made by older fans, and they'd be around online to get the right spelling sooner or later anyway.

Er, why would the older fans be likely to get the name wrong? All the old lyrics sites for Reginasaurus seem to list the city's name as "Reginapolis", including reginaspektor.net and songmeanings.net.

I guess if we do go with "Reginapolis.com", we can do things with the layout to make it less likely that people will make that mistake. For example, we could have the site's banner (which could, perhaps, be skyline-styled? or whatever Fran has in mind I'm sure will be nifty) emphasize the "REGINA" in "Reginapolis".

If we all agree that it's worth going ahead with Reginapolis, then let's do it. Things will work themselves out. If people weren't stopped from getting to the regina sites by misspellings like "spector" and "spekter", then they surely won't find "Reginapolis" too much of an obstacle. Smiler

i'll probably have more to say when i get the chance to read this al properly, but yeh.

a decent host server will let you link both reginapolis.com and reginopolis.com to the same place, so confused fans will end up in the same place, not that its really that important... people confuse sites all the time, if they dont get to the right place then i'm sure they'll realise that.

The layout would definitely made the URL memorable, it'd encorporate the URL into it. I have idea already for a good, workable layout and all that.

Then again, if Fran's already working on things I'm not going to step on her toes. Unless I take care of the layout and coding (because the two are quite connected, obviously), and Fran uses her skills to cover the individual images that aren't tied to the site coding, like link banners and all that media that we'll use to get the site out...

Fran will have to answer that one, but I don't think that Fran's already started on anything, since we're still mostly in the brainstorming stage. Since Fran expressed interest in the graphic design, not in the layout per se, I'm sure you won't be stepping on anyone's toes in designing the code and layout and integral images and the like; and if you two end up making completely different layouts, it's no big deal anyway, since we can always switch designs at some point or just use both.

Regarding the site:

Lyics - Once we've got a working lyrics section, we can start importing (and improving) the information from lyricwiki.org/Regina_Spektor and reginaspektor.net. I'm thinking, for the songs that have been officially released, we can include both the official lyrics (from the site or the included booklets or whatever) and unofficial lyrics that give a more exact idea of the sounds, verse breakdowns, etc. For those without official lyrics, we'll have to rely entirely on unofficial ones, which, unlike official ones, we can constantly improve upon. There are lots of other interesting things we can do with lyrics in the long run, like having sections for interesting lyrical interpretations, for information Regina herself has revealed about the songs, and, of course, for where the songs are available (both official and unofficial recordings).

Recordings (mp3s, etc.) - I've been working lately on compiling a list of every available version of every Regina song: all the recordings I can find for the songs, and especially for the rarer/older ones. In the process I've found a lot of surprising tidbits which I think would be very valuable; once the site's up, I think it would be great to have some sort of table of all the recordings we know of, with columns for title, date (e.g., "2006-10-25"), source/location, song length (to help avoid doubles being posted), and notes (like "poor audio quality", "Chris Kuffner on bass", "debut performance", "beginning of song is cut off", "also on video", "Regina says 'Go Internet!' at the start", etc.), and credits (e.g., "recorded by MrCrimson"). If we end up being able to hold all or most of the mp3s someplace reliable, that will also be a tremendous boon, as many of Regina's songs aren't available at a consistent or reliable site. If we upload them all to one place, we could also work on making their filenames and info consistent (once we agree on what the best standard is), to ease the task of tracking down and organizing them for all fans in the long run.

Photos - I'm really digging the idea of making a centralized, user-edited Regina gallery with Coppermine or something. We could have sections under "Photos" for live performances (with subsections for specific events), photo shoots, candids, etc., a section for art and illustrations, and a section or category for LiveJournal Icons. Note that recently a number of fans have been pouring out tons of high-quality (and often rare) Regina photos at http://community.livejournal.com/iheartregina which would make a great start to any gallery, once we've got things up and running.

Exciting stuff...

A recordings database would be rather complicated. We would need some sort of way to effectively compile all that information.

I'm going to think of layouts and things and perhaps when the semester ends in a little bit, we can work to actually put something together.

Although, I still feel badly because reginaspektor.net is a fantastic resource and two years ago, when I first wanted to make a fansite, I intentionally didn't make a Regina one because of it. It's just the fan standard and I don't want anyone to think that I'm participating in some sort of impeaching or de-throning or anything at all like that.

quote:
A recordings database would be rather complicated. We would need some sort of way to effectively compile all that information.

Yeah, eventually some sort of fully editable, expandable database would be great. For now, though, I'm simply keeping a list of the recordings I've found in a Word document. Nothing fancy, and the list doesn't have to be perfect; something's better than nothing, as a useful starting point.

quote:
I'm going to think of layouts and things and perhaps when the semester ends in a little bit, we can work to actually put something together.

Sure, that'd be great. If you want my help with anything at all (e.g., if there's a certain format I could put my information in to make it easier to put on a site or database), feel free to say so, or e-mail or AIM me.

quote:
Although, I still feel badly because reginaspektor.net is a fantastic resource and two years ago, when I first wanted to make a fansite, I intentionally didn't make a Regina one because of it. It's just the fan standard and I don't want anyone to think that I'm participating in some sort of impeaching or de-throning or anything at all like that.
Your humility is admirable, and your attitude is understandable, but misguided. Some points:

1. The ultimate purpose of a fansite is not to gain prestige or glory for oneself, but to help and entertain the fans, and to generate appreciation for the artist. You should be concerned if our site draws fans away from Regina herself (as opposed to the expected outcome: more fans being drawn to Regina by our site), but if a few more people end up using reginapolis.com than reginaspektor.net, yet the net result is that the fans are happier and Regina gets more attention and appreciation, then I'm sure that every fan, srg included, will be extremely pleased with the outcome. Fansites do not compete for their webmasters' glory; they work together to share love for the artist. There is nothing to be guilty about as long as we're working to benefit both Regina and the fans.

2. As you mentioned, srg has been contacted a number of times about this, and hasn't replied. We know, however, that he's been active since then, so we know that if he cared much about it, he could have (and still can) at any time voice his objection. If we don't have any reason to believe that srg himself cares if we make a new Regina fansite, then we also don't have any reason to be guilty or hesitant about making the site.

3. If srg has any interest whatsoever in it, we will, of course, give him administrative privileges on reginapolis, let him contribute whatever he wants to the site, etc. We shouldn't assume that reginaspektor.net and reginapolis.com will necessarily end up being separate islands of information: in the long run, if srg wishes, the two could easily become one site, or srg could become heavily involved in running both sites. It just depends on what srg wants.

4. Our site will have a different (or at least expanded) scope from reginaspektor.net: it will provide a vast number of services to fans which reginaspektor.net does not even touch on (like a gallery, a regularly-updated news section, information on merchandise and CDs, articles and interviews, biographical details, and plenty of lyrics and songs that reginaspektor.net never mentions). Thus it obviously won't just be a second reginaspektor.net. It will also not steal any unique information from that site, and will credit that site and its webmaster for things like recordings that the site provided.

5. It's inevitable that more Regina fansites will pop up in the future; her popularity is only now beginning to become really astronomical. The only question is: will we end up with a small number of well-organized, cohesive, "together" sites working in unison, or will we end up with dozens of disparate, poorly-formed, uncommunicating sites? We have an opportunity to make the next generation of new Regina fansites an exceedingly fruitful, useful, interactive group effort, with cross-pollinization between many different fans' ideas keeping the community thriving and ever-expanding; that's the only thing that our working on this site could change.

The idea that reginaspektor.net will always continue to have a monopoly on Regina Spektor fansites is not a serious possibility either way. It's not a question of "will other fans want to make Regina fansites in the future?", but rather of "how useful will those fansites be in the future?" Making a reliable source of information to draw on will ensure that <i>other</i> Regina sites which pop up in the future (as they surely will) won't spread misinformation, have nowhere to go to find out about certain songs, etc.

The idea of "impeaching" a fansite's webmaster presumes that a webmaster is like a president; the idea of "dethroning" a fansite's webmaster presumes that a webmaster is like a king. Neither one could be further from the truth. Fandom is democratic, because love and art are democratic. Smiler We all work together to share our ideas, our creativity, our knowledge, our feelings, and our passions; whether we work on a site that's at one url or at another is completely irrelevant. The content itself, not the location of that content, is what it's all about. Making reginapolis.com is simply providing us a new vessel to store all those things, because we don't have access (direct or indirect) to reginaspektor.net; it is not establishing a new monarchy or world order or anything as silly as that. It is simply putting a new directory of assorted junk on the Internet for fans to benefit from. Even the most amazing and wonderful website of the sort we're making is, on a basic level, nothing grander than that.

You're absolutely right, and have clearly thought this through.

I've just registered reginapolis.com and am making a quick temporary page to put up once the registration goes through. We'll need to figure out who wants to help with what, it sounds like you have lyrics and such taken care of, and Johnny C would be excellent for biography/history type things, I think.

I have been stockpiling images for a while, but I don't have live photos, so if we found someone who collects live photos, perhaps entire fan-taken collections, sorted by show, they'd be perfect for gallery mod, otherwise we could find someone who'd be willing to contact people, perhaps on flickr, for their photos and permission to place them on the site.

I'm already hosting a few complete shows, so I can easily switch them over to reginapolis.com as it's on the same server anyway. I could host a few more, but too many would kill the bandwidth, I think.

Anyway, it looks like we're in business! I think we should continue using this thread to organize and work out who will do what. That way the creation is pretty much open to everyone as well, and there's no secrets or anything. It would be fantastic if we could use the site to FINALLY connect all the parts of the fan community... rs.net, these boards, iheartregina on livejournal, etc.