Sign in to follow this  
Raugust

An up-to-date Regina fansite?

Looks good so far. I'd say I'd help out but I really don't have any useful skills other than insomnia. Perhaps you should make a post outlining all of the stuff you are looking for to give people an idea of how they can assist. You could also create a PayPal account to accept donations to pay for hosting/other expenses. Keep up the nice work.

quote:
Originally posted by Paradise:

Looks good so far. I'd say I'd help out but I really don't have any useful skills other than insomnia. Perhaps you should make a post outlining all of the stuff you are looking for to give people an idea of how they can assist. You could also create a PayPal account to accept donations to pay for hosting/other expenses. Keep up the nice work.

Ditto

Paradise-

There's a list within this thread that Ragaust created that is pretty much a good one to work with. I can take care of the gallery to begin with, but things like information on more obscure songs, lyrics, and the like could be compiled by anyone and posted right here to start with.

Eventually, I think we'd pick someone to be in charge of "music information," perhaps based on who is most helpful anyway? Or who seems to know the most?

I went ahead and created it, but I don't want people to feel like I'm taking over what started as a discussion between others!

But yeah, to start with, if people would like to compile lyrics, that'd be super cool. If people want to grab them from online sources and double check against credible sources (if possible), like the album booklets, that'd be great. In addition, accompanying each song with a list of different titles it's had within "the fandom," like how "Pound Of Flesh" was "Ezra Pound," and "Bobbing For Apples" was "Names and Faces" sometimes, we can make it so clicking the old name in a master list on the site will open up the actual page, and explain that the title has been confirmed as one or the other.

Also, if someone wants to comb through iheartregina and track down all the magazine and newspaper article scans there and compile them, that'd be great for the gallery. I have a lot because I posted a lot of them, and I can provide reginapolis.com with the original, high-quality scans, but there are a good number of them that aren't mine, and that I don't have saved.

It might be cool to have a huge master link list of other musicians Regina has ties/friendships to. People in the whole singer-songwriter/etc scene that she's friendly with.

A well-written biography would be really good too, in addition to the official press-release-type ones that are up on bighassle.com. We could also track down particularly informative articles and copy/paste them onto seperate pages on the site to link to from a main biography page.

As far as downloads and bootlegged shows, I think we should definitely have a master list of all the recordings out there. I know that many people do collect them religiously (I personally try!) so if we had a huge list of what there was, even if we couldn't host them all (which we can't, in all honesty), we could include lists of volunteers willing to help other fans by uploading if requested.

I can't think of more, but I'm sure plenty of people can, so anyone who has ideas should feel free to post them here!

P.S. Thanks for the compliments! I think the site layout will follow a similar theme, so I'm glad you like it Smiler

quote:
http://www.reginapolis.com is now in existance. Smiler

<3 <3 <3

I love how you matched up Regina's outfit with the cityscape. Smiler Nicely designed. I know this is a placeholder image, but since you said you'd base the finished site's design on it, I should note that the cursive "reginapolis" is a bit iffy, in that it could be more easily readable (while still being stylish!), and it doesn't mesh too great with the rest of the image (partly 'cause of the white patches between the letters). But it's awesome to have a page up! I'm extremely excited, feel free to keep us updated and to let us know if you need any assistance with the proto-site's establishment.

quote:
Eventually, I think we'd pick someone to be in charge of "music information," perhaps based on who is most helpful anyway? Or who seems to know the most?

Sure. Or we could have a looser collection of various contributing editors, without worrying too much about titles. Whichever works best. Of course, even then we will no doubt be heavily benefited by random fan input.

quote:
But yeah, to start with, if people would like to compile lyrics, that'd be super cool.

That's what I've been attempting to do with http://lyricwiki.org/Regina_Spektor . It's a site that anyone can edit to contribute lyrics to, so the entire community can work together on ensuring that we have accurate and comprehensive lyrics. Then, once Reginapolis is up and running, we can simply transfer the songs we've worked on to there, albeit with format changes and the like.

quote:
In addition, accompanying each song with a list of different titles it's had within "the fandom," like how "Pound Of Flesh" was "Ezra Pound," and "Bobbing For Apples" was "Names and Faces" sometimes, we can make it so clicking the old name in a master list on the site will open up the actual page, and explain that the title has been confirmed as one or the other.

An excellent idea. I've listed a large number of song aliases on page 7 of the Spektography, but an alphabetized list with different entries for each significant misspelling could look like this (with officially confirmed titles in bold, and title aliases in italics accompanied by the accepted title):

2.99 Cent Blues

20 Years of Snow

8 Miles High (see Ain't No Cover)

8th Floor

A Cannon

A Cooler Version of Yourself

A Field Below (see Field Below)

A Lesson in How Fleeting Preservation Is

A Pound of Flesh (see Pound of Flesh)

AB

Aching to Pupate

Ain't No Cover

All is Love

All the Rowboats

Another Town

Aprés Moi

Aquarius

Ave Maria

B.Y.O.S. (see BYOS)

Baby Jesus

Back of a Truck

Baobabs

Bartender

Be Like a Cloud

Bear Spektor

Begin to Hope

Belt

Better

Billie Holiday (see My Man)

Blue Lips

Bobbing for Apples

Bon Idée

Braille

Buildings

By The Time You Read This Letter

BYOS

Cannon (see A Cannon)

Carbon Monoxide

Chelsea Hotel #2

Chemo Limo

Consequence of Sounds

Dance Anthem of the 80s

Daniel Cowman

December

Definition of a Crazy Person

Devil Come to Bethlehem (see The Devil Come to Bethlehem)

Dog and Pony

Down the Road and Up the Hill (see Open)

Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori

Düsseldorf

Dust to Dust

Edit

Eight Miles High (see Ain't No Cover)

Eighth Floor (see 8th Floor)

Eli, Eli (see Halikha LeKesariya)

Ezra Pound (see Pound of Flesh)

Fidelity

Field Below

Flowers (see The Flowers)

Flyin'

Folding Chair

Genius Next Door

Ghost of Corporate Future

Halikha LeKesariya

Hallelujah

Happy Hooker

Hero

High Fidelity (see Fidelity)

Hooker (see Happy Hooker)

Hotel Song

Human of the Year

I Cut My Hair (see Definition of a Crazy Person)

I Never Loved Nobody Fully (see Fidelity)

I Want to Sing

If You're Never Sorry (see Pound of Flesh)

In Another Town (see Another Town)

In the Studio

Intro (see Ain't No Cover)

It Ain't No Cover (see Ain't No Cover)

It Breaks My Heart (see Fidelity)

It's Hard to Live (see Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori)

Joseph and Mary (see The Devil Come to Bethlehem)

Just Like the Movies

Kids

Lacrimosa

Lady

Let Go of Her Hand (see Patron Saint)

Little Boxes

Long Brown Hair

Lounge

Loveology

Love, You're a Whore

Love Affair

Love Profusion

Lucky Penny

Lulliby

Making Records

Mary Ann

Mermaid

Mockingbird

Modern Girls & Old Fashion Men

Movies (see Just Like the Movies)

Music Box

Mustard Musketeer (see The Mustard Musketeers)

My Man

Names and Dates (see You)

Names and Faces (see Bobbing for Apples)

Never Loved Nobody Fully (see Fidelity)

No One Can Take That Away (see Secret Stash)

Noise (see The Noise)

Ode to Divorce

Oedipus

Oh, Marcello!

Ohmerica (see Uh-Merica)

One-String Blues

On The Radio

Open

Opposite Ends

Paris

Patron Saint

Pavlov's Daughter

Poor Little Rich Boy

Pound of Flesh

Prisoners

Radio (see On The Radio)

Raindrops

Reading Time with Pickle

Reginasaurus

Rejazz

Remember That Time (see That Time)

Rockland County

Sailor Song

Samson

Scarecrow & Fungus

Secret Stash

Silly Eye Color Generalizations

Small Town Moon

Soho

Somedays

Soup (see The Soup)

Stop Right Now

Summer in the City

Sunset

Sunshine

That Time

The Big Towns

The Bronx

The Clocks Were Asleep (see Stop Right Now)

The Devil Come to Bethlehem

The Floor Heard Everything

The Flowers

The Genius Next Door (see Genius Next Door)

The Ghost of Corporate Future (see Ghost of Corporate Future)

The List

The Mustard Musketeers

The Noise

The Soup

The Virgin Queen

The Wallet

This is How it Works (see On The Radio)

Time is All Around

Twenty Years of Snow (see 20 Years of Snow)

Uh-Merica

Uncle Bobby

Us

Virgin Queen (see The Virgin Queen)

Wallet (see The Wallet)

Wasteside

Watch (see Dance Anthem of the 80s)

Will You Feel Better (see Better)

Woolen Gloves

You

Your Honor

Since the use of a list like the above would be to let fans alphabetically parse the songs to find out what the correct name of a song is, I didn't bother listing AKAs that would be in the same alphabetical position at the correct name. For example, if someone searches for "A Cooler Version", they'll end up finding "A Cooler Version of Yourself" anyway; likewise, anyone looking for "Hero of the Story" will immediately stumble over the official title, "Hero".

Also, songs where we roughly know the title, but aren't sure of how it's spelled, are treated the same as songs we have no idea of the title of. Thus, since we don't know whether the song is called "8th Floor" or "Eighth Floor", one of them is favored based on past experience (Regina often uses numeral forms, such as for 20 Years of Snow), but neither is treated as officially confirmed. I'm even considering treating "Bobbing for Apples" as an unofficial title on the grounds that we aren't sure that the title isn't "Bobbin' for Apples". (Likewise for the grammar of "Dance Anthem of the 80s".)

quote:
I have a lot because I posted a lot of them, and I can provide reginapolis.com with the original, high-quality scans, but there are a good number of them that aren't mine, and that I don't have saved.

Once you have yours up on the gallery, it'll be easier to tell which ones you don't already have and thus to gather up the rest in an organized way. We can even post to iheartregina once the site's done for various requests; I'm sure that community will be most helpful.

quote:
It might be cool to have a huge master link list of other musicians Regina has ties/friendships to. People in the whole singer-songwriter/etc scene that she's friendly with.

That'd be awesome. Very neat idea! (And, of course, we could note which musicians she's collaborated with in the past, like The Strokes and The Crimea.) Another interesting biographical section would be a page on Regina's numerous musical (and literary!) influences.

quote:
We could also track down particularly informative articles and copy/paste them onto seperate pages on the site to link to from a main biography page.

Indeed, for the most important biographical pages (like Wikipedia's article). But I think it would also be helpful to have a whole page dedicated to (chronologically) listing the various articles and interviews of Regina. A lot of Regina articles are available online, so we can simply provide links to them if need be, but it would also be wise to save copies of those articles in case the pages go down at any point in the future, even if it's only for archival purposes rather than to bother making distinct pages on Reginapolis for every single Regina article or interview.

quote:
As far as downloads and bootlegged shows, I think we should definitely have a master list of all the recordings out there.

I'm glad you agree! I've been working for the last couple of days on a "rough draft" of such a list; though it's obviously vastly incomplete, it's somewhere to start from, and has about 500 songs at the moment. Since it's already rather long and would no doubt eventually come to be dozens of times longer (assuming Regina doesn't suddenly spontaneously combust or ascend to heaven tomorrow Red Face), should I make a new brumstix thread for it? (Though I'm not sure how to make tables work on this message board..) Or should I just e-mail it to you?

quote:
even if we couldn't host them all (which we can't, in all honesty),

If we rely on different websites to host them all, it's certainly not inconceivable. Consider how inefficient our current system is: most Regina fansites include songs that are redundant to other sites, with numerous overlaps. If we provided a central organizing scheme and then relied on those variety of sites and hosting services (the more reliable, the better, of course--and above all, long-term linking is very preferable to temporary uploads, which provide much less long-term benefit to the fans), we could possibly link to live downloads of every single Regina recording on the Internet, without expending much of our own bandwidth. If need be (though this isn't ideal), we could also collect groups of songs into .zip files and the like, since there are many concerts (especially more recent ones) that most people wouldn't really bother to select one or two songs from--they'd want them all, if any.

Of course, even if we can't eventually host them all, even providing the list is a tremendous boon to our fans, as it at least lets them know what to be on the look-out for. And if we're pressed for space, an easy alternative is to only provide constant downloads to the most sought-after songs, and to provide on-request, temporary downloads for all the rest. That is, for example, we'd consistently have "Dog and Pony" available for download, because it's such a rare and important recording, but we might not have the 2005-06-07 Radio City recording of "Bobbing for Apples" available all the time because it's so much less noteworthy and sought-after; instead, someone could post a request somewhere (to the site, or this forum..?) and we'd respond by putting it up for temporary download. It'd be a lot like the current system, just more organized and centralized.

Also, Mitch Hedberg is awesome.

I like the white patches with the red text. It certainly wasn't a mistake. :P

I think your list is fantastic and we should definitely use it.

I still don't think it's worth trying to host all the shows. First, it would be a lot of effort, but second of all, it would make uneccessary the "underground fan sharing" that holds this fan community together. I really enjoy how people have to share and make friends with other fans to help find everything. I don't know, I'm silly.

quote:
I like the white patches with the red text. It certainly wasn't a mistake. :P

I didn't say it was a mistake, just that it distracts from both the name itself (making it harder to read) and the city aesthetic. I realize you're going for a "rough around the edges" look, to an extent (hence the blocky grey outlines and jagged "collage" feel of the image), but we already agreed that it's important to make the site's name clear and readable so that people don't misread or misremember it.

It's not a big deal, of course; the site's just barely gone up and is under major construction.

quote:
I still don't think it's worth trying to host all the shows. First, it would be a lot of effort, but second of all, it would make uneccessary the "underground fan sharing" that holds this fan community together. I really enjoy how people have to share and make friends with other fans to help find everything.

You attitude isn't silly, you're just mistaken in thinking that if we make file-sharing more convenient, it will end that sense of community. There will always be new songs and other multimedia to share, and if anything having more time free from the monotonous, repetitive re-uploading of the same old files will give us more time to have more meaningful and entertaining discussions on these forums, rather than having them be spammed with requests for the same old songs 24/7.

On one level, I agree. It's really cool to see people working together to help each other like that. On another level, though, if it's not necessary, is it worth the trouble? Isn't that really just inconveniencing both the music-seekers and the music-havers to constantly force the former to go begging through the forums for songs, and forcing the latter to go to the trouble of uploading and re-uploading those songs, and to be annoyed by the constant repeats of the same old thread of another new person looking for the same old song? For as many people who enjoy being able to directly help the song-seekers, there must be at least as many people who are simply annoyed by always having the same songs asked for by new users, and who thus would greatly appreciate having a centralized location to direct those users to.

I can't think of many enriching conversations that arose or deep friendships that were forged through simple file-sharing. Although doing favors for one another is obviously an awesomely nice thing, it'll surely continue without placing artificial limits on how difficult or easy it is to find songs; and in any case most good conversations and friendships surely arise from both parties wanting to have fun hanging out and talking with other fans, not from necessity. People should make friends of fellow Reginaphiles because they want to; we shouldn't "force" them to when all they want is to listen to Regina. That's putting the community before the music in importance.

Even if somehow, eventually, we manage to provide stable hosting for every Regina song in existence (or at least all the ones that weren't officially released), which is unlikely even if we try our hardest to do it, that will not somehow end all "underground fan sharing", much less all Regina-fan community. There will always be new things to share and discuss: new songs, new pictures, new albums, new live performances, etc. Having all that stuff centralized at Reginapolis will not end the fan-sharing and sense of community and helping each other out; it will simply minimalize the amount of time and effort involved in that, giving us more time to actually talk about Regina, Regina's music, and each other's interests and goings-on and such, rather than all of us spending a majority of our time endlessly repeating the same "hey do you have X?" "yeah, here y'go" conversations. It's sweet, I agree (people's willingness to help others, that is), but re-uploading the same files every few days for new fans gets old eventually. Why not replace most of those with introduction threads and fun games and the like, and keep the same awesome sense of community without making it entirely dependant upon unnecessarily disorganized, time-consuming, and inconveniencing file-sharing?

I don't see a need to worry about this now, though. Obviously even the possibility of having every Regina song available somewhere, much less at one place, is an extremely distant and implausible one. We should be worried about establishing a foundation of the songs we do have first, not building a cage for ourselves before we've even learned to fly.

Also, there's a more practical and considerate reason to not base our file-sharing unnecessarily (i.e., any more than we need to) on "on request" uploads. Remember that for every person who takes the time to make such a request on the forums, there must be dozens more who never bothered to, for one reason or another--they might have been too shy, or too busy, or they might not have wanted to jump through the hoops of registering with Groupee and the forum. Many of those people never get the songs they're looking for, or have to wait many months before it turns up, because they weren't going to be posting to the forums anyway.

So, yes, there might be a few people who end up not posting to this forum because they find all the stuff they're looking to on the site anyway. And, yes, it will be sad to miss their charming presence for 1-2 posts they usually make. But it is selfish of us to choose to force people to register to the forums and make a post in order to get the song they want; it's perfectly OK (indeed, it's incredibly nice and considerate and helpful!) to do that now, because so many songs simply aren't available by any other method. But while it's awesome to go to the trouble of uploading those songs for people who want them, it's just inconsiderate to the many Spektor-lurkers out there to voluntarily opt to make songs "on-request" only, when you could just as easily make a permanent url for them. If an on-request upload is the best we have, then of course it's awesome to give them that; but if we do get the opportunity to do better than that for any (or all) songs, and put them somewhere permanent, then we should seize that opportunity! It's just nicer to the silent ones. For every fan who takes the time to post to a Regina community, there are hundreds of fans who never do so; hundreds of people who we can share some fantastic music with much more effectively if we opt to upload songs to a stable site, rather than a temporary one, when given a chance (and when it's not too much of an inconvenience).