Sign in to follow this  
Raugust

An up-to-date Regina fansite?

Eeker Zoinks! My monopoly has been smashed!

I need to stop by here more often.

Given the length of this thread, let me organize my thoughts:

1. Sorry if I've seemed aloof, guys. I don't check e-mail too often and, when I do, I certainly don't read it all (especially if I don't immediately recognize the sender).

2. In any case, I'm totally in favor of more and better fansites, and I'd be glad to help out if needed. As a full-time collaborator, though, I'm probably not the best choice (see 1, above).

3. Although I can appreciate the desire for comprehensiveness & consistency, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the officially unofficial unreleased song nomenclature...people will still end up calling them whatever they want. Heck, Kurt Cobain's been dead for 12 years and you still see songs (unreleased or not) referred to by a half-dozen different titles (yep, I'm also a Nirvana geek).

4. That said...Silly Eye-Color Generalizations must be hyphenated for the same reason that One-String Blues must be hyphenated. Nine years of Catholic-nun education prevent me from entertaining any arguments to the contrary. Don't make me come over there!

quote:
The idea of "impeaching" a fansite's webmaster presumes that a webmaster is like a president; the idea of "dethroning" a fansite's webmaster presumes that a webmaster is like a king. Neither one could be further from the truth. Fandom is democratic, because love and art are democratic.
Oh no...you will find that it is you who are mistaken...about a great many things! I am, by divine right, Enlightened Despot, Chief Financial Officer, Premier Consul, Minister of Truth, and Commissioner for life of Fandom, along with its attendant fiefdoms, satellite states, successors & assigns. Kneel before Srg!! :P

2: Ooh, sounds good. You'd probably be of enormous help with the site, and any input you feel like giving would be hugely appreciated; feel free to spend as much or as little time as you wish contributing to the new site. Big Grin

I don't want to barrage you with too many questions or requests right now, but one thing I've been curious about, while browsing through reginaspektor.net recently, is the songs listed in the lyrics section as having live recordings, which most of us don't seem to be able to find. Specifically, I was wondering if you have (or know of) recordings of "Be Like a Cloud", "Oh, Marcello!", "The Floor Heard Everything", or "Woolen Gloves". Less importantly, the site also mentions live recordings of "BYOS", "I Want to Sing", "Just Like the Movies", "Ne Me Quitte Pas", "Paris", "Raindrops", "Reading Time with Pickle", and "The Soup", which I've only heard studio recordings of. Are any of these errors, or have the live versions just not turned up lately?

3: Indeed, I guess the name we assign to those two songs is a relatively trivial matter right now; we should be worrying more about the general layout and construction of the site. Thanks to reginaspektor.net, however, the Reginaphiles done a pretty great job so far of keeping song names mostly straight and consistent. I hope to keep Reginapolis a part of that tradition of nonconfusing song names. (Speaking of which, I'm just curious: what are your personal opinions on "Stop Right Now" vs. "the clocks were asleep", and "Definition of a Crazy Person" vs. "I cut off my hair"? I'm curious about whether there was any particular motivation you had behind choosing the first line rather than the recurring phrase for the former song, for example, in case there's something I'm missing.)

4. I'm pretty sure that "Eye Color" and "One-String" have different grammatical functions in those two phrases. If you saw a song called "Eye Color Blues", would you feel the urge to correct it to "Eye-Color Blues"? The reason "One-String Blues" is correct is because "one-string" functions on an adjective all on its own; "eye color", on the other hand, functions as a noun all on its own. Thus, "Old-Time Blues" might be correct, but "Tall-Tower Blues" isn't. "Cold-Hearted Blues" and "Horse-Killing Blues" are clearly correct, but "Department-Store Blues" or "Eye-Color Blues" just look wrong. For the same reason, "Department-Store Generalizations" looks wrong, and "Silly Department-Store Generalizations" looks equally wrong, and for the same reason as that, "Silly Eye-Color Generalizations" looks wrong. :/ Hyphens are almost never used in such situations: noun-noun and adverb-adjective compound mondifiers don't rely on them like adjective-adjective ("cold-hearted") or number-noun ("Three-Word Blues") ones do.

Also, I highly doubt that Regina received nine years of Catholic nun education. Wink So if she probably wouldn't spell it that way, we shouldn't either.

5: I stand corrected. Big GrinBig Grin

i've only got two live versions of "Ne Me Quitte Pas" on this computer, but I've got the live "BYOS" and "Reading Time with Pickle" somewhere in my other computer. I'll try to find them after finals. Here's the ones I've got as of now...

http://download.yousendit.com/4C813B84173492DA

and

http://download.yousendit.com/5CF070915856C3A5

Well, I'm a bit late to this party, but I'd like to offer some assistance anyway.

I don't know how much of the server-side code you guys have written for reginapolis yet, but I'd like to make some suggestions and offer my coding services.

First, a brief introduction... I'm a senior computer science major at Cal Poly, and have a good deal of experience in server-side web programming. At the moment, I'm doing an internship in web development and database programming with amazon.com (my first job in the "big-time"). My expertise is not really in the web-design aspect, but it looks like you've already got that covered.

What I can offer is any server-side coding that needs done. I'm well-versed in ASP.NET, Java Servlets, JSP, PHP, and pretty much any other web-programming language out there. I've also worked with Javascript and AJAX should there be a need for more client-side developers. I can do HTML and CSS too, if need be, but someone with more artistic flare should probably handle that.

My biggest suggestion in the design of this site would be to use a database-driven content system. Some of the fanpages I have seen so far are based on this paradigm, but others (while I certainly appreciate the effort and the large amount of great mp3s they offer) seem to be done more-or-less with flat HTML pages and href's to files.

Having a database-driven site would allow for searching and sorting of songs and articles, as well as for very-easy updating and the ability for user-content to be seemlessly integrated.

I'd guess that you were already planning on doing it that way, but if not, you should really consider it.

As I said before, I'd be happy to help with whatever needs done. You can contact me here or email me at aaron.eshbach@gmail.com

Good luck with the site Smiler

Ragaust - My comment was definitely more about not changing things than it was about using the first line exclusively. I'm definitely not as good of a fan as you, because I couldn't have pulled all those song titles out of thin air like you did, and I certainly wasn't thinking about them that way.

I suppose we can always change those two, but if that's the case, I'd say we should start right now with making a new thread about the proposed name-change, and talk about it elsewhere online so that people know what we want to do. I don't think we can just do it based on three people. Due to the nature of sites like last.fm, the old names are very much out and about, so it will definitely cause confusion. But if other people are up for it, then why not. I think if you got a good 50 people who were up for it, it'd be okay. Then it'd just be up to the fansite people and individual fans to change the tags on their mp3s so new fans don't get confused, and so the new names are picked up by last.fm and those sites.

Your arguments are definitely far more logic based, and actual lyric/song knowledge based, than mine. Honestly, I don't see why we can't, my real problem is just changing things from what they have been for so long. But you know, maybe this is a good time to do it anyway. The fanbase is just starting to spread, and people who love Fidelity are starting to poke around. I think you really should get a poll or petition up and see how the fans as a whole respond.

P.S. I'm really quite impressed by all the names you're throwing out. In addition, I don't want you to feel like I'm arguing against you. I may be arguing, but it's definitely not personal at all. After all, I hardly know you at all.

Fran - I'll get back to you on that when we're further down the line of making the site! I imagine it'd be the usual 468x60, 100x35, and 88x31, but I don't want to say anything just yet, just in case!

srg - Thanks for popping in. Having you as a consultant and sometimes-conspirator for the site would be fantastic, given that your site is currently THE WORD on the fandom, and given that you seem to know far more than any of us do, when it comes to these things.

quote:
Originally posted by eshbach:

Well, I'm a bit late to this party, but I'd like to offer some assistance anyway.

I don't know how much of the server-side code you guys have written for reginapolis yet, but I'd like to make some suggestions and offer my coding services.

First, a brief introduction... I'm a senior computer science major at Cal Poly, and have a good deal of experience in server-side web programming. At the moment, I'm doing an internship in web development and database programming with amazon.com (my first job in the "big-time"). My expertise is not really in the web-design aspect, but it looks like you've already got that covered.

What I can offer is any server-side coding that needs done. I'm well-versed in ASP.NET, Java Servlets, JSP, PHP, and pretty much any other web-programming language out there. I've also worked with Javascript and AJAX should there be a need for more client-side developers. I can do HTML and CSS too, if need be, but someone with more artistic flare should probably handle that.

My biggest suggestion in the design of this site would be to use a database-driven content system. Some of the fanpages I have seen so far are based on this paradigm, but others (while I certainly appreciate the effort and the large amount of great mp3s they offer) seem to be done more-or-less with flat HTML pages and href's to files.

Having a database-driven site would allow for searching and sorting of songs and articles, as well as for very-easy updating and the ability for user-content to be seemlessly integrated.

I'd guess that you were already planning on doing it that way, but if not, you should really consider it.

As I said before, I'd be happy to help with whatever needs done. You can contact me here or email me at aaron.eshbach@gmail.com

Good luck with the site Smiler

I've been planning on doing straight up html/css, and using cutenews (a free, php-based content system) for the "news" page.

If you have better ideas, such as a better news-updating system with ability for multiple users to log in under different accounts, that would be great.

In addition, I currently plan on doing the lyrics in straight HTML. A page for each song, at the top listing any other names for the song, the first time played live, etc., and then a master page with links to each of those pages. Probably a javascript drop-down box at the top of each lyrics page somewhere as well, done with includes so I could just update the one list, and not have to update each page's drop-down list seperately.

If you have a better way to do the lyrics, particularly one that also could be updated by a number of people with seperate login names, that would be really great. Because clearly people like Ragaust will have to be able to get in there and make changes.

But, to close, YEAH, I'm really more an artsy type than a coding type, and I'd/we'd love your help!

quote:
My comment was definitely more about not changing things than it was about using the first line exclusively.

I know, I know. I just wanted to make the point that if we're trying to be consistent, using the first line is counterproductive because we've almost never done that in the past. Smiler

quote:
I'm definitely not as good of a fan as you, because I couldn't have pulled all those song titles out of thin air like you did, and I certainly wasn't thinking about them that way.

Nonsense, you're a much better fan than me. You're just a less anal one. :P I didn't pull 'em from thin air, I just looked back over the list of song titles I made last page, double-checked reginaspektor.net for their lyrics, and posted the ones that were named based on a common recurring phrase, rather than on the first line of the song. It was meant to demonstrate how much better songs look when we don't just rely on the first line, and to demonstrate how much more common that method is already.

quote:
I suppose we can always change those two, but if that's the case, I'd say we should start right now with making a new thread about the proposed name-change, and talk about it elsewhere online so that people know what we want to do. I don't think we can just do it based on three people.

I agree entirely. If nothing else, it will give us an idea of how people would prefer new songs were named in the future, since situations like this will surely turn up again and again.

quote:
Due to the nature of sites like last.fm, the old names are very much out and about, so it will definitely cause confusion.

True. But that confusion will mostly be short-term. With the help of sites like this forum and Reginapolis, we can make the accepted name very clear and consistent, whatever it may be. I just think it's better to talk about and get the fans' opinions on now, rather than waiting another year or two when it'll be that much more difficult.

quote:
Then it'd just be up to the fansite people and individual fans to change the tags on their mp3s so new fans don't get confused, and so the new names are picked up by last.fm and those sites.

Mmhmm. Luckily, "I cut off my hair" and "The clocks were asleep" are some of Regina's more obscure songs. And if Reginapolis ends up becoming a sort of "hub" for file-sharing, it will be much easier for us to popularize the new titles (assuming that's what people end up voting for) since that's what will be available on the site.

quote:
Honestly, I don't see why we can't, my real problem is just changing things from what they have been for so long.

I understand entirely. And if the other fans agree with you, then I'll go along with it forever. I don't want to force new titles down anyone's throats, I just want to find out what people think, for future reference. It shouldn't be a big deal.

quote:
I think you really should get a poll or petition up and see how the fans as a whole respond.

OK. Where do you want me to start? I'm a little busy at the moment, so if I'm going to be doing it myself, I might want to wait until after finals...

quote:
In addition, I don't want you to feel like I'm arguing against you. I may be arguing, but it's definitely not personal at all.

I don't have any problem with people arguing against me. Smiler I thrive on discourse like this, and I don't take any of it personally. People can agree to disagree. I, too, apologize if any of my comments caused offense or seemed unduly pushy.

Also, thanks a ton @ TheLastLizard! I guess I just didn't look hard enough for some of those.

All the people offering to help out with the site in so many different ways is really heartwarming and exciting. I'm sure this is going to turn out great. Smiler

david's 2 cents..just make sure on this new super-group fan site that you can download all the sheet music from the yahoo group Matt W (bloodroses) created.

that is all carry on with this enourmous thread which i have not read at all